News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

"Duplicate" Ramps

Started by webny99, November 18, 2023, 12:46:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

What are some examples where two different freeway entrance ramps could be used for the exact same movement? This could be freeway to freeway or surface street to freeway (but not express or HOV lane entrances paired with a regular entrance). If possible, also include some context as to why the setup exists.

Here are the first three that came to mind, inspiring this thread:

(1) NY 33 at I-490
Cloverleaf interchange with a slight modification means there are two ramps that serve the NY 33 WB to NY 531 WB movement. The ramp that's part of the cloverleaf goes to NY 531, while the sole left turn in the interchange complex serves the NY 33 WB to I-490 EB movement... but in doing so also provides access to I-490's ramp to NY 531.

(2) NY 5 at I-90/I-290
Also a modified cloverleaf, the most noticeable modifications are the loop in the southwest corner being folded over the freeway, and the northwest quadrant having straight-through movements for traffic to/from Kensington Ave. Look a bit closer at the southwest quadrant, and you'll also notice that the on-ramp from NY 5 EB joins I-290 after the split for I-90 traffic, meaning it's actually a direct ramp to I-90 WB. But because of the Kensington Ave modification, there's still an option for NY 5 EB traffic looking to get to I-90 EB. They must turn left and join the loop ramp to access I-290, then merge left to reach I-90 EB at the upcoming split... or use the loop as an alternative to I-90 WB.

(3) US 275 at I-80
On US 275 EB, the loop ramp is signed for I-680 North, while getting to I-80 East requires a left turn (or so you'd think). But both ramps end up on the same roadway, with a split for I-680 and I-80 traffic about 1/2 mile down the road. This was presumably done to reduce merging on that stretch, which makes sense but also creates an extra light for the left turn on US 275.

Bruce

The Broadway Interchange in Everett, WA has a few examples: EB SR 526 to NB I-5 can be done via a left-lane ramp with access just beyond Evergreen Way (which then crosses under SR 526 and flies over) or via a loop ramp on the east side. NB SR 99 to NB I-5 has a dedicated ramp or one could turn right onto SB SR 527 and take the aforementioned loop ramp. For both of these, the flyover ramps were added in later upgrades to the interchange; SR 526's was added in the 1990s to handle demand from Boeing's 777 program, while SR 99's was there once a few bridges were moved around in the 1960s or 1970s.

Down in Seattle, I-5 at Northgate Way has two ways for traffic on 1st Avenue Northeast to enter I-5 NB: either the southern onramp from the mall or the ramp from the five-way intersection at Northgate Way itself.

Big John

I-75 SB to I-285 EB, NW Altanta. There is a newer multi-lane flyover ramp and an older loop ramp that both access it.  The reason the older loop ramp still exists is that traffic entering I-75 from Windy Hill Rd doesn't have access to the newer flyover ramp.

dlsterner

I can't help but think that we've had this thread before ...  But I'll contribute instead of being pedantic :)

Here are two cases near me:

1) Near Ellicott City MD - northbound US 29 to westbound I-70.  There is a loop ramp in the NE quadrant, although you can also turn left off US 29 and get onto the ramp that serves southbound US 29.  Personally, I prefer the latter since it's easier to get up to speed for merging onto I-70.

2) South of Baltimore - northbound I-97 to westbound I-695.  You normally would take an exit to the right onto a flyover, making a left hand merge onto I-695.  Later a second loop ramp was added after crossing I-695.  This was helpful for traffic that wanted to immediately exit onto MD 648 northbound, which was not possible from the flyover.

GaryV

For several years, at the end of EB Bus I-196 (Holland/Zeeland area), there were duplicate ramps to EB I-196. There was the signed cloverleaf ramp which was the intended ramp. But the ramp from the opposite direction could also be used. Since WB Byron Rd didn't have much traffic, you could often save a little time by making the left turn.

Later a "NO LEFT TURN" sign was put up, and the current configuration has a median island that doesn't allow the turn.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8117226,-85.9803764,311m/data=!3m1!1e3?authuser=0&entry=ttu

jt4

OH-334 west to US-68 south in Springfield. There is a cloverleaf and a left turn to the onramp within 50 feet of each other. Although presumably only eastbound traffic is supposed to use the onramp, road markings indicate the left turn from westbound was intended.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/hwYkE7eWUFuJdSph6

wriddle082

I-64 EB at I-264 EB in Norfolk, VA.  The primary exit is a ramp for both directions of 264 that splits, but if you continue straight on 64 you can take the Newtown Rd loop ramp and access 264 EB if you're able to get over into the far left lane in time.

