News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Where Have We Not Held a Roadmeet?

Started by paulthemapguy, November 08, 2023, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulthemapguy

It appears that roadmeets have been taking place for a long time, since a point in history long before I got involved in the community.  Those interested in organizing roadmeets may like to know which locations have already been the site of a previous roadmeet, as interest in roadmeets may be greater if they are held on ground that hasn't already been covered. Is there a list or database showing all the locations where roadmeets have previously been held?  If I were to host a roadmeet, I'd like to know if a roadmeet already took place at that same location, especially if there was already a roadmeet there recently.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

Max Rockatansky

A lot of places out west.  I've never heard of one for Bakersfield hence why it is on my list for next April.  Fresno never had one until this year. 

Nikolai

I'm currently working on a map myself that keeps a record of where road meets have been held; so far I've collected data as far back as 2010.

To my knowledge, these are the largest metropolitan areas in the U.S. and Canada that haven't had a road meet:

• Houston
  • Miami
  • San Francisco
  • Phoenix
  • Inland Empire
  • San Diego
  • Tampa Bay
  • Vancouver
  • Sacramento
  • Las Vegas
(edit: removed Dallas/Fort Worth)

Among smaller cities, Max has the right idea. Not just in the far west, but the majority of places in the whole western half of the continent have never had a meet.

Of course, there are plenty of other cities around the world that have also likely never had one.

74/171FAN

Should I ask Alex if I can claim the drive we went on around Tampa Bay back in March as a Tampa Bay Road Meet?   :D

(I do not think there has ever been a formal road meet there, but I am sure Alex, Brent, and others go on drives in the area all the time.)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 08, 2023, 12:23:00 PM
Should I ask Alex if I can claim the drive we went on around Tampa Bay back in March as a Tampa Bay Road Meet?   :D

Or when a bunch of us got together in Brooksville this summer at Florida Cracker Kitchen?

hbelkins

Gene VanDusseldorp (Gene Van from the MTR days) held a meet in DFW on Jan. 2, 2010. Only three people attended.

Meets I've hosted include western Kentucky, northeast Kentucky/tri-state, two in Pikeville, and Somerset. I've also hosted a meet in Charleston, WV, and tried to host one in the Beckley/New River Gorge area that I couldn't attend because of illness.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

So far I think I've been the only person to host a Seattle meet. Twice. I live by NYC. But a lot of WA and OR have not been touched.

roadwaywiz95

The following is a list (to the best of the resources available) of all road meet locations dating back to 1999, compiled recently as I continue to assemble a master photo album of meet photos from the last 25 years.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/zrxd6eiddsho5elvjlppi/Road-Meet-list.docx?rlkey=kzc44owbhysegs3294rpmpnn2&dl=0

In general, most cities west of I-29/49 and south of I-20 are fair game if you're looking to go host something in 'uncharted territory'.
Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

froggie

^ Dan, one to add to your list is Slidell/New Orleans, LA in 2008.  Held just before a hurricane hit and about a week before I transferred out of Mississippi.

Also, this is debatable whether to add to the list, but every March from 2016 to 2020, we had a "roadgeek dinner gathering" (or in the case of 2018, a lunch gathering) in Saratoga Springs, NY at a conference I attended at the time.

Bruce

Quote from: Alps on November 08, 2023, 06:42:57 PM
So far I think I've been the only person to host a Seattle meet. Twice. I live by NYC. But a lot of WA and OR have not been touched.

A Spokane meet would be fun.

bandit957

Cincinnati has had 2, but that's too few for such an important city.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

cl94

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 08, 2023, 11:50:19 AM
A lot of places out west.  I've never heard of one for Bakersfield hence why it is on my list for next April.  Fresno never had one until this year.

This. Bakersfield and Reno are next year. A couple of us have outlined potential Sacramento and Bay Area meets for the future amongs ourselves. Either Max Rockatansky or I could throw one of those together very easily. Salt Lake is on the "likely" list when our resident Wasatch Front expert has time to host it. Palm Springs is on the list for when the host is able to do it.

