News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Best interstate ever

Started by agentsteel53, August 20, 2013, 03:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

I've always liked the section of I-5 between Redding, CA and Medford, OR. It transitions rather quickly from the Sacramento Valley into the mountains, gaining a good bit of elevation and becoming very scenic. Shasta Lake, Mt. Shasta, Klamath River, Mt. Ashland, all within sight of the freeway.

architect77

Quote from: DSS5 on August 20, 2013, 06:40:27 PM
I'm not well-traveled enough to give a good answer, but I-40 is the one that most interests me and I'd love to clinch it one day. You get basically every landscape type in the contiguous U.S.
I've driven from North Carolina to Los Angeles 8 or 9 times. I took I-40 many times. The distance is greater than you think and smaller than you think at the same time. It involves 4 days of hard driving (12-14 hours each day), and 3 nights in a cheap motel for sleep. I highly recommend it, it's amazing to see the East Coast's tall trees slowly fizzle away down to nothing. (Crossing the Mississippi River marks a big transition). Oklahoma and the Texas panhandle mark the start of a completely flat and barren landcsape. You can see for miles in any direction. Then you notice the first little rock or outcrop (may 50 feet tall) which slowly transitions into the mighty Rockies. Oh, and Oklahoma marks the end of any green tree whatsover. It's all brown (and stunningly beautiful) from then on. I remember staying the night in Kingman, Arizona. A tiny town beside the interstate in a landscape that's so barren it feels like you're on the surface of the moon.

Driving cross country will make NC seem super populated with terrible traffic, compared to most of the rest of the country.

Jardine

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder:

I have cousins from Canada that were absolutely captivated by the flat empty expanses visible from I-80 across Nebraska.

They grew up in a mountainous, forested area, and could not get over the flatness and lack of trees across Nebraska.

Takes all kinds, but it is embarrassing to be related to them.   :-D

dgolub

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 20, 2013, 03:52:22 PM
I have not travelled enough of the ones out west to be able to comment, but of the ones on the East Coast, I like I-87 from Albany to the Canadian border for its scenic value (especially during the winter); while I find the strange sequential exit numbering to be extremely annoying, the scenic value trumps that.

Unsigned I-595 in Maryland is high on my list because I remember what the road was like before it was rebuilt to Interstate standards. Maryland did an excellent job on that project.

I-87 is probably my favorite interstate as well.  I've only done it as far north as Saratoga so far.

dgolub

Quote from: Steve on August 21, 2013, 07:39:50 PM
Now that my head's clearer, best Interstate is I-895 NY. It's the only urban Interstate I know of that never, ever gets a traffic jam.

Also the only interstate in the NYC area of New York State that I haven't been on.  Let's try to include it in the road meet next summer somewhere along the way.

xcellntbuy

Quote from: dgolub on October 26, 2013, 08:04:35 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 20, 2013, 03:52:22 PM
I have not travelled enough of the ones out west to be able to comment, but of the ones on the East Coast, I like I-87 from Albany to the Canadian border for its scenic value (especially during the winter); while I find the strange sequential exit numbering to be extremely annoying, the scenic value trumps that.

I-87 is probably my favorite interstate as well.  I've only done it as far north as Saratoga so far.
The ride along the Adirondack Northway from Lake George to Plattsburgh is mountainous serenity, literally as old as time itself. :nod:

vdeane

Try AuSable Forks.  Clinton County, despite including part of the Adirondack Park (which extends that far north to include AuSable Chasm), has surprisingly few mountains.  That said, the Clinton County portion is interesting for another reason - French signage and A-15 shields.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cpzilliacus

New Hampshire Turnpike (I-95).  15 miles of freeway perfection for $2. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

PColumbus73

I vote for I-77 from the NC/VA state line to I-64 through Charleston, WV. Bridges, tunnels, mountains, rivers, and cities all along a couple highways.

ap70621

Quote from: PColumbus73 on October 28, 2013, 03:27:07 PM
I vote for I-77 from the NC/VA state line to I-64 through Charleston, WV. Bridges, tunnels, mountains, rivers, and cities all along a couple highways.
I love that one too, especially coming down the mountain in Virginia shortly before the NC state line.

oscar

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 20, 2013, 07:32:03 PM
I'd argue H-3, but I don't remember what it's like east of, say, 83.  it may be boring.

It is.  Rock quarry on the way to the military base, with some scenic pullouts to view not-overly-scenic Kaneohe Bay.  The west end (passing the state prison and other industrial places) isn't too great either.  But in-between it's gorgeous, topped only by (IMHO) I-70 through Colorado's Glenwood Canyon.

North of Palo Alto where the freeway pulls away from the suburban sprawl, I-280 in California is pretty cool as well.  I was just there, but didn't notice if the boastful "world's most beautiful freeway" sign is still up (well, maybe most beautiful eight-lane -- topped at least by Interstate H-3, I-70 through Glenwood Canyon, and CA 163 through Balboa Park in San Diego). 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

ChoralScholar

I-540 between Alma, AR and Bentonville, AR is a masterpiece of a freeway - especially this time of year.
"Turn down... on the blue road...."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.