News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

NJDOT has released a report detailing the worst sections of state maintained roads within New Jersey. The winner? US 9! (Note: winning here is actually not a good distinction)

You can view the full report here: http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/publicat/lmreports/pdf/pavementreport2014.pdf
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

J Route Z

Crazy. I live near 9 in Monmouth County and what a nightmare it is. Thank god they are going to pave the sections they did not get to yet.

NJRoadfan

The ugly Clearview has spread east. All the ground mounted signs on NJ-18 northbound south of Exit 12 have been replaced with what looks like the same mess that is on I-295.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NJRoadfan on April 17, 2015, 03:13:06 PM
The ugly Clearview has spread east.

And South.

And I spotted one on Rt. 55 North for Exit 53 (Rt. 553).  Sigh.

NJRoadfan

At this point is it a rouge/clueless contractor, or does NJDOT actually intend to switch over? If that is the case, at least get the size and kerning right.

PHLBOS

Quote from: NJRoadfan on April 17, 2015, 03:18:32 PM
At this point is it a rouge/clueless contractor, or does NJDOT actually intend to switch over? If that is the case, at least get the size and kerning right.
If NJDOT's indeed planning on switching over; they are a bit too late.  IIRC, the Feds put the kibosh on expanding the interim-use of the Clearview font to other states that haven't already adopted such not too long ago.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 17, 2015, 03:39:31 PM
If NJDOT's indeed planning on switching over; they are a bit too late.  IIRC, the Feds put the kibosh on expanding the interim-use of the Clearview font to other states that haven't already adopted such not too long ago.

That ain't stopping them though.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 17, 2015, 03:49:20 PMThat ain't stopping them though.
The key word in my earlier post was If
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alps

I really can't fathom what's going on. The direction from NJDOT comes centrally - unlike many states, regions don't make design decisions - and there is no direction to use Clearview, I can vouch for that.

Zeffy

I didn't see that horrible 1-mile advance sign for US 206 on I-195 yesterday when I passed by. It's possible I could have missed it, but I don't think so, since that sign is always clearly visible to me. Perhaps someone at NJDOT got wind of it and ordered it taken down and remade with FHWA?

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

PHLBOS

Quote from: Zeffy on April 20, 2015, 09:55:44 AM
I didn't see that horrible 1-mile advance sign for US 206 on I-195 yesterday when I passed by. It's possible I could have missed it, but I don't think so, since that sign is always clearly visible to me. Perhaps someone at NJDOT got wind of it and ordered it taken down and remade with FHWA?
That BGS was there when I saw it two weekends ago.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Zeffy

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 20, 2015, 10:48:44 AM

It was also there the previous weekend. That's why I feel like it was removed. How do I suddenly not see a sign that I've seen every time I've been on the highway?

PHLBOS

Quote from: Zeffy on April 20, 2015, 11:45:31 AM

It was also there the previous weekend. That's why I feel like it was removed. How do I suddenly not see a sign that I've seen every time I've been on the highway?
Usually, when a sign is being replaced (aside from one being knocked over in an accident); the old one isn't taken down until the new one is erected (or ready to be erected).

Who knows; maybe by the end of the week, there will be a new sign.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

odditude

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 20, 2015, 12:53:50 PM

Usually, when a sign is being replaced (aside from one being knocked over in an accident); the old one isn't taken down until the new one is erected (or ready to be erected).

the overhead BGS at the exit itself was down for over a week when it was replaced, so it's not out of the question.

speaking of which, are they ever going to put the gantry at 52 NB back up?

storm2k

Quote from: odditude on April 20, 2015, 02:04:36 PM

the overhead BGS at the exit itself was down for over a week when it was replaced, so it's not out of the question.

I've gotten the feeling that NJDOT is content to leave ground mounted signage for several of the exits in that area. They've taken down a couple of gantries and not replaced them.

storm2k

Drove down US-22 from Bridgewater to the Union area the other day, which means I drove through several of the new traffic lights they've installed as part of the ITS/coordinated signals project they're doing throughout Somerset and western Union Counties. The fonts and shields for the overhead street signs (I'm not actually sure what the technical name for those is in NJ) do not look to be spaced out correctly at all. It looks like the contractor blew them up in odd proportions to make the lettering as large as possible on the sign. I guess it might be easier to see, but it looks terrible if you ask me:

I don't know how well you can see it on these pictures (I grabbed these with my iPhone quickly while I was stopped at the light), but the 22 shield is not well done. It's not even a 3di shield. Just a standard 2di that was horizontally stretched it looks like.

