News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Traffic #%&@

Started by Alex, January 23, 2009, 11:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Revising a concept I came up with on a LJ post years ago, post a photo of a traffic jam, heavy traffic, or congestion that you saw, went through, or deal with on a regular basis. These are the times where roadding stinks...

The 405 south at the 10, always congested.

Voyager

Hmm, I had some of 80 in Sacramento, wish I hadn't deleted them.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

mapman

I'll take your Southern California pic and raise you a Northern California one -- US 101 southbound just south of San Francisco International Airport.

Chris

The Netherlands is known for it's extreme traffic congestion. In fact, I think we rank near the top of the developed world when it comes to congestion. We live in a small country of 16.4 million people and nearly all freeways have only 4 lanes, or wider freeways have bottlenecks of 4 lanes. The highest AADT is 250,000 on the A16 freeway near Rotterdam.

I recently came stuck in this traffic jam on the A28 freeway near the city of Amersfoort. This wasn't even during rushhour, but around 11 am. The 4 mile stretch took me 30 minutes.

Freeway speeding :D

VMS displaying driving times for two routes to the city of Utrecht. During rushhour, the next 12 miles can take as long as 1 hour.

These "50" signs flash and warn you for an upcoming traffic jam (usually within the next half a mile)

Inching forward

Note the crazy amount of trucks. This freeway carries 110,000 vehicles per day and has only 4 lanes in total.

Shadow Assassin

QuoteThis freeway carries 110,000 vehicles per day and has only 4 lanes in total.

How does 44,000+ vpd sound on a two lane road of dubious condition?

No pics at the moment, unfortunately...

ComputerGuy

Ugh...that's a mess...

In WA, traffic is mostly in the Downtown Seattle-Bellevue area. Especially the 520 bridge...

For WA traffic, see: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic

Alex

Interstate 395 in Washington, D.C. in August 2005.

vdeane

This picture really focuses on the sign, but you can see all the traffic on ON 400 as it meets ON 401 at rush hour.  On a highway that is six lanes each direction, its bumper-to-bumper traffic moving very slowly.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Voyager

Wow, I had no idea Washington D.C. had so many traffic problems.

vdeane

Yeah, DC is bad.  I remember when I was on a school trip there a few years ago.  We got to I-495 around 8:00 AM.  We ate breakfast at the Ronald Reagan building (the first time we got off the bus since a rest stop in Maryland) at 10:00 AM.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alex

Typical back-up at the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge

Voyager

Which won't improve once the new bridge is finished.  :rolleyes:

Alex

The big bridge near the other end of Interstate 80 (GWB) is no better!

FLRoads

Major traffic backup on I-75 in the Valdosta, Georgia area, taken March, 2003.

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Alex

I see your NJ Turnpike and raise you a Garden State Parkway!

Ian

And now you know why I NEVER travel that highway  :-D
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Chris

Driscoll Bridge on the GSP is one of the widest freeways in the U.S. though. Over 20 lanes cross the river, 15 on the GSP, 6 lanes on the immediatly adjacent Edison Bridge and next is the 4 lane Victory Bridge. A total of 25 lanes within like a mile!

Chris

Hamburg traffic on A1 Autobahn: 2 lanes of stopped trucks:

More trucks than cars:

agentsteel53

that's crazy.  what if someone wants to exit the autobahn?  how do they get through the wall of trucks?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Chris

Uhm... they don't  :)

I've never seen anything like that before. There were roadworks, so it goes from 3 to 2 lanes. Automobile traffic flowed gently with 40 mph, but those trucks were totally stopped...

Alex

Wow, truckulas, truckulas, truckulas, that's a total nightmare!

My next entry, from just after sunset on the Capital Beltway in Maryland, 2005.

ComputerGuy

Ooh...does anyone have pics of traffic before and after the Obama inaguration?

deathtopumpkins

Dang... remind me to never drive on the Autobahn in heavy truck traffic. That looks like a nightmare.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Alex

Quote from: froggie on January 26, 2009, 06:22:53 PM
QuoteInterstate 395 in Washington, D.C. in August 2005.

Tame compared to what it normally's like in the late afternoon/evening.

QuoteMy next entry, from just after sunset on the Capital Beltway in Maryland, 2005.

And, BTW, it looks absolutely nothing like that nowadays...

That's tame? We were not moving.  :-/

Took the new WWB last month, even took a video across the local lanes. Nice improvement.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.