For smaller cities, a few of us have thrown around Salem OR, Oroville CA, Bishop CA, Santa Monica CA, Monterey CA as possibilities. IMO, most of the "good" stuff out west isn't in the big cities.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

Quote from: roadwaywiz95 on November 08, 2023, 07:06:21 PM
The following is a list (to the best of the resources available) of all road meet locations dating back to 1999, compiled recently as I continue to assemble a master photo album of meet photos from the last 25 years.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/zrxd6eiddsho5elvjlppi/Road-Meet-list.docx?rlkey=kzc44owbhysegs3294rpmpnn2&dl=0

In general, most cities west of I-29/49 and south of I-20 are fair game if you're looking to go host something in 'uncharted territory'.
A few additions/notes from meets I've been to:

2012: Ottawa actually had two, since a few of us couldn't make the main date.  There was also the St. Lawrence County meet, though that didn't have high attendance.
2013: There was a meet in Monticello, NY
2015: There was a meet in Buffalo and a two-day Long Island meet (starting in Greenvale Saturday and Smithtown Sunday)
2016: There was a meet around New Haven, CT
2018: There was the Pulaski-Wittpenn mini-meet (Newark, NJ)
2020: There was the Morris County, NJ meet
2021: There was the Atlantic Beach, NY mini-meet (for some reason noted as 2022)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hotdogPi

vdeane, weren't you there at the 2018 Newburyport meet?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

vdeane

Quote from: 1 on November 08, 2023, 09:23:22 PM
vdeane, weren't you there at the 2018 Newburyport meet?
That meet was in 2019, and it's already on the list.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cl94 on November 08, 2023, 08:39:00 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 08, 2023, 11:50:19 AM

This. Bakersfield and Reno are next year. A couple of us have outlined potential Sacramento and Bay Area meets for the future amongs ourselves. Either Max Rockatansky or I could throw one of those together very easily. Salt Lake is on the "likely" list when our resident Wasatch Front expert has time to host it. Palm Springs is on the list for when the host is able to do it.

For smaller cities, a few of us have thrown around Salem OR, Oroville CA, Bishop CA, Santa Monica CA, Monterey CA as possibilities. IMO, most of the "good" stuff out west isn't in the big cities.

I'd personally probably be more inclined to hit Monterey-Salinas first.  I know a Santa Barbara meet was once held given Daniel has mentioned it a couple times. 

NJRoadfan

Some more missing ones:
12/29/2002 - Queens/LI area - Started/Ended in Jamaica Estates
7/13/2003 - Edison, NJ and surrounding area - Lunch was at the Edison Diner

bandit957

Also, the Cincinnati "meets" of 2003 and 2005 were exclusive private events, unlike the meets of 2013 and 2020.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

A.J. Bertin

Here are some road meets I've attended over the years that should be added to this list:

-April 2004: Grandville, MI
-October 2004: Ann Arbor/Saline, MI
-December 2004: Northern Detroit suburbs, MI
-March 2005: Hastings, MI
-November 2005: Southern Detroit suburbs, MI
-November 2006: Brighton, MI
-September 2007: Toledo, OH
-September 2010: Marquette, MI
-November 2010: Saginaw/Midland, MI
-April 2011: Grand Rapids, MI
-October 2011: Wheeling, WV
-April 2012: Memphis, TN
-August 2013: Flint, MI
-May 2014: Starved Rock / Illinois Valley, IL
-May 2014: Toledo / U.S. 24 corridor, OH
-October 2014: Guntersville, AL
-July 2015: Walker County, AL
-May 2016: Corridor H, WV
-A.J. from Michigan

A.J. Bertin

Paul - I love this topic!  I'm glad you asked this question.  I am happy to share that many (but not all) of the cities I have in mind for my "city meets" in the future are cities that have never been represented during road meets.  That's definitely a factor that I've taken into consideration for my selections.   :cool:
-A.J. from Michigan

Great Lakes Roads

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on November 09, 2023, 12:07:58 AM
Imagine a road meet in Hawaii  :wow:

I would be down for a Hana Highway and Piilani Highway super semi-circle of Maui Road Meet.

A.J. Bertin

-A.J. from Michigan

Hunty2022

I'm calling dibs on the first Charlottesville Road Meet sometime in the future.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Rothman

Quote from: Hunty2022 on November 09, 2023, 07:44:29 AM
I'm calling dibs on the first Charlottesville Road Meet sometime in the future.
Pfft.  Nah.  We've had a couple of issues with people saying they're going to have a meet and then don't.  First announced, first serve.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.