News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US route shield shapes

Started by hbelkins, December 05, 2011, 07:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Can't find an appropriate topic to discuss the subtleties of US route shield shapes, so ergo, this thread.

Spotted this shield yesterday on the new section of US 25E in Tennessee. Have never seen anything quite like it.

Tennessee has always had several styles of shield shapes, especially wide ones for three-digit routes.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

xonhulu

It's hard to tell if the shape of the US shield is odd all by itself, or if it's just the wider black border.

Ian

One must not forget PennDOT's infamous "acorn" shield:

New Hampshire seems to have (has had) their own style of US route shield, which I actually like. These have managed to pop up onto newer signs like this one:

In a way, they look similar to Arizona's old US shield design:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

hbelkins

Quote from: xonhulu on December 05, 2011, 07:45:51 PM
It's hard to tell if the shape of the US shield is odd all by itself, or if it's just the wider black border.

I really think that's it.

xonhulu

We need a side-by-side comparison.  I'll use a couple of my favorite 3-digit US shield shots:

Quote from: hbelkins on December 05, 2011, 07:36:48 PM

It looks like the shield itself is about the same shape as the other examples, it just takes up less of the overall sign allowing for the wider border.  The numbers actually look like they're the same height as the other examples, too, but they look oversized due to the shield being smaller.

Still, the overall effect looks weird.  

agentsteel53

the 130 and the 191 are both stretched 2dus '70 spec.  this is a correct 3dus '70 spec.

photo taken 1965.  I had forgotten we had this photo.  I knew PA had invented the shield shape that was to become the 1970 federal standard, but I thought they had done so in 1966.

speaking of wide shields, this has always been my favorite style.  1956, California.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Lake Village, AR

Roswell, NM

DeRidder, LA

Pensacola, FL
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ctsignguy

Let's see....some of the odder US shield shapes in my collection....

From Alabama...their square US shields always had a funky look about them...this one up-holds the tradition in a slightly different way

From San Fransisco...this was intended for BGS use, but found its way to a pole...

Connecticut's 21x21 wood cutouts also were a bit unique in their look....hell, i like 'em!

Delaware's were a bit unusual as well

As was Flordia's Kodachromes

Two classics from Massachusetts

Maryland's semi-acorn

NH

New York's slight'y-wide shape

This pair from Pennsy

And Rhody

and for now, either as square or cutout, EVERYONE's favorite US shield style....
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Alex

Kentucky specific ugly shields

Justin Cozart photo from 2008.

hbelkins

Kentucky has as many different 24x24 square US shield shapes as Tennessee does 24x30 wide US shield shapes.

Brian556

These were posted by a contractor that built the SH 114 Roanoke bypass in 1999. They look similar to the US 25E sign, but alot better. I actually like these better than the TxDot standard US Hwy shield

Quillz

I like that wide Pennsylvania cutout. I was able to make something really close to it in Illustrator by taking the '61 BGS template and then making some adjustments to it (and then making it a cutout, of course.)

<----- My Avatar is a non-standard 28×24 '70 wide spec shield. I've found that compressing wide shields tends to look a lot better than stretching standard shields, especially since the bottom looks straight even when you compress it. I think it looks pretty decent, but it doesn't work in reality because even three-digit Series C numerals are way too huge.

hbelkins

That avatar puts me in mind of this wide-format US 68 sign. Also check out the KY 80 sign:

Quillz

That doesn't look bad, actually. The surrounding black space makes the shield and numerals look well proportioned and balanced. Oftentimes, I'll see the standard '70 shields look very cramped with Series D numerals. I almost think Series C works better given the size.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.