Signifying a stoplight is new and not yet in service

Started by Scott5114, June 16, 2010, 10:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

In Oklahoma, new stoplights that aren't in service yet often have this indicated by the signal heads being rotated as far left or right as they will go, so the lenses end up at a 45° angle to oncoming traffic. Sometimes they will be rotated vertically as well, so the signal points up into the sky.

Are we the only state that does this? Or do most states just use the standard tarp system?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Ian

Pennsylvania uses the tarp system, as does Maryland. New York State "bags" its signals. From what I remember seeing a few times in Virginia, they rotate their signals horizontally and face them downwards.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 16, 2010, 10:12:59 PM
In Oklahoma, new stoplights that aren't in service yet often have this indicated by the signal heads being rotated as far left or right as they will go, so the lenses end up at a 45° angle to oncoming traffic. Sometimes they will be rotated vertically as well, so the signal points up into the sky.

Are we the only state that does this? Or do most states just use the standard tarp system?

The 4 way flashing red (actually a 3 way) at Skelly Drive and Darlington is temporarily turned that way because I-44 is detoured onto Skelly Drive through this stretch.  I plan on getting a video of this construction zone when I get around to it.

corco

We just got a new stoplight in Laramie- what they did was put giant yellow bags over the lenses, then had it flash yellow for like a week, then switched it to the standard green-yellow-red

BigMattFromTexas

Here our new stoplights face towards the sky, I think they sometimes might have them facing down too, I'm not completely sure :hmmm: I'll have to see next time they put up a new signal....
BigMatt

corco

QuoteHere our new stoplights face towards the sky, I think they sometimes might have them facing down too, I'm not completely sure Hmm I'll have to see next time they put up a new signal....

Here's some in Rockwall, Texas on SH 205 just north of downtown where they're facing down from when I was down there in late February- I'd never seen stoplights shifted for new construction before and was quite shocked

Alex

Most states just put them in body bags (well that's what I have always called them):

PAHighways

I've seen wire-span signals turned to face the sides of the road or turned down, mast arm signals turned up or down, but usually newbies are bagged in PA.

roadfro

New signals in Nevada are usually bagged. Some installations I've seen use black bags specifically designed for shielding signal heads, with the message "Not In" "Service" printed vertically in white letters.

Sometimes, they'll bag the signal heads on the mast arms while turning pole-mounted signal heads (if they can be turned completely away from any traffic). I've even seen some installations (typically in construction zones involving a closed lane and pre-existing signal) where pieces of cardboard are simply strapped on over the signal visors.

The MUTCD simply states that signal faces not in service shall be either covered, turned, or taken down. In states where the signal head is mounted directly to the mast arm or a span wire, it's probably just easier to cover the heads--when signal heads are mounted to a separate brace (such as the above two pictures), turning the head is easier to do.  It seems to me that bagging would be a lot less work in the long run...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

mgk920

They are either turned aside or covered up here in Wisconsin, too.

Also, railroad operating rules state that railroad signals that are not in use are to be covered up or turned aside.  Otherwise, dark signals not so treated are to be interpreted as showing their most restrictive aspect.  Similar rules apply for highway traffic signals - in the USA, 'dark' signals not covered or turned aside are to be interpreted the same as 'STOP' signs.

Note, this rule varies by country - for example, in Germany, every traffic signal has a sign on its mast, either 'STOP', 'YIELD' or 'you have priority' (the latter, a yellow square with a white outline mounted 'diamond' style, does not exist in the USA) and the signs govern when the signals are dark.  German traffic signals are frequently turned off at night to save power when traffic is light and flashing red and flashing yellow aspects do not exist in the country.

Mike

agentsteel53

Quote from: mgk920 on June 17, 2010, 02:09:28 AM
in the USA, 'dark' signals not covered or turned aside are to be interpreted the same as 'STOP' signs.

the only problem with this is - how can you tell efficiently if a light is covered, from a distance?  especially at night, when you cannot tell a broken signal from a covered one - they're both dark!  Do you come to a screeching halt, or do you blow through as though the light does not exist?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

In Illinois, they are "body bagged".  Even unused signals in a tower (the arrows) can be bagged while the rest of the signal is used.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

rawmustard

Here I think the contractors merely use whatever's most convenient. For example, when the M-66 signals were replaced in downtown Battle Creek a couple years ago, the new heads were bagged.

But when signals were replaced in downtown Marshall, they were merely tied to the spanwire (probably done to avoid blocking the existing signalheads at that time).

(Of course, it could also be the case that they could be tied to the wire when first hung, then bagged should they be let down before being put into operation.)

hm insulators

In California and Arizona, new but not-in-service-yet signals have what looks like cardboard packing material over the lenses. In addition, Arizona puts up yellow diamond signs reading "TRAFFIC CONTROL CHANGE" and then the scheduled date of the upcoming change. These signs stay up for a few months after the change. I like those signs; I wish all states used them.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

xcellntbuy

As new VERY large mast arm-type signals are being erected in Broward County, Florida, with the new signals oriented horizontally (like Miami-Dade County), the signals are pointed 90-degrees, aimed toward the pavement.

deathtopumpkins

In Virginia, I've never seen a signal turned when not in service. From what I've seen around Hampton Roads, they're always either instantly activated (when replacing another) or bagged. I drive under a set of bagged ones on US 17 southbound coming off the James River Bridge quite frequently. For several months now there have been two arms with bagged signals for each lane, neither above an intersection, the second of which has a white "emergency signal" sign.

Photo taken April 3. Signals still bagged as of June 16.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

golden eagle

agentsteel53

dark signals not so treated are to be interpreted as showing their most restrictive aspect.

"flashing red, do not proceed"?  i.e. you are not allowed to cross the railroad until the maintenance crew shows up next week?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Bryant5493

In Georgia, the lenses are usually covered with black tarp or something of the like. Sometimes, they've been turned at a different angle.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Duke87

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 21, 2010, 02:54:02 PM
dark signals not so treated are to be interpreted as showing their most restrictive aspect.

"flashing red, do not proceed"?  i.e. you are not allowed to cross the railroad until the maintenance crew shows up next week?

He's talking about signals for the operation of trains, not grade crossing signals for cars.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

joseph1723

I've seen them either cover up the signal with tarps or turn them so that they face the ground here in Ontario. Most of the signals here are mounted on mast arms so I would assume it's pretty easy for them to turn the signal to face the ground.

Ian

There have been some cases near me where I have seen a newly signalized intersection have its signals on flash mode before they are fully put into service.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

roadfro

I've also seen some instances where the construction crews will rotate the entire mast arm and support pole 90° from normal. This seems to be a method of getting the signal heads mounted and wiring ready within the mast arms when there's no empty land adjacent to the intersection in which to work. By rotating the pole, it allows crews to install signal heads on the far end of the mast arm without closing multiple lanes of traffic--it also clearly indicates that those signals aren't in service.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

cu2010

On NY56 north of Potsdam, NY, where they just built a new Lowe's store, they installed a new set of signals in anticipation of the store opening, and bagged them...but when the store got delayed, they took the whole installation down!

Then, before the store actually opened, they put another set of signals up there, and bagged them...and a set of temporary signals was installed just after the store opened! The permanent signals work now...but I still find it funny that NYSDOT wasted time (and likely tons of taxpayer dollars) to put up a signal installation only to take it down later and put it back up (and install a temporary installation no less!)

...then again, that's NY for you. Wasting taxpayer dollars since the beginning of time.  :pan:
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

US71

Louisiana bags them.

Missouri does too (sometimes)

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.