News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Rams and Raiders to Los Angeles?

Started by bing101, November 11, 2014, 09:19:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 03, 2015, 10:38:19 AM
The NFL purposely left the Cowboys in the NFC East due to the strong rivalries between all 4 current division teams (Eagles, Giants, Redskins, Cowboys).

Yep. When the NFL realigned into four-team divisions, the Cardinals were left out (moved from the NFC East to the NFC West, partially offsetting the three former NFC West teams moved to the new NFC South). They were not happy about losing the Cowboys as a division rival, or the resulting loss of ticket sales.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Henry on November 05, 2015, 12:20:21 PM
That wouldn't be much fun to watch, would it? Which is probably why the NFC East is the most-watched division in the entire NFL, no matter how bad it may be now.

That's more a statement about population than the intensity of the fandom.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

1995hoo

Quote from: oscar on November 05, 2015, 12:30:06 PM
The NFL purposely left the Cowboys in the NFC East due to the strong rivalries between all 4 current division teams (Eagles, Giants, Redskins, Cowboys).

Yep. When the NFL realigned into four-team divisions, the Cardinals were left out (moved from the NFC East to the NFC West, partially offsetting the three former NFC West teams moved to the new NFC South). They were not happy about losing the Cowboys as a division rival, or the resulting loss of ticket sales.

It was also why the first season after the realignment saw the NFC East play the NFC West, with Dallas visiting Arizona–a sort of consolation prize for the Cardinals.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Henry

So it looks like the Chargers have played their last game in San Diego, and the Rams have done the same in St. Louis; fortunately, they both won. Hopefully the Raiders will win their potential final game in Oakland, which will be played against (gasp!) the Chargers; can anyone say coincidence?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Alex

Quote from: Henry on December 21, 2015, 01:30:42 PM
So it looks like the Chargers have played their last game in San Diego, and the Rams have done the same in St. Louis; fortunately, they both won. Hopefully the Raiders will win their potential final game in Oakland, which will be played against (gasp!) the Chargers; can anyone say coincidence?

Why not also move the Jacksonville Jaguars to L.A. and we can have the NFL Los Angeles division...

KEVIN_224

But then who would play in London every year? ;)

Alex

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on December 21, 2015, 09:01:03 PM

Well since they'd all play in Carson,  some of the Los Angeles teams would default their home games there.

Then Roger Goodell and Mike Helton can cheer how they completed their mutual railroading of their respective sports.  :cheers:

Henry

Quote from: Alex on December 21, 2015, 06:45:29 PM
Quote from: Henry on December 21, 2015, 01:30:42 PM

Why not also move the Jacksonville Jaguars to L.A. and we can have the NFL Los Angeles division...
Quote from: Alex on December 22, 2015, 09:12:29 AM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on December 21, 2015, 09:01:03 PM

Well since they'd all play in Carson,  some of the Los Angeles teams would default their home games there.

Then Roger Goodell and Mike Helton can cheer how they completed their mutual railroading of their respective sports.  :cheers:
:rofl:
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

tidecat

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on October 17, 2015, 09:24:15 AM
Isn't team location pretty irrelevant, since the NFL lives and dies on TV revenue? As long as people in L.A. can watch NFL games, that's all the league really cares about. It's the team owners that would benefit from ticket and merchandise sales.
Stadium revenue is not insignificant, and IIRC, less of it is shared with the league, as opposed to TV revenue, where everyone gets the same share.  Premium seating is especially hot right now, with high-end experiences driving stadium design (like a club that stretches the length of the field).

To your point, it really wouldn't matter if a team played in Atlanta or Athens, as long as a capacity crowd is there on game day, and the team gets the bulk of the operational revenue.  Of course, the closer to a major population center, the easier it is to sell premium seating to corporate buyers, but for the right experience, distance is no issue.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

tidecat

Quote from: texaskdog on November 05, 2015, 11:46:13 AM

Would much rather see the Texans, Broncos, and Cardinals (or even texans, saints, & titans) in a regional rivalry with the Cowboys.
Putting Dallas in the South splits up Atlanta and Carolina, or Atlanta and Tampa Bay.  Moving Tampa Bay to the East would probably be the more palatable of the two.

There was talk of an "AFC Gulf Coast" division back in the 1990s when Carolina and Jacksonville were added, which would have included New Orleans, the Houston Oilers, and the three Florida teams.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

Alex

At this point, why doesn't every team that can't get a subsidized stadium deal join the Los Angeles bandwagon?

Chargers, Raiders and Rams file for relocation to Los Angeles

QuoteThe San Diego Chargers quit dipping their toe in the baby pool and took a plunge into the deep end Monday night, officially filing papers with the NFL for relocation to Los Angeles.

The Raiders and Rams also filed relocation papers on Monday.

QuoteWe have tried for more than 14 years, through nine separate proposals and seven different mayors, to create a world-class stadium experience for fans in San Diego. Despite these efforts, there is still no certain, actionable solution to the stadium problem. We are sad to have reached this point.

What happens next is in the hands of the NFL's owners, who will meet in Houston on January 12-13. The Chargers have pledged from the outset to respect whatever decision the League ownership makes.

The Rams were less ... wordy.

