News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Sears-Kmart Death Watch

Started by Brandon, January 12, 2018, 03:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much longer do you think Sears and Kmart Have?

6 Months
20 (19%)
9 Months
11 (10.5%)
One Year
28 (26.7%)
Two Years
23 (21.9%)
Five Years
13 (12.4%)
Ten Years
1 (1%)
They'll be around forever!
9 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Mr. Matté

Life in Paradise

Quote from: Mr. Matté on August 02, 2023, 09:34:37 PM
And then there were two (come fall): https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/bergen/westwood/2023/08/02/kmart-in-westwood-to-close-last-one-in-new-jersey/70517276007/
The question has been for the past few years: why haven't they just gone ahead and closed them all?  Can you really have a "chain" with just a handful of stores (or in this case, two)?  They could just go online and have a presence there like the Circuit City name (someone bought).  Heck, Radio Shack has several hundred stores open; probably helped that there were franchises rather than company owned stores.

kkt

I speculate that it might have to do with the property arrangements on the stores.  Leased stores with a draconian early exit clause?  Or they own the property but don't have the staff to undertake a whole bunch of sales at once?  Or they want to time the property sales market?

thenetwork

If Johnny Carson was still around on the Tonight show, he would be all over this news, especially, since it it plans on happening in "Beautiful Downtown Burbank"...

https://www.costar.com/article/1434809717/sears-moves-closer-to-rare-store-relaunch-in-los-angeles-county?mibextid=Zxz2cZ&fbclid=IwAR09l27acLPjwe1RU00dldaLJ9DU9KxrS1_9bRy0GYMvC0907ECdn7cGCC8

kkt

Quote from: thenetwork on October 21, 2023, 02:19:29 PM
If Johnny Carson was still around on the Tonight show, he would be all over this news, especially, since it it plans on happening in "Beautiful Downtown Burbank"...

https://www.costar.com/article/1434809717/sears-moves-closer-to-rare-store-relaunch-in-los-angeles-county?mibextid=Zxz2cZ&fbclid=IwAR09l27acLPjwe1RU00dldaLJ9DU9KxrS1_9bRy0GYMvC0907ECdn7cGCC8

Wow, I would not have expected that.  Is there some way that this store is not bankrupt?  Otherwise, who would do business with them?

brad2971

Speaking of recently closed Kmarts: https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-news/minneapolis-to-speed-up-demolition-of-lake-street-kmart-after-fire

You would think city planners, having been embarrassed into agreeing that closing Nicolett Av. in the late 1970s for something as ephemeral as a Kmart in Target's HQ city was a bad idea, would try to avoid any sort of plans beyond simply reopening Nicolett Av. But apparently not: https://www2.minneapolismn.gov/government/programs-initiatives/new-nicollet/

Flint1979

Work has started on demolishing Kmart's former HQ building in Troy, Michigan.

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.facebook.com/SearsJerseyCity1044

Sears in Jersey City, NJ at Newport Centre closing sometime in March/April 2024...

No more Sears in New Jersey and the NYC region!

SectorZ

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on January 05, 2024, 10:15:41 PM

Sears in Jersey City, NJ at Newport Centre closing sometime in March/April 2024...

The copium in that Facebook post, "Why, it's an iconic store, it makes no sense to close it, it's in a good location".

Brandon

Quote from: SectorZ on January 06, 2024, 09:17:08 AM

The copium in that Facebook post, "Why, it's an iconic store, it makes no sense to close it, it's in a good location".

Yep.  What they fail to realize is that this is the world's longest liquidation sale.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

thenetwork

Quote from: Brandon on January 06, 2024, 09:37:05 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on January 06, 2024, 09:17:08 AM

Yep.  What they fail to realize is that this is the world's longest liquidation sale.

In my area, we have a western goods store that has prominently advertised a "Going Out Of Business Sale" for no less than 10 years now with a big sign in their parking lot.

Out of curiosity, I went in just to see what kind of "deals" there were about 5 years ago.

The place was stocked to the gills with cowboy hats, clothing, boots and belts.   What looked like simple leather belts were priced at $200 plus -- before the alleged 60-80% GOOB discount "reductions".

It's no wonder why there is nobody in their parking lot, everyone knows the guy is a rip-off artist.  I'm just surprised that he is allowed to continue this sham for so long under the Going Out Of Business auspices.

Big John

^^ No Oriental rugs?  I have seen those sold only via going out of business sales.