Zeffy

Interestingly enough, they aren't Clearview either - which Somerset (and I think Union as well) uses for their street signs. With Clearview getting the boot, perhaps they are reverting back to FHWA? I can only hope for Manville's sake...

Quote from: storm2k on April 25, 2015, 02:48:35 AM
I don't know how well you can see it on these pictures (I grabbed these with my iPhone quickly while I was stopped at the light), but the 22 shield is not well done. It's not even a 3di shield. Just a standard 2di that was horizontally stretched it looks like.

Why would it need to be a 3dus shield? It looks like it's using Series B numerals, which is wrong, but the shield itself looks (from my POV) to be the correct size.

storm2k

Quote from: Zeffy on April 25, 2015, 09:52:48 AM
Interestingly enough, they aren't Clearview either - which Somerset (and I think Union as well) uses for their street signs. With Clearview getting the boot, perhaps they are reverting back to FHWA? I can only hope for Manville's sake...

Quote from: storm2k on April 25, 2015, 02:48:35 AM

Why would it need to be a 3dus shield? It looks like it's using Series B numerals, which is wrong, but the shield itself looks (from my POV) to be the correct size.

It's definitely Highway Gothic, just the wrong proportions. Also, the shield is stretched out. Can't tell very well from that picture.

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on April 25, 2015, 02:38:40 AM

I've gotten the feeling that NJDOT is content to leave ground mounted signage for several of the exits in that area. They've taken down a couple of gantries and not replaced them.
For those of you who were around in the 70's and  80's, remember how long it took for NJDOT to replace the overhead sign on then westbound I-495 for the US 1 & 9 SB exit on the black viaduct leading down from the Bergen Hill.  The supports were there without the truss for many years before they replaced that in the mid to late 80's when all of NJ 495 got a complete sign overhall.

Then you cannot forget how long the original Wilson Avenue exit ramp (the one that was in the middle of the Express and Local lanes before the current viaduct was constructed) lacked its overheads.  That one there left Wilson Avenue unsigned for years until NJDOT rebuilt the SB roadway from Wilson Avenue to I-78 in the mid 90's which now has only a local exit from the right side instead of the middle.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: roadman65 on April 27, 2015, 04:36:03 PM
Quote from: storm2k on April 25, 2015, 02:38:40 AM

For those of you who were around in the 70's and  80's, remember how long it took for NJDOT to replace the overhead sign on then westbound I-495 for the US 1 & 9 SB exit on the black viaduct leading down from the Bergen Hill.  The supports were there without the truss for many years before they replaced that in the mid to late 80's when all of NJ 495 got a complete sign overhall.

Was that when this sign was covered up?

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

PHLBOS

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on April 27, 2015, 05:07:58 PMWas that when this sign was covered up?

Note: that one can still see portions of the 2di-sized shield for I-495 underneath the NJ 495 shield.  I'm surprised that the old shield wasn't removed first; most BGS items (including shields) were demountable back then.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Looks like it's new sign day.  Quick: Identify all the issues with this sign that should've been corrected before it even got on the truck:

Zeffy

What the fuck is up with NJDOT and screwing up signs lately? Everything BUT the shield numerals is in Arial/Helvetica!

Alex

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 27, 2015, 05:14:19 PM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on April 27, 2015, 05:07:58 PMWas that when this sign was covered up?

Note: that one can still see portions of the 2di-sized shield for I-495 underneath the NJ 495 shield.  I'm surprised that the old shield wasn't removed first; most BGS items (including shields) were demountable back then.

1998:

2000:

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on April 28, 2015, 02:12:57 PM
What the fuck is up with NJDOT and screwing up signs lately? Everything BUT the shield numerals is in Arial/Helvetica!

Notice it's WEST, not WEST.

Notice MILE is not center justified, but rather 3/4 top justified.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.