News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Then and Now

Started by Alex, January 23, 2009, 11:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

I like the use of the Maine custom font on the exit numbers.

here is a sign in Tennessee that is slowly peeling to oblivion.  It is a 1948 specification sign that was originally a white square that had the black background added on sometime after 1961 to update it to the newer specs.

1993 (HB Elkins):

2007 (HB Elkins):

2010 (me):
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hm insulators

That sign's definitely seen better days! :D
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

MDOTFanFB

Unsigned BS I-375 in downtown Detroit. First photo by Howard Goldman, 2003.

What it looks 7 years later, taken by me.

I-75 northbound entering Michigan. First photo by AARoads, 2005.

6 years later...

Roadsign199qc

I don't have photos, but I have seen a brand new Québec 199 sud, and, 1 year later, the half of the Sud was gone!

EDIT: I will try to have photos.
Hi!

US71

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 08, 2010, 05:35:54 PM

2007 (HB Elkins):

That's so faded, it almost looks like white numbers on black. Someone needs to rescue that poor thing  :-(
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

agentsteel53

Quote from: US71 on May 22, 2011, 06:24:36 PM

That's so faded, it almost looks like white numbers on black. Someone needs to rescue that poor thing  :-(

it is one of four known state-named shields in Tennessee (not counting the ubiquitous post-1982 state route markers).  No known state-named interstates (please! won't somebody find one for us!) and that US-25E, a pair of US-78s in Memphis...

the remarkable thing about that 78 pair is that they sit on current, mainline US-78 - not an obscure side street or anything.  the only reason no one has gone and stolen them yet is that they are difficult to remove (you'd have to set your stepladder into the middle of traffic) and too badly worn to be all that valuable.

and there is another 25E which is clearly of recent, local manufacture, but it they must've decided to carbon-copy an older sign, because it says "Tennessee US 25E", just like back in the day.  the shield shape is wrong, the fonts are wrong; I do not yet have it uploaded to the shield gallery but apart from it being a rude facsimile of a classic sign, it really isn't much to write home about.  let's just say I found out that it existed about 6 months ago, and I have not yet knocked over heaven and earth to log into Orbitz and book a plane ticket to photograph it.

I also know of two of the old triangle route markers with the TENN... a 68 and a 99.  So that makes six old-style markers in existence in TN.  

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 22, 2011, 06:56:53 PMlet's just say I found out that it existed about 6 months ago, and I have not yet knocked over heaven and earth to log into Orbitz and book a plane ticket to photograph it.

here is a sign gantry for which I did, upon learning of their existence, book a flight the very next weekend to get my own photos.

I'm not going to say where the shields are.  In fact, I will attempt to throw everyone off course by insisting that they reside in a state whose name begins with the letter "E".

jake@aaroads.com

ctsignguy

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 22, 2011, 07:11:18 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 22, 2011, 06:56:53 PMlet's just say I found out that it existed about 6 months ago, and I have not yet knocked over heaven and earth to log into Orbitz and book a plane ticket to photograph it.

here is a sign gantry for which I did, upon learning of their existence, book a flight the very next weekend to get my own photos.

I'm not going to say where the shields are.  In fact, I will attempt to throw everyone off course by insisting that they reside in a state whose name begins with the letter "E".

And their mascot is a cute cuddly kitten, right?
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

agentsteel53

Quote from: ctsignguy on May 22, 2011, 09:29:34 PM
And their mascot is a cute cuddly kitten, right?

if by kitten you mean "goat"... then, yes.

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 22, 2011, 06:56:53 PM
it is one of four known state-named shields in Tennessee (not counting the ubiquitous post-1982 state route markers).  No known state-named interstates (please! won't somebody find one for us!) and that US-25E, a pair of US-78s in Memphis...

On a trip to Gatlinburg, Tenn. many years ago with my wife, I saw two state-named I-40 shields southbound on Winfield Dunn Parkway approaching the interstate at Exit 407. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera at the ready and had already gotten on I-40 before what I saw had registered. I always said I would remember to get a photo the next time we went back, as we were regular vacationers there, but alas we haven't been back since and it's been 11 years. With the amount of development north of the exit since then, and what appears to be a minor widening of the road a bit north to accommodate the Bass Pro Shops and baseball stadium, I'd say those signs are long-gone.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on May 24, 2011, 11:07:50 PM
On a trip to Gatlinburg, Tenn. many years ago with my wife, I saw two state-named I-40 shields southbound on Winfield Dunn Parkway approaching the interstate at Exit 407. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera at the ready and had already gotten on I-40 before what I saw had registered. I always said I would remember to get a photo the next time we went back, as we were regular vacationers there, but alas we haven't been back since and it's been 11 years. With the amount of development north of the exit since then, and what appears to be a minor widening of the road a bit north to accommodate the Bass Pro Shops and baseball stadium, I'd say those signs are long-gone.

those are, alas, quite gone.  as is the old-style 73 shield on a brown sign.

the last time I saw a Tennessee state-named shield was January 1st, 2006.  It was on 640 westbound and I do not remember if it was a 640 or a "TO 40", but it was the last shield before the merge with 40.

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Wonder if this one is still up?

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on May 28, 2011, 01:36:31 AM
Wonder if this one is still up?

the link is broken.  and copying and pasting as a direct image is also broken.

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Works fine for me... What kind of 'broken' is it for you?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Alex

I-85 northbound at Exit 106 2005:

I-85 northbound at Exit 106 2011:

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on May 28, 2011, 02:03:45 PM
Works fine for me... What kind of 'broken' is it for you?

I do not recall... but, a year later, it works fine.

I did not see the sign in Feb, 2010 - but I did not know where it was so I did not go out of my way specifically to look for it.

with regard to the Georgia gantry Alex posted - I thought GA was using EM instead of D on their signs now?

jake@aaroads.com

Eth

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 12, 2012, 12:36:41 PMwith regard to the Georgia gantry Alex posted - I thought GA was using EM instead of D on their signs now?

Yes, but that only started very recently (2010? 2011?) and I'm pretty sure these signs were replaced before that change.

All the HOT lane signage, however, is new enough to be in E(M).  It's a little hard to make out, but that next BGS at the far left of the photo is E(M).

Morriswa

Quote from: PennDOTFan on November 08, 2010, 04:28:10 PM
I-95 northbound just after entering Maine. First photo by Michael Summa in 1976:

43 years later, a photo my me:

I-395 northbound at exit 10 in Washington, DC. First photo by Alex on June 2nd, 2003:

7 years later, a carbon copied replacement:

1976+43=2019!  Are you saying that you went into the future to take this photo?

Ian

Quote from: Morriswa on April 26, 2012, 04:51:21 PM
1976+43=2019!  Are you saying that you went into the future to take this photo?

Why yes, yes I am. (I seriously don't know where I got 43 from. I obviously calculated it wrong)
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Morriswa

So how long was it, 33?

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Morriswa

It seems like you "fat-fingered" it.

CentralCAroadgeek

Here's a gantry on northbound 101 at the Tully Road intersection in San Jose.

Before:

After:

New signs have been installed as a result of the Tully Road reconstruction.

CentralCAroadgeek

Another before/after shot. This one is the CA-58 eastern terminus on I-15.

Before (July 2011):

After cardinal directions were added (January 2013):

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.