Just thought some of you might enjoy this....

Started by 1995hoo, August 05, 2014, 11:58:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

I have some posts from last week in the "Best of Road Signs" thread about the cutouts on US Route 1 in Alexandria, Virginia. When I downloaded video from my dashcam I found it had captured me taking pictures of the signs and, two days later, looking at them for stickers indicating when they were posted. Had there been more passers-by I'm sure people would have wondered what I was doing. Since I'm sure some people here can relate to that, here it is for your amusement.

If you get silence in the early part it's because I had YouTube remove some audio due to a copyright notification I received.

Nothing terribly exciting, just thought someone might find it amusing.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

froggie

1995hoo

Quote from: froggie on August 05, 2014, 12:16:41 PM
"This video is private."

Hmm. I uploaded it that way, but it said I could simply share the link and other people could view it. Thanks for letting me know. I'll fiddle with it to try to solve the issue.

Edited: OK, I used the Video Manager and changed it to "Unlisted" instead of "Private." Hopefully it works now, but I'll try signing out of YouTube and doing a hard refresh to verify. My video software doesn't give me the option of uploading as "Unlisted." I suppose it's good to have learned of this issue for future reference.

Edited again: Seems to work now after I did a hard refresh (Ctrl-F5) of this thread after logging out of YouTube. If you still have trouble with it, I may just delete the whole thing!

Zeffy

Works for me. Interesting. I've heard stories of a group of thugs getting rather angry of two members of this forum for taking a picture of an I-95 state name shield in Wilmington DE, and I seriously hope that's not the case for every bad area something nice may be located in.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

1995hoo

Quote from: Zeffy on August 05, 2014, 01:13:37 PM
Works for me. Interesting. I've heard stories of a group of thugs getting rather angry of two members of this forum for taking a picture of an I-95 state name shield in Wilmington DE, and I seriously hope that's not the case for every bad area something nice may be located in.

Old Town Alexandria is a pretty good area. The cutout on the right side of the road is one block north of King Street, which is the main retail/restaurant strip in that area. My comment about how people would look at you funny is based on the idea that so many people don't even know how to parallel park in the first place, let alone whether they'd even begin to consider doing so to take a picture of a road sign.

signalman

Thanks for sharing.  It's nice to see a video of a roadgeek doing what we do when we find a sign worth photographing.  I know to most people it looks odd, but it's a harmless hobby.  At least you didn't get questioned by anyone photographing or checking for an installation date this time.  As time progresses, I care less about what others think of my actions.

On a side note, don't worry about begining to bald.  I had a bald spot bigger than that by the time I was 25.  By the time I was 32 I was mostly bald on top and began shaving my entire head completely bald.  While the look itsn't for everyone, I like it.  Also, most think I look better that way.  The only thing that I find frustrating is that my dad is almost 70 and has more hair than me.

Alex

Thanks for sharing that 1995hoo.

Having done this many times over the years, I have been honked at while photographing the south end of MS 67, yelled at stupidly as I shot this while my wife was getting gas nearby, had a thug trying to get my attention while documenting this gem, etc. Even had a cop politely ask what I was photographing when I shot this image of an I-240 NC shield in Asheville.

Nowadays I try to have a safety vest with me if I plan on stepping outside to shoot a sign. It conveys legitimacy and I have yet to be bothered by a passer-by since wearing one.

Zeffy

Quote from: Alex on August 09, 2014, 09:29:38 AM
Nowadays I try to have a safety vest with me if I plan on stepping outside to shoot a sign. It conveys legitimacy and I have yet to be bothered by a passer-by since wearing one.

Err, by safety vest, do you mean the ones that construction workers usually wear (bright orange / fluorescent yellow-green), or a bulletproof vest (for the trips into the rough areas)?  :D
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

Apparently some people just like yelling out the window.  Whenever my wife and I take a walk on a regular roadway, it's nearly guaranteed that at least once along the walk someone (usually a guy) will honk and/or yell out the window while driving by.  It's extremely rare that we understand what they are trying to say.  While it does sometimes make us jump for a quick second, it's usually laughable as we try to figure out what they were yelling!

hbelkins

I've been yelled at, honked at, whistled at and the like a few times myself. It's probably not uncommon.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.