News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Battery Tunnel numbering?

Started by Michael in Philly, August 07, 2010, 10:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael in Philly

I just discovered Google Maps thinks the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel is part of I-278.  Not 478, 278.  (It would have to be a branch of 278, of course - they do properly have 278 running both north and south of the exit for the tunnel in Brooklyn.)  I know some sources list it as I-478; I think I've seen it treated as part of NY 9A.  I haven't driven there since the early 90s, probably; how is it actually marked?
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

TheStranger

I don't think 478 has ever been signed (especially with the northern section from I-78 to the tunnel being canceled in the mid-1980s) - IIRC, when I went through the tunnel in 1992, it was signed as 9A.
Chris Sampang

froggie

There is (was?) an END NY 9A sign southbound at Battery Park, after the turnoff to the tunnel.  The tunnel doesn't have a route number signed.  From I-278, it's signed simply as "Brooklyn Battery Tunnel".  From NY 9A, it's "Battery Tunnel, Brooklyn, "TO I-278", but no route number for the tunnel itself.

iwishiwascanadian

Isn't the Brooklyn-Batter Tunnel officially I-478 although it isn't signed.  It's in the same boat as I-595 in Maryland (US-50/301)

vdeane

Yes, it's unsigned I-478.  Google's just being stupid.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alex

Quote from: TheStranger on August 07, 2010, 11:54:56 AM
I don't think 478 has ever been signed (especially with the northern section from I-78 to the tunnel being canceled in the mid-1980s) - IIRC, when I went through the tunnel in 1992, it was signed as 9A.

We drove I-278 through there in 1993 and there were label scars from a 3di-shield on two panels for the Battery Tunnel (have video from that trip too). I assumed back then that they were for I-478, but could not verify it.

SSOWorld

I didn't notice the scars on the BBT BGS at all when I drove the BQE on Sunday - but then again, I wasn't paying attention.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alex

Quote from: Master son on August 09, 2010, 11:28:54 PM
I didn't notice the scars on the BBT BGS at all when I drove the BQE on Sunday - but then again, I wasn't paying attention.

Those button copy signs with the label scars are long gone.

SSOWorld

yeah my thought was it was reflective.  They had enough space for shield though.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

iwishiwascanadian

I just sent a thing to Google about the incorrect signage of the BBT, hopefully it should be resolved in about 6 weeks.  Most problems that I report get resolved within 6-8 weeks.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: iwishiwascanadian on August 16, 2010, 05:56:55 PM
I just sent a thing to Google about the incorrect signage of the BBT, hopefully it should be resolved in about 6 weeks.  Most problems that I report get resolved within 6-8 weeks.

Lucky you. Most problems I report never get fixed, even if I get an email saying they did and report them AGAIN.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

iwishiwascanadian

The Google Maps staff emailed me tonight and told me that I was right and that they will make the change and let me know when they do.

Roadgeek Adam

Let's put the fact that I-478 was much more significant before the Westway collapsed in 1972. After that, it was several years of debate over what to do with the controversial freeway. By 1977,  NY dumped funding Interstate 478 and it looks like they just truncated it back basically.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Michael in Philly

I'm in favor of not showing unsigned routes at all, on maps - at least maps whose main users are the general public trying to find their way from point A to point B.  Since you can't navigate by them.  I'd make an exception for things like the US routes in Indianapolis (haven't been there, but I understand they're all officially routed around 465 but not posted on it) - for the sake of continuity, I'd show them, but maybe put the marker in parentheses.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

iwishiwascanadian

I'm in favour of showing them as alternative to how their are signed currently.  I would because some GPS units and other maps show the unsigned routes as signed and therefore some people try to find their way by using the unsigned routes, and then they are surprised to find them as being unsigned. 

Duke87

Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on August 22, 2010, 10:22:00 AM
Let's put the fact that I-478 was much more significant before the Westway collapsed in 1972. After that, it was several years of debate over what to do with the controversial freeway. By 1977,  NY dumped funding Interstate 478 and it looks like they just truncated it back basically.

Was the old West Side Elevated Highway ever actually part of I-478? Trucks weren't allowed on it, so...
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Michael in Philly

Quote from: Duke87 on August 22, 2010, 08:24:36 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on August 22, 2010, 10:22:00 AM
Let's put the fact that I-478 was much more significant before the Westway collapsed in 1972. After that, it was several years of debate over what to do with the controversial freeway. By 1977,  NY dumped funding Interstate 478 and it looks like they just truncated it back basically.

Was the old West Side Elevated Highway ever actually part of I-478? Trucks weren't allowed on it, so...
I - when I was a map-obsessed kid growing up in North Jersey in the '70s - always associated the number 478 with the proposed Westway.  I don't think the West Side Highway was ever anything other than NY 9A.
But I just learned (re our other topic earlier) that the section of I-95 passing Philadelphia International Airport was in fact not opened until 1985 (source, pahighways.com).  So apparently my memory's not infallible.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

vdeane

Quote from: Duke87 on August 22, 2010, 08:24:36 PM

No idea, but trucks still aren't allowed on part of I-278.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

iwishiwascanadian

Is that due to the low clearances by the Brooklyn Bridge and the curves and whatnot?

Alps

Quote from: iwishiwascanadian on August 23, 2010, 01:22:32 PM
Is that due to the low clearances by the Brooklyn Bridge and the curves and whatnot?
It's part of the Grand Central Parkway - trucks aren't allowed on Parkways due to low bridge clearances and other design elements.  The only exception I know of is the Hutchinson River Pkwy between the Bruckner Interchange and the Whitestone Bridge, which was upgraded to I-678 but still retains the "Parkway" designation.  (The Gowanus Parkway became an Expressway when upgraded to I-278.)

vdeane

Also the Lake Ontario State Parkway in Orleans county, and possibly between Latta Rd and Lake Ave (this one is ambiguous).  Personally I think they should upgrade that part of I-278.

mapman1071

Quote from: AlpsROADS on August 23, 2010, 07:35:46 PM
Quote from: iwishiwascanadian on August 23, 2010, 01:22:32 PM
It's part of the Grand Central Parkway - trucks aren't allowed on Parkways due to low bridge clearances and other design elements.  The only exception I know of is the Hutchinson River Pkwy between the Bruckner Interchange and the Whitestone Bridge, which was upgraded to I-678 but still retains the "Parkway" designation.  (The Gowanus Parkway became an Expressway when upgraded to I-278.)

In November 2003, city and state officials opened up the parkway from the Triborough Bridge east to EXIT 4 (I-278 / Brooklyn-Queens Expressway) to trucks with three axels or less, and ten or fewer tires. These smaller trucks represent approximately 70 percent of the truck traffic that used the Astoria Boulevard truck detour. Low underpasses preclude the use of larger trucks along this westerly section of parkway. To improve safety, officials reduced the speed limit from 50 MPH to 40 MPH west of the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.