News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Emails to the webmasters

Started by Alex, May 13, 2009, 02:58:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

In any case, don't case numbers in federal court typically include the year and a division indicator?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

1995hoo

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 20, 2024, 10:06:48 AM
In any case, don't case numbers in federal court typically include the year and a division indicator?

Most federal district courts tend to use a form substantially like 1:24-cv-00123-XYZ. The "1" denotes the court division where the case is pending (not all federal courts have divisions)—the District of Idaho, for example, technically has three divisions (Boise, Coeur d'Alene, and Pocatello), and a case number beginning with "2:" tells you it's in Coeur d'Alene. "24" denotes the year, "cv" denotes a civil case ("cr" would denote criminal), "00123" is simply the sequential case number (so this fictional case number is the 123d civil case filed in that division that year), and "XYZ" represents the assigned judge's initials. Oftentimes the case number will be truncated to the form 24-123 or 24-cv-123 if the other information isn't needed at a particular time.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 20, 2024, 09:56:00 AM
they don't tell you whose IP division

This was the biggest red flag for me.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SectorZ

Given the last sentence of their missive, I would have just responded with "¿Qué?"

Scott5114

Did .bet even exist as a top-level domain in 2012?

The idea that the only way to resolve a supposed copyright infringement is to provide a link, rather than removing the so-called infringement, is ludicrous.

You might reach out to that Boston legal group to let them know that someone is impersonating their lady.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 20, 2024, 05:50:21 PM

I'm not sure that matters for this purpose, does it?  But the answer to your question is no:  the .bet TLD didn't launch until 2016.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on February 20, 2024, 06:40:46 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 20, 2024, 05:50:21 PM

I'm not sure that matters for this purpose, does it?  But the answer to your question is no:  the .bet TLD didn't launch until 2016.

Well, my original thinking was that if the photo was taken in 2012, it would be pretty silly to claim it infringed a website that couldn't have been launched until 4 years later. I guess it could have been at some other address before then, but the scammer doesn't make any mention of that, so there's no reason to extend the benefit of the doubt.

For what it's worth, the photo that the Imgur link goes to is of the Eldorado in Reno, which is owned by Caesars Entertainment. Given that Caesars owns about half of Las Vegas, they are not hurting so badly for a link from AARoads that they would sue to get one. And I would imagine that if you were being served a legitimate legal notice from Caesars, you'd damn sure know it was them.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alex

Been so busy and haven't been on the forum in several weeks, but wanted to extend thanks to everyone who responded and alleviated the concerns I had with that spam email last month. Your insight was greatly appreciated.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.