News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Carlisle, PA trip report... oh and the I-78 Express EZ-Pass is open

Started by NJRoadfan, May 24, 2010, 08:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJRoadfan

Attended the Carlisle Import, Kit, and Replicar Nationals car show this weekend.

Route taken: I-78,I-81,US-11

Observations:
-The new I-78 Express EZ-Pass lanes at the Delaware River crossing are now open, pretty standard setup.

-I-78 is now completely rebuilt in PA, all the old sections that overlap ye olde US-22 now have a concrete barrier

-How the heck is this roadway an interstate in some places? One part of the roadway is in a gully with no shoulders and trees right up against the roadway. Very parkway like, but certainly not Interstate quality.

-Finally clinched a 2di interstate. No end signs, just a simple interchange with I-81.

-I-81 was a decent roadway, it could stand to be widened to 3 lanes between I-78 and I-83 eventually. Traffic wasn't too bad for a saturday though.

-Some construction on the Susquehanna River Bridge. Its interesting to note that I-81 in Harrisburg is very similar to I-85 in Durham, NC. You skirt the city limits without realizing that you passed through it.

-The miracle mile on US-11 certainly is. Can they squeeze any more traffic lights between I-81 and the PA Turnpike?

-Overall a so-so day for the car show, the sun did come out later. The clouds were a blessing for the trip out there, kept the car comfortable since it doesn't have working A/C. Not everyday car #2 goes on a long road trip (350 miles roundtrip). Also PA gets a good grade for road smoothness for once. It can get a bit scary in that car on bumpy roads since the struts are toast.

akotchi

How was the section of I-78 between Phillipsburg and the river?  A project was just finished to rehabilitate the pavement.  Eastbound has a separate project just east of the newer portion.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Ian

Are there still buttoncopy on I-78 around Allentown? I remember about a year ago, there were tons of buttoncopy signage that doesn't look too old.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

PAHighways

Quote from: NJRoadfan on May 24, 2010, 08:24:53 PM-I-78 is now completely rebuilt in PA, all the old sections that overlap ye olde US-22 now have a concrete barrier

I remember a Jersey barrier along the median through the old portion when I was on it back in 2006.

Quote from: NJRoadfan on May 24, 2010, 08:24:53 PM-How the heck is this roadway an interstate in some places? One part of the roadway is in a gully with no shoulders and trees right up against the roadway. Very parkway like, but certainly not Interstate quality.

There's no alternative and the driving public only cares about following the 78 shield, so why not.

hbelkins

Quote from: PennDOTFan on May 24, 2010, 08:55:56 PM
Are there still buttoncopy on I-78 around Allentown? I remember about a year ago, there were tons of buttoncopy signage that doesn't look too old.

There was last fall when I went through there.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: akotchi on May 24, 2010, 08:42:54 PM
How was the section of I-78 between Phillipsburg and the river?  A project was just finished to rehabilitate the pavement.  Eastbound has a separate project just east of the newer portion.

Seemed like it was complete, I-78 in NJ west of the local/express setup has pretty much been completely repaved in the past year thanks to ARRA funds. The only sections left with original concrete is east of the Garden State Parkway. Thats slated to be rebuilt after the GSP/I-78 missing moves are done (which also includes a redecking/widening of the bridges carrying I-78 over the GSP).

Crazy Volvo Guy

Didja see the Volvo boys at Carlisle?

I wanted to go, but alas, my 244 wasn't ready for a 900+ mile highway trip.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: US-43|72 on May 29, 2010, 03:02:29 PM
Didja see the Volvo boys at Carlisle?

I wanted to go, but alas, my 244 wasn't ready for a 900+ mile highway trip.

Yes, I think next year we'll have one goal in mind.... take down the SAABs and get our coolest club hangout award back. 99 Audis were there this year, soo close. http://www.carlisleevents.com/ce/pdf/2010_Import_Club_Challenge_Winners.pdf

Crazy Volvo Guy

I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

empirestate

How long has the I-81 Susq Bridge roadwork been going on? Seems like the lane closures have been there since I last summered in the area in '06 and '07! Same project? or has there been a break?

froggie

Probably a different project.  I saw nothing over the course of last year...

Snappyjack

They sure put in that express EZPass quick. I was down there last November and it wasn't even thought of yet :-P

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.