The St. Louis Rams informed the National Football League today that the Rams propose to relocate to the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area. The relocation would be effective for the 2016 NFL League Year.

QuoteMaking matters potentially awkward, Spanos said the Chargers will stay in San Diego if the owners don't approve the team's relocation.

"Well we're back here and we'll be here for the next year for sure," Spanos said. "We'll look at all the possibilities with the city and see what our alternatives could be."

Any team that does relocate will be subject to a $550 million relocation fee per NFL.com.

I read another article that talked about the Raiders and Chargers willing to share a stadium for home games. How would that work with both being in the same division? Oh wait, I forgot, they will be in the new Los Angeles Division with the Rams...

Will a metro area that has been without a team for 20 years support two or three teams? Ignoring the whole stadium blackmailing motivation, why not approve just one relocation and see how that fares first?

texaskdog

Quote from: Henry on November 05, 2015, 12:20:21 PM

Would much rather see the Texans, Broncos, and Cardinals (or even texans, saints, & titans) in a regional rivalry with the Cowboys.
That wouldn't be much fun to watch, would it? Which is probably why the NFC East is the most-watched division in the entire NFL, no matter how bad it may be now.

Broncos are usually good, and they played each other in a super bowl.  Texans would be an in-state rivalry.  Cardinals were in the east for years and thus have a history.

texaskdog

Quote from: tidecat on December 22, 2015, 11:30:40 PM

Putting Dallas in the South splits up Atlanta and Carolina, or Atlanta and Tampa Bay.  Moving Tampa Bay to the East would probably be the more palatable of the two.

There was talk of an "AFC Gulf Coast" division back in the 1990s when Carolina and Jacksonville were added, which would have included New Orleans, the Houston Oilers, and the three Florida teams.

I think any "radical realignment" would begin with 4 teams geographically close getting together.

Henry

Well, the New York metropolitan area has three NHL teams (New York Rangers, New York Islanders and New Jersey Devils), so there is precedent in having three teams in a single area. However, I still don't see L.A. following suit, seeing that two AFC rivals (Raiders and Chargers) are working together on the same stadium proposal (Carson). I predict that the Rams and Raiders go, although I would like to see the Rams try to work things out with St. Louis. Failing that, I could also see the Rams and Chargers be the ones to relocate, with the Raiders working things out with Oakland (and possibly reach a compromise with the A's).

english si

Quote from: Alex on January 05, 2016, 09:25:47 AMIgnoring the whole stadium blackmailing motivation, why not approve just one relocation and see how that fares first?
Or, better yet, relocate them to less desirable places to punish them for their stadium blackmailing.

Chargers to Chisinau, Raiders to Rangoon, Rams to Ramallah - that sort of thing ;)

ARMOURERERIC

Spanks will pay a 550$mil fee to move to LA but can't come up with $200m to make a local stadium deal work.

Right now the biggest loss locals fear if the Chargers leave is that of Azteks football.

triplemultiplex

So LA has three definite suitors...
Time to bring back:

NFL edition.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Henry

So now that the Chargers, Raiders and Rams have officially applied to move to Los Angeles, would you like to bet who actually gets to move there?

Going back to the New York example, I just remembered something...
Quote from: Henry on January 05, 2016, 10:22:54 AM
Well, the New York metropolitan area has three NHL teams (New York Rangers, New York Islanders and New Jersey Devils), so there is precedent in having three teams in a single area.
In addition, there were three MLB teams in the area for 54 years (New York Yankees, New York Giants, Brooklyn Dodgers), and they set the precedent long before the NHL teams did. Of course, the Giants and Dodgers play out west (in San Francisco and L.A., respectively).

swbrotha100

If only one team can move for the 2016 season, it makes sense that it would be the Rams. The L.A. Coliseum will only host one NFL team on a temporary basis. No other site in or around Los Angeles wants to host an NFL team temporarily. That and Stan Kroenke is the only one of the three owners who can build his own stadium (in Inglewood) without help from other owners or outside investors. The NFL also won't have to realign the NFC West and AFC West.

bing101

http://fox2now.com/2016/01/09/nfl-commissioner-says-rams-stadium-proposal-is-inadequate/

Well the Chances of Los Angeles getting the Rams are increasing with this press conference mentioned by Goodell. Supposedly the Proposal is inadequate.

Well Live and Die in LA the NFL edition Coming soon.

Pete from Boston

Reminds me of Major League Baseball's transparent manipulation of the Expos situation to shape the outcome of that process.  This Goodell statement is right out of that particular book of blackmail.

bing101

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-nfl-la-stadium-20160110-story.html

Update Oakland, St. Louis and San Diego do not have adequate proposals according to Goodell.

TravelingBethelite

Is anything 'adequete' to Goodell? Was there? Will there ever be? I don't think so.  :spin:
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

bing101

Henry

I think it's safe to say that the Rams are going back to L.A., and resume their rivalry with the 49ers. Sort of a football version of Dodgers-Giants: same cities, different sport.

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 10, 2016, 07:26:55 AM
Reminds me of Major League Baseball's transparent manipulation of the Expos situation to shape the outcome of that process.  This Goodell statement is right out of that particular book of blackmail.
The NBA also did this with the Sonics, IIRC. Which is part of the reason why they're the OKC Thunder now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.