News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Greetings from Southern California

Started by bscout1, January 22, 2014, 02:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bscout1

Hello everyone!  I have been interested in roads and highways (specifically traffic control devices) since I was  a kid. I used to make  road signs using construction paper and a sign reference chart I got from a traffic control company.

I'm now  a civil engineer working for an engineering company that does traffic signal design and signing/striping plans. My first job with the company was with the I-405 Sepulveda Pass Widening Project where we did the design for the new signals, signing, and striping for LADOT and the new mainline signage and roadway lighting for Caltrans. Since being on this project I have a renewed
interest in anything road and highway related.

I recently found this forum and it's good to know there are more road geeks out there.  :D

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

TheStranger

Welcome!

Always great to see more California contributors here. :D
Chris Sampang

Zeffy

Welcome! If you get the chance you should share some of those plans with us (provided you have permission, of course) - we'd love to see them! (Well, I would.  :-P)
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alex

US 41

I think he qualifies for a green star since he's a civil engineer.  :nod:

BTW, Welcome to the forum.  :wave:

Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

sdmichael

hotdogPi

agentsteel53, are you coming to this board?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US 41

Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Alps

Grzrd

mrsman

Welcome aboard.  I'm originally from L.A. but now live in the DC area.  Love to see more Southern California roadgeeks aboard.

In popular media, we are the land of the freeway.  Let's try to replicate that here by having the strongest roadgeek community.

NE2

Quote from: mrsman on January 26, 2014, 01:32:36 AM
In popular media, we are the land of the freeway.
And the land of endless fucking sprawl.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

briantroutman

Quote from: NE2 on January 26, 2014, 01:48:26 AM
And the land of endless fucking sprawl.

Hardly.

Los Angeles is the #1 densest urban area in the US. The New York metro is #5. Chicago is #36. Orlando is #119.

That's sprawl.

NE2

Brandon

Quote from: NE2 on January 26, 2014, 03:34:51 AM
In popular media, dumbass.

The media can think and report what they want.  Doesn't change facts as brian posted above.  I've seen the LA area from the air.  The only open places are the mountains, and most are too steep for people to build on as much, but there's still a bunch of buildings on them.  As for the valleys, they're packed tighter than Prince Albert in a can.

He's right, if you want real sprawl, look no further than the Southeast and Florida in particular.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on January 26, 2014, 07:53:53 AM

The media can think and report what they want.  Doesn't change facts as brian posted above.  I've seen the LA area from the air.  The only open places are the mountains, and most are too steep for people to build on as much, but there's still a bunch of buildings on them.  As for the valleys, they're packed tighter than Prince Albert in a can.

He's right, if you want real sprawl, look no further than the Southeast and Florida in particular.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Steve on January 26, 2014, 12:01:56 PM
Quote from: Brandon on January 26, 2014, 07:53:53 AM

In moderately popular media, they are the land of the zombies.

In unpopular media, they are the land of the goats.

bscout1

Quote from: Zeffy on January 22, 2014, 04:25:14 PM
Welcome! If you get the chance you should share some of those plans with us (provided you have permission, of course) - we'd love to see them! (Well, I would.  :-P)
I wish I could but I can't at this time. If I can find an old copy of an LADOT signal plan I could post it. LADOT signal plans are pretty crazy with the amount of stuff we are required to show. I have a lot of respect for the contractors that are able to read those plans out in the field and build everything without sending us an absurd amount of RFI's.

JoePCool14

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.