News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Sign Replacement Overkill

Started by Alex, July 22, 2011, 07:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

With all these talks about budget woes, spending cuts, wastes of money, etc., some attention should be given to how often signs are needlessly replaced. Two examples I noticed this week while working on some page updates:

This particular sign was replaced four times over a six year period (2001-2007):

And even better, the first image taken in 2004, replaced in 2006, and again in 2008:

froggie

I'm assuming you're not counting hurricanes (or the signs survived them), considering there were some nasty hurricanes in that area in '04 and '05...

Alex

Quote from: froggie on July 22, 2011, 08:01:36 PM
I'm assuming you're not counting hurricanes (or the signs survived them), considering there were some nasty hurricanes in that area in '04 and '05...

I factored that as a possibility for just one of the sign replacements for Exit 22. Though other area signs (such as those for Exit 25) were unaffected, so even that is not guaranteed...

Central Avenue

Assuming those first four pictures are in chronological order, I'd say the latest exit 22 sign is also the ugliest.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

OracleUsr

Doesn't the MUTCD require that even the pull-through sign on the bottom set have the raised caps like the two guide signs, or not?
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

J N Winkler

Yes, the MUTCD does require taller initial caps for cardinal direction words, regardless of the type of sign on which the cardinal direction word appears.

I don't have pictures readily to hand, but after compiling about 10,500 TxDOT sign design sheets over a period of 10 years, I have seen some "frequent flyers."  I estimate that the signs for the SH 349 Iraan/Sheffield exit off I-10 in Crockett County have been replaced at least two, and possibly three, times.  I have seen signs for RM 620/McNeil Road on IH 35 in multiple contracts over several years.  Sometime in the late nineties or early noughties (certainly after 1998) TxDOT completely replaced the approach signing on IH 40 for the IH 27 turban when that interchange was reconstructed; later, in 2004, the new signs were themselves replaced with new Clearview signs.  I also suspect some of the signs on IH 10 in El Paso have been replaced twice in the last ten years.

There are often perverse incentives for unnecessary sign replacements.  Often construction plans for sign replacements are developed by consultants rather than in-house and if the fees are based on sheet count rather than cost-plus, there is an incentive for the consultant to include designs for signs which have been replaced only recently.  Some types of term maintenance contract (not used that frequently in the US, but very common in, e.g., England) incentivize early replacement of signs by providing full funding before a cutoff date, and only partial funding (effectively, a penalty for the term contractor) after that date; that encourages the term contractor to replace signs which are slightly damaged but still serviceable (fine scratches and dents, that kind of thing).  Many agencies don't have computerized sign inventories, let alone ones with built-in condition tracking, so oftentimes replacing the sign whether it needs it or not consumes less clerical and field resource than actually checking the sign before marking it down for replacement.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Central Avenue

Quote from: OracleUsr on July 25, 2011, 05:37:20 PM
Doesn't the MUTCD require that even the pull-through sign on the bottom set have the raised caps like the two guide signs, or not?

Also the fourth Exit 22 sign has "North" and "South" in mixed-case.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Alex

Quote from: Central Avenue on July 25, 2011, 03:06:58 PM
Assuming those first four pictures are in chronological order, I'd say the latest exit 22 sign is also the ugliest.

Correct, they are in chronological order. I also think the most recent install is the ugliest.  :nod:

Judging by how badly the sign is dealing with the elements, it likely will be time to change it yet again  :banghead:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.