News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

2022 FIFA World Cup

Started by NWI_Irish96, March 29, 2022, 06:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on November 18, 2022, 08:53:01 AM

A: Netherlands, Qatar
B: England, USA
C: Argentina, Mexico
D: France, Denmark
E: Spain, Japan
F: Belgium, Canada
G: Brazil, Serbia
H: Uruguay, South Korea

Missed 7 of 16. I clearly undervalued Asia and Africa and overvalued North America.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on November 18, 2022, 08:53:01 AM
Round of 16:
USA over Netherlands
Argentina over Denmark
Canada over Spain
Brazil over South Korea
England over Qatar
France over Mexico
Belgium over Japan
Serbia over Uruguay

Quarterfinals:
Argentina over USA
Brazil over Canada
France over  England
Belgium over Serbia

Semifinals:
Argentina over Brazil
France over Belgium

3rd place:
Brazil over Belgium

Final:
France over Argentina

I still like France to win, but I now think they face Brazil in the final, not Argentina. I think Morocco gets the semifinal slot that obviously can't be Belgium.

NWI_Irish96

Ranking the final 16 based strictly on points/goal differential/goals scored:

1 England
2 Netherlands
3 Morocco
4 France
5 Argentina
6 Portugal
7 Brazil
8 Senegal
9 Japan
10 Switzerland
11 Australia
12 Croatia
13 USA
14 Spain
15 South Korea
16 Poland

Road Hog

Unfortunately tomorrow morning's match will be Netherlands vs. Pulisic's nether regions.

Road Hog

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on December 02, 2022, 07:16:26 PM
Ranking the final 16 based strictly on points/goal differential/goals scored:

1 England
2 Netherlands
3 Morocco
4 France
5 Argentina
6 Portugal
7 Brazil
8 Senegal
9 Japan
10 Switzerland
11 Australia
12 Croatia
13 USA
14 Spain
15 South Korea
16 Poland
I would love to see a historical breakdown of how these metrics impacted previous tournaments. It's been 56 years since England brought it home.

1995hoo

Quote from: Road Hog on December 02, 2022, 08:57:00 PM
Unfortunately tomorrow morning's match will be Netherlands vs. Pulisic's nether regions.

It'll be nuts if the US wins.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Bruce

For those wondering why soccer players seem fine after going down with an injury, there's an explanation buried in this article about magic (freezing) spray:

QuoteIt's common for soccer players to take impacts in bony areas, which can cause pain but don't often lead to lasting injuries.

While there's a lot of theatrics (especially when certain teams are involved), sometimes players just need a minute to get through the pain and get back into the game.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Bruce on December 03, 2022, 12:03:34 AM
For those wondering why soccer players seem fine after going down with an injury, there's an explanation buried in this article about magic (freezing) spray:

QuoteIt's common for soccer players to take impacts in bony areas, which can cause pain but don't often lead to lasting injuries.

While there's a lot of theatrics (especially when certain teams are involved), sometimes players just need a minute to get through the pain and get back into the game.

The flopping is out of control and takes away from the flow of the game. Make any injured player sit for 2 - 5 minutes and we'll quickly see who is truly injured

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 03, 2022, 01:28:46 AM

The flopping is out of control and takes away from the flow of the game. Make any injured player sit for 2 - 5 minutes and we'll quickly see who is truly injured

There is now the ability to go to VAR for an egregious flop and issue a yellow card so it's subsided somewhat.

NWI_Irish96

Starting XI:

Turner
Robinson Ream Zimmerman Dest
McKennie Adams Musah
Pulisic Ferreira Weah

Sargent unavailable due to injury

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Road Hog on December 02, 2022, 09:03:23 PM
I would love to see a historical breakdown of how these metrics impacted previous tournaments. It's been 56 years since England brought it home.

Well, it didn't have to go far.  :-D
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Bruce

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 03, 2022, 01:28:46 AM

MLS Next is doing just that, and eventually it could be implemented in pro leagues. That said, soccer subs work too differently to allow for a revolving door of players on the field, and sometimes players just need a breather.

therocket

The U.S. is on pace to do worse than Qatar in this Round of 16 game (Trailing 2-0 at halftime, on pace to lose 4-0).

