News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Why is this _____ (highway element) here?

Started by mightyace, July 09, 2009, 05:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyace

I thought of this as I remembered the "Lander's Lane" offramp on I-295 north in Delaware.

It is an exit-only ramp on I-295 North (compass East) only and dumps you off into a residential area.

As a kid, my parents used it to get to my grandparents' house that was in that neighborhood but, even then, it seemed strange.

Also, another one is Exit 199 on I-80 in Pennsylvania which exits to "Mile Run".  The road it exits to is only paved between the ramps of the diamond interchange and it is barely wider than a single lane.  I think once in my life I have seen someone exit or enter there!

So, what other exits, roads, etc. have you found that you wonder:

Why is this here?
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

yanksfan6129

Yeah, I remember passing exit 199 on I-80. My dad needed to fuel up the car, but I looked at the map and told him that it appeared that this exit was to a minor road in the middle of the sticks. Sure enough, a sign comes up before the interchange saying "No Services."

Alex

From what I learned when researching that ramp, posted on the Interstate 295 Delaware page:

Interstate 295 & U.S. 40 bisect post World War II subdivisions of Wilmington Manor, Minquadale, and Garfield Park among others. The path of the freeway severed the ties between the residential community and thus was not greeted with much fanfare locally. A compromise between the state and local residents was struck and the Landers Lane off-ramp from Interstate 295 & U.S. 40 eastbound is the result.

agentsteel53

so how do they get back on the freeway?  Just take the 9 entrance?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mightyace

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 09, 2009, 06:09:30 PM

That's what we usually did.  Or, sometimes the US 13-40 interchange.

Alex

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 09, 2009, 06:09:30 PM

Yes, its not far to the Delaware 9 cloverleaf interchange. The exit was not advertised outside the sign at the ramp itself, because its intended for locals only.

PAHighways

Quote from: mightyace on July 09, 2009, 05:39:55 PMAlso, another one is Exit 199 on I-80 in Pennsylvania which exits to "Mile Run".  The road it exits to is only paved between the ramps of the diamond interchange and it is barely wider than a single lane.  I think once in my life I have seen someone exit or enter there!

I've heard the reason that it exists is to provide a direct route for fire departments to battle forest fires that may ignite in that area.

Ian

Alright, on NY 17/Future I-86 which I just traveled last weekend (took photos but not uploaded yet), there are many exits in the middle of the dead nowhere mountians and have wondered why they are there. Also, at exit 98 off of NY 17, there is a random traffic signal intersection with enough room to have an interchange, or heck, even just a flasher beacon! I don't even know why the exit is even numbered.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

mightyace

Quote from: PAHighways on July 09, 2009, 11:21:24 PM
Quote from: mightyace on July 09, 2009, 05:39:55 PMAlso, another one is Exit 199 on I-80 in Pennsylvania which exits to "Mile Run".  The road it exits to is only paved between the ramps of the diamond interchange and it is barely wider than a single lane.  I think once in my life I have seen someone exit or enter there!

I've heard the reason that it exists is to provide a direct route for fire departments to battle forest fires that may ignite in that area.

I understand.  I always surmised that the exit was there because some key state legislator whose vote was needed to make I-80 happen had a hunting cabin near there!  :pan:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.