News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Washington

Started by jakeroot, May 21, 2016, 01:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

When I see the name Parkway, I think of a road that's landscaped on both sides, like a Road through a Park.  Not a few miles of strip mall.

jakeroot

Likewise, I don't think of a 40 mph arterial with three hundred traffic lights as a "speedway".

Something brand new would be way cooler. Maybe "Terminal Way".

kkt

You're gonna die if you go that way?

jakeroot

Quote from: kkt on April 28, 2024, 08:48:09 PMYou're gonna die if you go that way?

[Mukilteo Ferry] Terminal Way.

There are quite a few other "Terminal Way" designations in other parts of the country, chiefly near airports or other cargo-handling places.

pderocco

Quote from: jakeroot on April 28, 2024, 05:39:54 PMLikewise, I don't think of a 40 mph arterial with three hundred traffic lights as a "speedway".
Depends on how they time the lights.

TEG24601

Quote from: jakeroot on April 28, 2024, 08:59:55 PM
Quote from: kkt on April 28, 2024, 08:48:09 PMYou're gonna die if you go that way?

[Mukilteo Ferry] Terminal Way.

There are quite a few other "Terminal Way" designations in other parts of the country, chiefly near airports or other cargo-handling places.
It would be hilarious if WSDOT gets involved and they have to call is "Whidbey Island Highway" or "Whidbey Island Blvd", given how much distain residents of old Mukilteo have towards the ferry and ferry traffic.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Bruce

A new interchange on I-405 has opened at NE 132nd Street in Kirkland. A half-diamond with two roundabouts to serve Totem Lake and EvergreenHealth.

The Ghostbuster

How common are roundabouts in the state of Washington?

Bruce

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 07, 2024, 10:52:13 PMHow common are roundabouts in the state of Washington?

We've got a few hundred now apparently. Many intersections have been converted, but they're still somewhat rare in interchanges.

Multilane, high-traffic ones are very rare. Lake Stevens opened one months ago that is still having frequent collisions.

jakeroot

I wouldn't say they're "very rare" but, yes, a plurality of roundabouts are single-lane, but that's true throughout the US.

Unfortunately, it's true that they are usually accident hot-spots. Some that come to mind:

• WA-20 @ WA-20 Spur (Sharpes Corner): lane reductions have taken place;
  • WA-510 (Marvin Rd) @ Pacific Ave (Lacey): lane reductions have taken place;
  • Steptoe @ Columbia Park Trail (Richland): lane reductions have taken place, and the westbound approach had a meter installed;
  • WA-16 @ Burnham Dr (Gig Harbor): both roundabouts were rebuilt to replace the original British design, but the western roundabout has undergone several changes (i.e. lane reductions) even after rebuilding.
  • I-90 @ Bendigo Blvd (North Bend): lane reductions have taken place so many times, I lost count.

It remains to be seen if 405 @ NE 132nd will prove to be a mess like other multi-lane roundabouts. I'm cautiously optimistic, but the data seems quite telling.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.