News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

SMF Busy... Forum Downtime?

Started by ZLoth, March 21, 2024, 07:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

For the past several days, I got a message that SMF was busy. Was this an update?
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Alps

No, but they appear to have solved the problem.

cl94

Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Alps on March 21, 2024, 07:41:06 PM
No, but they appear to have solved the problem.
I guess so if we're here.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Ted$8roadFan

Scott5114

Quote from: ZLoth on March 21, 2024, 07:40:23 PM
For the past several days, I got a message that SMF was busy. Was this an update?

The SQL server was overloaded with requests, so the host shut it down (I don't know in what universe that makes sense as a response to high traffic, but that's what they did).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

cl94

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 21, 2024, 07:51:44 PM

The SQL server was overloaded with requests, so the host shut it down (I don't know in what universe that makes sense as a response to high traffic, but that's what they did).

I can think of a few reasons why this may happen, but I'm not going to state them on a public forum. Isn't SQL fun?
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

TempoNick

Somebody must really hate you guys.

ZLoth

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 21, 2024, 07:51:44 PM

More than likely, the "server" at the hosting company/data center isn't a dedicated machine, but a virtualization holding multiple "servers", and the SQL overload was affecting the other instances.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Alex

The server being busy was not random, as something, or someone flooded the MySQL database with call requests. I got Ionos support to unlock the database, as I could not even access it through the server control panel.
Kind of hard to determine anything when you cannot access either SMF here or the database there... So while the forum is running now, we need to figure out what happened, determine what security measures can or need to be taken, etc. before saying everything is back to normal.

hotdogPi

I can't view anyone's profile.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Henry

As Charlie Brown would say, good grief!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ElishaGOtis

Quote from: 1 on March 21, 2024, 09:25:00 PM

Same.  :coffee:

Shows this on every profile:
Database Error
Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.
When there are Teslas, there are Toll Roads

davewiecking

I can see my stats...

Seriously, I appreciate all the effort by the admins to get the forum back online. As I'm sure they're aware, it's still running slow.

freebrickproductions

I wouldn't be too surprised if the slowness is related to whatever issue caused the database to get locked.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

rickmastfan67

Interesting.  Even I can't see other's profiles.

MATraveler128

Getting the same problem on my end including not being able to see my own profile.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

freebrickproductions

Also can't see people's profiles.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

CoreySamson

Is this a problem unique to our forum, or are other forums/websites that use SQL having issues as well? (I know nothing about coding or web design, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt)

But regardless of the issue, all I can say is thank you to all the moderators and admins that have helped keep the forum running. Greatly appreciate y'all!
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Scott5114

Quote from: CoreySamson on March 21, 2024, 11:37:16 PM
Is this a problem unique to our forum, or are other forums/websites that use SQL having issues as well?

Pretty much every website these days uses SQL, so it's probably just us.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alex

The viewing others profile option should work now. I changed some things in the database last night and caused that.

That being said, the forum database is still being flooded with call requests, so I may switch it into maintenance mode again until I can figure out what to try next...

hotdogPi

Quote from: Alex on March 22, 2024, 08:36:32 AM
The viewing others profile option should work now. I changed some things in the database last night and caused that.

It doesn't.

Unrelated question: Are these extra requests generating additional ad revenue?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Alex

Quote from: 1 on March 22, 2024, 08:37:18 AM
Quote from: Alex on March 22, 2024, 08:36:32 AM

It doesn't.

Yeah I just realized that, I need more time to figure this out.

SectorZ

OK who did we piss off recently that's screwing with this place.

Is some Fin trying to relegate us to a lower-tier forum?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.