News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

How were the moderators chosen?

Started by hbelkins, April 21, 2014, 08:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Seeing this little conversation elsewhere:

Quote from: nexus73 on April 21, 2014, 11:18:50 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 21, 2014, 03:10:37 AM
Quote from: nexus73 on April 20, 2014, 07:58:57 PM
I always thought BLZBUB would make a good plate!

Too much political correctness is going on these days and we get it from both the Left and the Right.  Strange to see how when I discuss politics in a road/transport context a mod gets his panties in a bit of a bunch but this thread goes on without such.  See what I mean about "political correctness"?  Just like everyplace else including the dillrods at the DMV, this site has some who hate freedom and wish to muzzle discussion.  Here's what I got to say about that: "¹^"º "¹(-¿-)"º "¹^"º

For the rest of you who are more free-spirited, keep on keepin' on!

Rick

That's because this thread has not become a thread of "Let's bash Democrats/Republicans/individual members thereof". All that causes is people arguing that their team is better than your team and does little to change anyone's mind on the subject.

If you want MTR, you know where to find it.

Funny how you make assumptions about what I said but then you are just a 24 year old kid.  My comment dealt with a poor performing bureaucracy that deals in transportation.  How that becomes Demos vs Republicans is beyond me but okay, if that's what you see then that's what you see but please, don't drive on da' same road with me son!

Rick

...made me wonder: How were the moderators chosen?

I know a number of them from MTR and/or Roadgeek, but many others I'd never heard of until here. I just wonder who all was in on the original creation of this forum and how the moderators were selected then, and how others have been brought on board.

I will say that it does seem that a number of them tend to be on the younger side, and that the seasoned veterans seem to be underrepresented.

This is an honest question and not an attempt to stir up anything. I'm curious as to the origins of this forum.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

The first go-round of the forum (with V*ger), that I can't speak to. When we restarted, Alex approached me about becoming a mod. At that time, he only selected the admins and global mods, leaving the regional mods for selection later. I eventually became an admin when Scott O. dropped out. Scott N. has always been one, and the other admins perform useful site-maintenance type work (or own the whole thing). It's sort of based on who wants to be one, and who has the general maturity+time commitment to handle it.
(And we do make mistakes, and have infighting, but maturity is being able to reconcile and move past it.)

Jardine

I had assumed immaculate conception.

Interesting how once again real life has let me down . . . .

:wow:

Alex

Outside of V~ger, Andy, myself and Brent (flaroads) were the original admins being those who worked on the web site.

Steve, David and both Scotts formed the admin/moderation staff when the forum was restored post-V~ger. Both Scotts offered to help me restore the forum at that time, which went offline during the fall out... David and Steve were selected because they were well known in the MTR/roadgeek community.

Deathtopumpkins was chosen as a global moderator by V~ger in the infancy days of the forum. He was brought back on by all of us not long after we restored the forum.

Rickmastfan was later promoted to admin after helping us out with SMF during some of the hacks.

The regional moderators were selected over time, either by those who volunteered, or by discussion among ourselves for candidates that we thought were interested or who might be up for the task.

hbelkins

How long was it between the creation of the forum and the great V'ger meltdown? I'm wanting to think it wasn't too long after it got started.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Zeffy

Quote from: hbelkins on April 21, 2014, 10:54:26 PM
How long was it between the creation of the forum and the great V'ger meltdown? I'm wanting to think it wasn't too long after it got started.

From what I was told recently - I'm pretty sure it was around May of 2009. I'd like to think that the forum was a few months old by then, but I don't know all the details. What I am sure about is what V'ger did was immature, disrespectful, and quite frankly, I'm glad he was shown the door.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alex

Quote from: hbelkins on April 21, 2014, 10:54:26 PM

Created January 2009
Went offline May 2009
Brought back up June 2009
went back down for a couple of weeks in November 2009

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.