News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Traffic #%&@

Started by Alex, January 23, 2009, 11:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austrini

Standard 5:10pm weekday Dallas traffic.
Nothing as cool as Moscow, I'm afraid.

IH 635 eastbound at Tollway

Tollway southbound. Its solidly backed up for about 20 miles in each direction from 4:45pm to 6:45pm
AICP (2012), GISP (2020) | Formerly TX, now UK

agentsteel53

Quote from: AARoads on February 13, 2009, 07:22:47 PM

Well it sounds like they are effective in Europe. VMS here generally display nothing, which is why I like to refer to them as WOM (wastes of moment). Some areas however do a good job; Texas for instance effectively uses travel times and the like to advise of congestion. Other areas do not inform motorists of congestion until they are already in the thick of it, which through my travels happens far to often.

for all else that's broken about LA's freeway system, the VMS with times to various destinations is quite good. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: njroadhorse on June 03, 2009, 08:07:26 PM
Just found this jam up shot on Route 99 in Massachusetts.  Oh the tale of two directions...
Bet ya anything the Artery was closed southbound.

Chris

I was hauling through Germany yesterday, and I drove north on the A7 between Würzburg and Kassel, and suddenly there were trucks all over the Autobahn, braking hard, and I had to wait for 20 minutes before traffic began moving again.

This accident happened just half a mile ahead of me. There was another car in the left barrier with similar damage. Quite weird.

Chris

Nope, no ranting today!  :clap:

74/171FAN

I-95 South in Fairfax County, VA looking from I-95 North(between US 1(Exit 161) and SR 642(Exit 163).  VDOT is currently adding a fourth regular lane in both directions here though between VA 123(Exit 160) and SR 7100(Exit 166) 
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

The official bottleneck of Hanover County.  I-95 NB going down to 3 lanes(6 in both directions) north of SR 656/Sliding Hill Rd 
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

rickmastfan67

Here's a blast from the past.

Took this in May '05 in Charlotte on I-77 after leaving the Food Lion Speed Street.  At this moment, I-77 is 4 lanes (3 + 1HOV; and yes I was with the family so I wasn't breaking the HOV Law) and just past the future I-485 (at that time since it wasn't open yet) exit, it went from 4 to 2 LANES!!  That was a massive backup there.  Since then, they've extended one of the lanes farther up to the next exit (#23; Gilead Rd), but you still have to deal with the new traffic from I-485.

BigMattFromTexas

City of Del Rio International Bridge, i was on there for an hour :banghead:

74/171FAN

More I-95 NB congestion from last Sunday 

74/171FAN

Even more I-95 NB congestion back south of SR 802(Lewistown Rd) 

NJRoadfan

I must get REALLY lucky not to hit that mess going to/from NC. The reality is I-95 in VA needs 8 lanes from I-295 to Fredericksburg and then 10-12 lanes from there to the beltway (3-2-2-3 or 3-3-3-3). None of that half-assed reversible HOV/HOT crap. I suppose I'm lucky I live in a state where I-95 is a toll road and was readily expanded and has decent alternates.

74/171FAN

Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 13, 2009, 12:01:50 AM
I must get REALLY lucky not to hit that mess going to/from NC. The reality is I-95 in VA needs 8 lanes from I-295 to Fredericksburg and then 10-12 lanes from there to the beltway (3-2-2-3 or 3-3-3-3). None of that half-assed reversible HOV/HOT crap. I suppose I'm lucky I live in a state where I-95 is a toll road and was readily expanded and has decent alternates.
Normally its not that bad south of Fredericksburg except for the fact that it was a holiday weekend and probably the same for most weekends in general.  VDOT doesn't have money though to widen I-95 here though currently :-/  Anyway some US 501 NB congestion just outside of Aynor, SC NW of Conway 

Alex

Went through one major jam yesterday where we went just one mile in 33 minutes and thought of this old thread.

Was fortunate enough to be going the other direction two weeks ago when a southbound accident on I-75 snarled traffic for nearly the entire stretch between Exits 341 and 350:

On the flipside, we just passed the point of no return on the I-95 viaduct leading north from the Girard Point Bridge to Exit 19 in Philadelphia when we came to a halt. Several emergency vehicles pushed through to respond to an accident involving a pick up truck as we moved just one mile in a half hour or so.

vdeane

These pictures remind me of this backup that caught me in 2011:

Photo was taken after sitting in the backup for over an hour (it started near I-287 exit 2 when I entered it).  It took another hour for me to leave it.  All that over a minor fender bender.  Not exaggerating.

I've seen similar issues on the Northway a couple times.  I don't know what it is, but the SB stretch between exits 4 and 2 is a death trap.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

freebrickproductions

I saw this massive traffic back-up in downtown Sheffield, AL on 6-17-14 because an intermodal train stopped on both of the crossings in the downtown:

Massive Traffic Back-up by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Roadrunner75

A long time ago I was roaring down a narrow two-lane county route somewhere in Hunterdon Co., NJ and I came up behind a long line of somewhat slow moving cars - very unusual (and frustrating) for the area.  I hit a straight stretch with a long hill down and proceeded to pop out into the opposing lane and pass probably about 10 cars in a row (in a '79 Pinto wagon pushed to its limits) before squeezing my way back in, jumping back out to pass and forcing my way back in 1 or 2 more times, before I finally ended up behind the hearse.

Thing 342

Got stuck in a massive backup on I-264 E near Mt. Trashmore while headed towards Virginia Beach a few weeks ago. It took me nearly 45 minutes to travel what was about three-quarters of a mile. The cause was a collision between a police cruiser and a motorcycle that pretty much vaporized the cycle and closed three out of four lanes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.