Regional Boards > Northwest

Never-built highways of the Northwest

<< < (30/31) > >>

Bruce:
Some interesting designs for the NE 4th Street interchange in Bellevue, particularly those trying to fit in access to Main Street.

https://cdm16977.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p16977coll10/id/3649/rec/16

jakeroot:

--- Quote from: Bruce on April 05, 2022, 03:21:24 AM ---Some interesting designs for the NE 4th Street interchange in Bellevue, particularly those trying to fit in access to Main Street.

https://cdm16977.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p16977coll10/id/3649/rec/16

--- End quote ---

Very intriguing. I suppose a lot of these plans made more sense back when 114 Ave SE was one-way.

TEG24601:

When I lived in Portland, I was always fascinated with the ramps to nowhere.  So much so that I went digging through the archives, and found several interesting things, including connecting US 26 through downtown to the old Harbor Freeway, a new bridge and expressway north of St. Johns, the Prescott and Mt. Hood Freeways, and the original route for I-5, which was actually going to be either at Grand/MLK, or around 10th/11th, and be a covered freeway, instead of along the waterfront.

--- Quote from: Bruce on October 17, 2021, 05:18:31 AM ---And from Portland: the 1964 plan for I-205, which would have been closer to the city and cut through Lake Oswego (who strongly opposed it).

Source: The Oregonian, June 11, 1964

--- End quote ---

Bruce:
Another short and relatively unknown project: the Michigan Street Connector. Would have linked SR 509 to I-5 via a new bridge over the Duwamish River with options to continue to the R. H. Thomson Expressway. The Seattle Times drew this map in 1967:

The article describes it as an alternative to the Connecticut Street Viaduct, another cancelled project that would have extended I-90 to the Alaskan Way Viaduct.

Alps:

--- Quote from: Bruce on November 18, 2022, 01:00:29 AM ---Another short and relatively unknown project: the Michigan Street Connector. Would have linked SR 509 to I-5 via a new bridge over the Duwamish River with options to continue to the R. H. Thomson Expressway. The Seattle Times drew this map in 1967:

The article describes it as an alternative to the Connecticut Street Viaduct, another cancelled project that would have extended I-90 to the Alaskan Way Viaduct.

--- End quote ---
That sure explains the giant long ramps right there

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version