Ted$8roadFan

On pace to lose 3-1. Better than being shut out, but still..........

therocket

Bruce

A young team that managed to play well in the group stage despite their inexperience and held England to a shutout. I'm content with the performances, but wish there was better finishing up top. The team is missing a lethal striker.

thspfc

Maybe next time we could try playing defense. Missed chances, ok, whatever, every team misses chances. There's no reason why Netherlands should have scored 3 goals, and had great opportunities for a couple more, considering how little possession they had inside our half. Robinson in particular was uninterested in defending Dumfries. Reyna wasn't the game changer he's been cracked up to be.

Overall though, I would consider this tournament to be mostly a success for the US. Only 3 goals in 4 matches is disappointing, but we did show the ability to possess the ball for long stretches and create chances against top teams like England and Netherlands. Sitting deep and defending the whole game might work once, maybe twice if you're lucky, but in order to make a really deep run at a WC, you have to control the game, and we showed we can do that. The main focus going forward will be finding a true no. 9 who puts it in the net.

Hunty2022

Since the USA got eliminated, I'm gonna have to cheer for England now.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

GaryV

Quote from: Bruce on December 02, 2022, 03:27:58 PM
Quote from: CoreySamson on December 02, 2022, 03:15:36 PM
Quote from: Bruce on December 02, 2022, 03:03:21 PM
English-speaking sports media is stuck in the Stone Ages wrt. soccer coverage in this country, so it's no surprise they've been bungling it for a while. Fox's production this year has been particularly bad, and we're stuck with them through 2026.
This may just be a "minor thing that bothers me", but I absolutely hate the way the commentator Fox uses for US's WC games calls goals. European soccer commentators are much better at calling goals.

John Strong isn't all that bad, and certainly better than the British ones who put you to sleep. Have to remember that they have to bring a distinctly American flavor to commentary to reel in the casuals.

I like the announcer (Derek Rae) on the ARG/AUS game. You can only understand about every 3rd word, so you can totally ignore him.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: GaryV on December 03, 2022, 03:09:40 PM
Quote from: Bruce on December 02, 2022, 03:27:58 PM
Quote from: CoreySamson on December 02, 2022, 03:15:36 PM
Quote from: Bruce on December 02, 2022, 03:03:21 PM
English-speaking sports media is stuck in the Stone Ages wrt. soccer coverage in this country, so it's no surprise they've been bungling it for a while. Fox's production this year has been particularly bad, and we're stuck with them through 2026.
This may just be a "minor thing that bothers me", but I absolutely hate the way the commentator Fox uses for US's WC games calls goals. European soccer commentators are much better at calling goals.

John Strong isn't all that bad, and certainly better than the British ones who put you to sleep. Have to remember that they have to bring a distinctly American flavor to commentary to reel in the casuals.

I like the announcer (Derek Rae) on the ARG/AUS game. You can only understand about every 3rd word, so you can totally ignore him.

I have zero issues understanding him.

Billy F 1988

Throw shade at me all you want, but the U.S. men's team is not World Cup worthy regardless of the age of the team itself. One bad decision after another and that's all we show these soccer fans in this year's World Cup? Might as well keep them out of the 2026 World Cup, too.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

thspfc

That's an . . . interesting take.

Bruce

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on December 03, 2022, 09:48:53 PM
Throw shade at me all you want, but the U.S. men's team is not World Cup worthy regardless of the age of the team itself. One bad decision after another and that's all we show these soccer fans in this year's World Cup? Might as well keep them out of the 2026 World Cup, too.

The CONCACAF champions in several competitions who also finished top 3 in the qualifying rounds does not deserve to be in the World Cup? Then who do?

Mexico? Costa Rica? Canada? They all crashed out of the group stage.

Alps

I find it interesting that two USA team players are local to me and both play for Leeds in Premier League. Shows how we've grown since 1994.

Bruce

Quote from: Alps on December 04, 2022, 12:58:22 AM
I find it interesting that two USA team players are local to me and both play for Leeds in Premier League. Shows how we've grown since 1994.

New Jersey has been a reliable source of soccer talent. Kearny alone produced Tony Meola, John Harkes, and Tab Ramos on the 1994 team.

As for Aaronson and Adams, they followed Marsch and had been under his tutelage at various points in the Red Bull system.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.