TheHighwayMan3561

Golden Valley, MN: I-394 at TH 100. Going from eastbound 394 to southbound 100 you are offered a ramp split for 100 and an exit for Westside Drive. If you follow the Westside fork toward that exit you become another ramp that also offers a ramp to southbound 100 as well as the Westside exit. It's useful at rush hour as taking the Westside fork ramp is often less congested than the intended 394 EB-100 SB ramp.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SkyPesos

Some examples in the Cincinnati area:

- I-275 SB to OH 32 EB. It's signed for traffic going to OH 32 EB to use the flyover, and traffic to Eastgate to use the signal, though you can turn left at the signal and stay on OH 32 if you want.

- I-71 NB to Mason-Montgomery Rd NB and Mason-Montgomery Rd SB to I-71 SB. Both of these ramps are fairly new, and are meant for traffic in both movements to bypass 2 sets signals, but you can choose to go the "old way" if you want.

Former one: I-71 NB to Ridge Ave NB. Drivers could make a left turn on the Ridge SB ramp to go to Ridge NB. The separate Ridge NB ramp was removed a couple of years ago in preparation for a new ramp to Kenney Ave.

TheStranger

The one Los Angeles example that I always think of:  the San Bernardino Split just east of downtown, where US 101 intersects I-10 (former US 60/70/99).

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Boyle+Heights,+Los+Angeles,+CA/@34.0529157,-118.2257495,15z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x80c2c6029c9a59e9:0xec9ea70c76393a94!8m2!3d34.0297895!4d-118.2117257!16zL20vMDIzN204?entry=ttu

Since this was built about 10-11 years before work started on the East Los Angeles Interchange, the fully built out version of this junction involved ramps from US 101 north to I-10 east (at the time US 60/70 east and US 99 south) and what is now I-10 west to US 101 south.  When the Santa Monica and Golden State Freeways were built by the early 1960s, these movements were made redundant by the new ramp complex a mile to the east, connecting I-5 north to I-10 east and I-10 west to I-5 south.

From about 1962 to 1995, both sets of ramps existed in full.  The flyover from I-10 west to US 101 south (which now eventually feeds into I-5 south, as 5 took over the 101 designation for the Santa Ana Freeway past East LA) was closed and removed in 1995 but the simple right hand ramp from 101 north to I-10 east remains to this day.
Chris Sampang

tmoore952

One near me, also in Maryland. (and after typing this, yes we did discuss this relatively recently, I've only been on here a couple months and it was one of my first posts)

Going east on Shady Grove Road where it interchanges with what is now the "Shady Grove Metro Station Access Road" (formerly I-370).
To access eastbound MD 200 (ICC), you could (1) get into the left lane, and wait at a protected left turn for a dedicated ramp to MD 200 east, or (2) stay to the right, take a cloverleaf to "I-370 westbound" and when you get through the cloverleaf, stay to the far right for a ramp to MD 200 east.

I usually do option (2) because it means I don't have to wait at the left turn light for option (1) which can be time consuming.

If you are going westbound on Shady Grove Road, you can turn right onto the ramp for option (1), or turn left onto the cloverleaf for option (2). In this case option (1) would be better (same reason, don't need to wait for left turn light).

In that same area, if going east on I-370, you have two options for getting to Shady Grove Road. One is a ramp directly from I-370 and one is a ramp from what is now the"Shady Grove Metro Access Road" (formerly I-370).

The Shady Grove Road/"Shady Grove Metro Access Road" (then I-370) interchange was built in late 1980s. The ICC and any ramps associated with it did not come along until about 20 years later. So there was a time gap, which happens a lot in these cases. On top of that, it was mentioned to me during the earlier go-around that this entire interchange redesign was changed from its original concept, which might account for some of the duplication.

vdeane

I-87 both directions at exits 3/4 for Albany-Shaker Road.  Exit 3 goes to Albany-Shaker Road.  Exit 4 goes to Wolf Road or Old Wolf Road depending on the direction, both of which intersect Albany-Shaker almost immediately.  All possible movements can be made from both exits (in fact, until 2019, exit 4 was the only way to make these movements).  This results in two extra lights when traversing the interchange north-south on local streets (and more time spent sitting at a red on a third, no doubt).  The original plans called for exit 4 NB to become a right turn only ramp, and exit 4 SB to be eliminated entirely, but both ended up being retained in full.  As a result, exit 3 is underutilized, and the whole interchange area takes longer to traverse on local streets than it needs to (especially when heading north of Wolf Road, as the extra light for exit 4 often results in waiting a whole extra light cycle as the Albany-Shaker light, as the two are rarely green at the same time).  This is extremely frustrating when there is a problem on the Northway and I want to bypass it (especially as the light between Old Wolf and Albany-Shaker tends to back up all the way to the Wolf/Albany-Shaker/I-87 north light).