Scott5114

Quote from: thenetwork on January 06, 2024, 12:46:28 PM
I'm just surprised that he is allowed to continue this sham for so long under the Going Out Of Business auspices.

How exactly would someone stop him?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 06, 2024, 07:24:53 PM
I'm just surprised that he is allowed to continue this sham for so long under the Going Out Of Business auspices.

False advertising laws.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on January 06, 2024, 07:26:58 PM

False advertising laws.

...allow someone to sue the guy in civil court. To do so you have to allege damages. Who is damaged if someone says they are going out of business and then does not?

Bruce

Two Sears stores in Burbank, CA and Union Gap, WA (near Yakima) actually reopened: https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/business/article283090363.html

kalvado

Quote from: Bruce on January 06, 2024, 08:03:08 PM
Two Sears stores in Burbank, CA and Union Gap, WA (near Yakima) actually reopened: https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/business/article283090363.html
Zombie apocalypse is beginning.....

Big John

I think on one state (Illinois?) you have to obtain a going out of business permit and permanently close by the date shown on the permit. And any ad they show for that sale must include the permit number.

GCrites

A seasonal leather goods store in a mall near me has been GOOB for probably 6 years now. I suppose it's true since they are OOB during the warmer months.

Scott5114

Quote from: Big John on January 06, 2024, 08:18:24 PM

I think on one state (Illinois?) you have to obtain a going out of business permit and permanently close by the date shown on the permit. And any ad they show for that sale must include the permit number.

That seems like it would preclude any sort of last-minute reversal of fortunes that result in the store staying open, though. Maybe if you said that a business could only have a going-out-of-business sale last for X many days, once every X years...

Really, though, although an endless going-out-of-business sale is very stupid, the reason for the sale is (or should be) immaterial to the purchasing decision. A sale price could be due to a going-out-of-business sale, or I-used-a-whole-jug-of-milk sale, or a I-farted-loudly-and-it-scared-my-cat sale. If you like the price on offer, great, buy it; if you don't like the price, don't.

kalvado

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 06, 2024, 09:38:18 PM

That seems like it would preclude any sort of last-minute reversal of fortunes that result in the store staying open, though. Maybe if you said that a business could only have a going-out-of-business sale last for X many days, once every X years...

Really, though, although an endless going-out-of-business sale is very stupid, the reason for the sale is (or should be) immaterial to the purchasing decision. A sale price could be due to a going-out-of-business sale, or I-used-a-whole-jug-of-milk sale, or a I-farted-loudly-and-it-scared-my-cat sale. If you like the price on offer, great, buy it; if you don't like the price, don't.

In ideal word yes. But I don't know the market for leather belts. I need one at reasonable price, but what is the reasonable one? I can assume store knows better,  but I didn't look at anything yet. Now it's a 80% off deal.....
You may go down to economy basics and say whatever I am willing to pay... But since price negotiation is a theory these days and occur mostly as statistics - I don't have good price negotiation skills, especially for infrequent buys. One can call such "99%off" predatory

mgk920

Quote from: 1 on January 06, 2024, 07:26:58 PM

False advertising laws.

My hometown City of Appleton, WI has an ordinance that requires a city issued  'Close Out Sale' license that is specifically approved by a vote of the the city council.

Mike

Scott5114

Quote from: kalvado on January 06, 2024, 09:58:08 PM

In ideal word yes. But I don't know the market for leather belts. I need one at reasonable price, but what is the reasonable one? I can assume store knows better,  but I didn't look at anything yet. Now it's a 80% off deal.....
You may go down to economy basics and say whatever I am willing to pay... But since price negotiation is a theory these days and occur mostly as statistics - I don't have good price negotiation skills, especially for infrequent buys. One can call such "99%off" predatory

How is that any different than any other kind of markdown sale, though? One could well have the same questions at a Black Friday sale.

kalvado

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 08, 2024, 02:01:13 AM
Quote from: kalvado on January 06, 2024, 09:58:08 PM

How is that any different than any other kind of markdown sale, though? One could well have the same questions at a Black Friday sale.
And it is the question being asked. And people did find $8.99 price sticker below  BLACK FRIDAY! 9.99 ONLY!

I am not going to get into the ethics of retail sales. I'm afraid it's the game where it is hard to win as both a buyer who would end up ripped off anyway or seller who has to go into dirty tricks to get their margins. Maybe there are some expert buyers who can navigate and enjoy all this, I am definitely not one of them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.