The Worst of Road Signs

Started by Scott5114, September 21, 2010, 04:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

Quote from: andrewkbrown on March 22, 2011, 05:19:44 PM
A bad looking 35 on this speed limit sign in Washington DC.

The '3' reminds me of the euro symbol.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

74/171FAN

The good old VDOT old font/clearview combination,  I know this probably came as a result of the I-295 flyover project but still
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alex

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 23, 2011, 11:46:38 PM
The good old VDOT old font/clearview combination,  I know this probably came as a result of the I-295 flyover project but still

The Clearview greenout was added when an Exit Only placard was added below:
https://www.aaroads.com/mid-atlantic/virginia064/i-064_wb_exit_175_05.jpg

D-Dey65

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 21, 2011, 11:19:07 PM
THAT should be filed under the Best of Road Signs.  Yellow was the standard from 1924 to 1954.  the sign is old as Hell.  there's only a handful of yellow stop signs left in the US.
I remember a recent "Defensive Drivers" class where the teacher insisted that Yellow Yield signs also stopped being the standard in 1954. I could've swore it was 1971, especially since I remember a Readers Digest article from that year boasting about all the new changes to road signs that were happening in the country at the time.

J N Winkler

Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 24, 2011, 12:39:01 PMI remember a recent "Defensive Drivers" class where the teacher insisted that Yellow Yield signs also stopped being the standard in 1954. I could've swore it was 1971, especially since I remember a Readers Digest article from that year boasting about all the new changes to road signs that were happening in the country at the time.

Yes, I'd say 1971 is more probable because yellow-background yield signs appeared in signing construction plans well after 1954, including the first decade or so of Interstate signing plans in Minnesota.  I think, however, there was a transitional period when "RIGHT OF WAY" disappeared but the background remained yellow.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

D-Dey65

This is what I remember; The overwhelming majority of Yield signs were standard yellow triangles with black lettering, and occasionally you'd see some with the words "Right of Way" or "To the Right of Way" in smaller letters beneath them with the point on the bottom shaved off, and this was both in the usual black on yellow, and in white on red.

agentsteel53

1971 is the correct year for the change, but it is the 1970 MUTCD.

the MUTCD of 1970 actually appeared in 1971 due to various delays and what-have-you (your tax dollars at work).  I say "1970 MUTCD" because AASHO's interstate manual, complete with the same specifications for a subset of devices, made it in 1970 as planned.

the "right of way" vs no "right of way" and trapezoid vs triangle were I believe unspecified, and I know some states kept using the trapezoidal and/or right-of-way variant until 1978, which was the next MUTCD that explicitly specified the simple red and white triangle.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Alex on March 24, 2011, 11:22:37 AM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 23, 2011, 11:46:38 PM
The Clearview greenout was added when an Exit Only placard was added below:
https://www.aaroads.com/mid-atlantic/virginia064/i-064_wb_exit_175_05.jpg

And that was indeed a result of the I-295 flyover project, which included extending a lane from the end of the I-295 NB/I-64 WB ramp to the I-64 WB/VA 288 SB ramp, and the entrance to VA 288 was slightly reconfigured to include two exit only lanes as opposed to just one.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Quillz

Here's a so-bad-it's-good sign gantry in Oklahoma:

Michael

Quote from: Quillz on April 18, 2011, 11:31:21 PM
Here's a so-bad-it's-good sign gantry in Oklahoma:

Hey, at least it's a state named I-244 shield.  To be honest, I think I could've drawn better shields when I was 8.

Ian

Not all state named shields are good...

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

Quote from: US71 on April 19, 2011, 09:39:38 AM
Does this qualify? ;)

Someone needs to take a picture of Route YY intersecting Route Z and put it on a Rush fan's Flickr gallery. ;-)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rushmeister

I like the way you think, hbelkins.  Rush is great.  (For any who might be wondering, we're not talking about Rush Limbaugh.)
...and then the psychiatrist chuckled.

OracleUsr

Rush:  Yeah, but I still think La Villa Strangiato was their best instrumental.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

RustyK

YYZ was fun to play in Guitar Hero 2, though.  Not as crazy-go-nuts as Freebird, but satisfying to get through for sure

kurumi

Quote from: hbelkins on April 19, 2011, 11:37:54 AM
Someone needs to take a picture of Route YY intersecting Route Z and put it on a Rush fan's Flickr gallery. ;-)

Here's a "7/4" photo in Cornwall, CT: http://tinyurl.com/us7ct4
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Duke87

Heh. I was thinking the same thing.

Quote from: kurumi on April 19, 2011, 01:52:54 PM

Er... what does that have to do with anything?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

NE2

Well, it's an odd time signature, but it doesn't seem to be used (or used much) in YYZ.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

xonhulu

Here's a beauty I spotted outside of Lebanon, OR:

US71

tchafe1978

Quote from: US71 on April 19, 2011, 09:39:38 AM
Does this qualify? ;)

Outside of Dodgeville, WI on US 18/151 there is an intersection with county highways Y & YZ. I get that song in my head everytime I drive by it.

kurumi

Quote from: Duke87 on April 19, 2011, 08:31:37 PM
Quote from: kurumi on April 19, 2011, 01:52:54 PM

Er... what does that have to do with anything?

A number of Rush songs have portions in 7/4 or 7/8... Limelight, Xanadu, Subdivisions, Tom Sawyer, etc. Some prog fans (self included) are big fans of odd meters
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.