News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most absurd VMS messages

Started by Pete from Boston, July 10, 2015, 12:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman on October 19, 2016, 10:09:06 AM
Just when you thought MassDOT couldn't outdo themselves with irrelevant (to the driving task) CMS messages.  Spotted last night on I-93 south, on the CMS boards south of Dascomb Road and at Route 129:

REPLACE SMOKE      TEST MONTHLY
DETECTORS             CHECK BATTERY
EVERY 10 YEARS

Wouldn't that be because it's for fire prevention month?

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 19, 2016, 10:41:46 AM
Just when you thought MassDOT couldn't outdo themselves with irrelevant (to the driving task) CMS messages.  Spotted last night on I-93 south, on the CMS boards south of Dascomb Road and at Route 129:

EVERY 10 YEARS

Wouldn't that be because it's for prevention month?

It could be hot dog appreciation month, but I don't want hot dog messages on VMSes.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 19, 2016, 10:41:46 AM

EVERY 10 YEARS

Wouldn't that be because it's for fire prevention month?
That's the type of thing that the requirement to flash PSAs on digital billboards is intended to cover.  They shouldn't be cluttering highway signs with non-highway messages.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

hotdogPi

This hasn't happened yet, but I could imagine this (on a 3x15 display):

GAME2|CUBS    0
TOP 3|INDIANS 0
MAN ON 1ST 1OUT

With live updates!
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

theline

Quote from: 1 on October 19, 2016, 04:00:26 PM

GAME2|CUBS    0
TOP 3|INDIANS 0
MAN ON 1ST 1OUT

With live updates!

As an Indians fan married to a Cubs fan, I'm hoping your crystal ball sees a week into the future.  :clap:

Pink Jazz

Quote from: 1 on October 19, 2016, 04:00:26 PM

GAME2|CUBS    0
TOP 3|INDIANS 0
MAN ON 1ST 1OUT

With live updates!

I see that you formatted it where everything lines up, however, fixed character matrix DMS are going by the wayside, since the industry trend is toward full matrix displays.  Many manufacturers don't even make fixed character matrix signs anymore.  ADOT in 2012 decided to go the full matrix route for this reason, even though they are not currently being used to their full potential such as displaying different fonts and graphics.  As far as I know ADOT uses the same software to program its signs statewide for compatibility reasons, which does not support different fonts or graphics, thus sometimes formatting is a bit imperfect on the full matrix signs due to the use of a font intended for fixed character matrix signs (this is usually more noticeable on the travel times displays around the Phoenix area when they are displayed on a full matrix sign).

Pink Jazz

Here is a message that I think could be ideal for this upcoming weekend:

QuoteBE A VETERAN
PLEASE BUCKLE UP

6a

Pink Jazz

Here is ADOT's message of the day:
MASH POTATOES
NOT YOUR HEAD
BUCKLE UP

Right on Red

Quote from: Pink Jazz on November 24, 2016, 03:13:19 PM

Here is ADOT's message of the day:
MASH POTATOES
NOT YOUR HEAD
BUCKLE UP

(from Reddit)

wanderer2575

Quote from: 6a on November 24, 2016, 02:06:46 PM

This message was also on all VMSs on I-75 and I-475 in the Toledo OH area.  I looped through there about 2:00 this morning.

The state DOTs must all subscribe to a newsletter to pick up these gems.

bzakharin

The Alantic City Expressway has been showing the following message on VMSs"

WHAT'S HOLDING YOU BACK
SEAT BELTS ? ? ?

I can see where they're trying to be clever, but to me it is sending the opposite of the intended message. Especially those question marks.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: wanderer2575 on November 25, 2016, 11:43:37 AM
Quote from: 6a on November 24, 2016, 02:06:46 PM

This message was also on all VMSs on I-75 and I-475 in the Toledo OH area.  I looped through there about 2:00 this morning.

The state DOTs must all subscribe to a newsletter to pick up these gems.

For whatever that reminds me of that s%##y movie Gigli where Jennifer Lopez said "it's turkey time, gobble, gobble."  :-D

roadman

Quote from: wanderer2575 on November 25, 2016, 11:43:37 AM

This is perhaps the biggest problem with posting "cleverly worded" messages that DOTs fail to recognize - overuse.  When MassDOT introduced the silly (to people who live outside of Boston) "Use Yah Blinka" messages, they appeared on every board in the state almost at the same time.  Kind of cute when you've seen it once or twice.  But just plain annoying when it's still on the eighth or ninth board you've passed under.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Bruce

Seen on I-270 in Maryland by a Twitter user:

hm insulators

Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

vtk

Back in November I was driving to Cincinnati a bit after the time change and a travel time message sign indicated over 200 minutes to I-275. I experienced no delay.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

cl94

Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Bruce

Sadly, it was proven fake. But the genuine is still pretty good (Consider Metro):

https://twitter.com/MDSHA/status/822462555679498241

SidS1045

Quote from: roadman on October 19, 2016, 01:22:59 PMThey shouldn't be cluttering highway signs with non-highway messages.

If the past is prologue, look for GO PATS or something similar on MA's VMS's as Super Bowl® Sunday approaches.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Pink Jazz

This weekend ADOT is doing some Super Bowl themed messages.  Todays message is:
QuoteBLOW THE WHISTLE
ON
DISTRACTED DRIVING

There are more coming this weekend.

Note that ADOT also plans a Valentine's Day message as well.  It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

EDIT:

Pink Jazz

Here is today's Super Bowl themed message from ADOT:

QuoteSPEEDING IS
UNSPORTSMANLIKE
CONDUCT

slorydn1

Quote from: Pink Jazz on February 04, 2017, 12:30:18 PM

Here is today's Super Bowl themed message from ADOT:

QuoteSPEEDING IS
UNSPORTSMANLIKE
CONDUCT

Nah. Speeding is more like a holding penalty or offsides. Drunk driving would be unsportsmanlike conduct, LOL.  :bigass:
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

MikeCL

Man ADOT has some crafty messages I wished we got half those here..

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MikeCL on February 04, 2017, 03:17:05 PM
Man ADOT has some crafty messages I wished we got half those here..

Seems like it is newer thing.  I don't remember the VMS signs having anything but the generic messages you'd expect to see during the entire duration of when I lived in Arizona.  They actually probably do a good job grabbing attention because of how silly or corny they get.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.