News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Sudden jump in exit numbers on WA Route 16

Started by Lytton, March 19, 2013, 12:13:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lytton

I've always noticed that whenever you cross the Tacoma Narrows Bridge on WA Route 16. The exit numbers jump from Exit 4: Jackson and 6th, to Exit 8: 24th Street, Tacoma Narrows Airport even though its a short bridge. I don't get it. Its like if crossing a long bridge would only give you Exit 10, instead of Exit 12.
Fuck GPS. I rather use my brain and common sense.

corco

Probably has to do with alignment changes. Before the bridge was built in 1950, SR 16 (then Highway 14) went by ferry from the peninsula to Titlow Park, and then followed 6th Avenue before somehow (I believe it took 6th to Division to Stadium to Pacific, but my memory is hazy on that one) ending at the US 99 junction at the intersection of Pacific and Puyallup

Lytton

Quote from: corco on March 19, 2013, 12:23:19 AM
Probably has to do with alignment changes. Before the bridge was built in 1950, SR 16 (then Highway 14) went by ferry from the peninsula to Titlow Park, and then followed 6th Avenue before somehow (I believe it took 6th to Division to Stadium to Pacific, but my memory is hazy on that one) ending at the US 99 junction at the intersection of Pacific and Puyallup

Probably the modern bridge we have today. I think there was also the Gallopin Gertie. Too bad the civil engineers didn't know what they were doing as they probably never did work in Washington before. Winds are gonna get bad there.
Fuck GPS. I rather use my brain and common sense.

Bruce

If you take a look at the exit list on Wikipedia for SR 16, you'll see how off the exit numbers are.

kkt

Quote from: Lytton on March 19, 2013, 12:28:50 AM
I think there was also the Gallopin Gertie. Too bad the civil engineers didn't know what they were doing as they probably never did work in Washington before. Winds are gonna get bad there.

The winds were not bad at all, under 40 mph.  I don't think there's anywhere in the world you'd build a bridge and have it be acceptable for it to collapse in 40 mph wind.  The problem was the engineers did not know how to account for resonant vibrations due to wind.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.