I'm surprised webny99 didn't mention I-590 at NY 31.  Not only can exit 2A from I-590 SB be used for both directions of NY 31, but NY 31 WB now has two ramps for I-590 SB (used to be just the loop ramp on the right; the traffic light to allow it access to the ramp from the other direction is recent).

I-890 exits 9A and 9B probably fit, too; it's possible to get to both NY 7 and NY 146 from both (and, indeed, one has to when using the other direction of I-890).

Quote from: dlsterner on November 18, 2023, 02:18:09 AM
I can't help but think that we've had this thread before
Same.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on November 18, 2023, 04:27:22 PM
I'm surprised webny99 didn't mention I-590 at NY 31.  Not only can exit 2A from I-590 SB be used for both directions of NY 31, but NY 31 WB now has two ramps for I-590 SB (used to be just the loop ramp on the right; the traffic light to allow it access to the ramp from the other direction is recent).

I was initially thinking about just entrance ramps, but I did forget about that new left turn. That makes three ways to enter I-590 SB, but only one way to enter I-590 NB, which is annoying, especially considering how much busier the latter movement is. I would have much rather seen the added left turn movement at NY 31 WB to I-590 NB instead (in fact, it's so egregious that I'm now wondering if it was somehow a mix-up on NYSDOT's part!?). And yet... that merge onto I-590 NB somehow still gets congested even with all entering traffic being channeled onto the single ramp from NY 31 EB.

Quote from: vdeane on November 18, 2023, 04:27:22 PM
Quote from: dlsterner on November 18, 2023, 02:18:09 AM
I can't help but think that we've had this thread before
Same.

Here is pretty recent one I missed before, but was for interchanges, not just ramps. Still, close enough that I'd be OK with a merge. And here is an older variant that's closer to a true duplicate.

vdeane

DE 1 north to I-95 north is an interesting case.  There's the flyover ramp from the left and a conventional ramp later on the right.  Moreover, the flyover ramp divides, with one merging on the left and the other merging into the ramp on the right.  So there are three ways to take the DE 1 N to I-95 N movement.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

dlsterner

I forgot about one local to me where there are three ramps available.  I-95 southbound where is merges onto the Washington Beltway.

First is the flyover ramp that exits off the left side, making a left hand merge onto the Beltway.  I think this is the newest of the three.

Second is the standard loop ramp in the SW corner.

Third is continuing south and making a U-turn at the weigh station & Park and Ride, and getting on a collector/distributer lane that merges into the Beltway, although not until past the US 1 interchange.  The weigh station is at the "stub" where I-95 was originally going to go through the city.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/r952TXsjWV7gBsFW8

Rothman

I-10 EB to I-95 NB in Jacksonville.  Either ramp  can be used at the end of I-10.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Northbound US 119 to eastbound I-64 just prior to the Kanawha River crossing in Charleston, WV. There's a flyover that exits to the right as well as a left turn. Both merge on the ramp.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/6FEYPRq5qV94RGYw6

I still wish this forum had the ability to embed maps instead of having to post links to them. Like the below...

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m14!1m12!1m3!1d3129.022178677964!2d-81.64999062830269!3d38.34846871018479!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1!5e0!3m2!1sen!2sus!4v1700494721104!5m2!1sen!2sus" width="600" height="450" style="border:0;" allowfullscreen="" loading="lazy" referrerpolicy="no-referrer-when-downgrade"></iframe>

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

US 29 at I-70 West. Has a left and aright ramp going NB to WB.

Its been talked about several times.
Quote from: wriddle082 on November 18, 2023, 09:32:10 AM
I-64 EB at I-264 EB in Norfolk, VA.  The primary exit is a ramp for both directions of 264 that splits, but if you continue straight on 64 you can take the Newtown Rd loop ramp and access 264 EB if you're able to get over into the far left lane in time.

The Newtown Road loop was the sole ramp as that exchange was originally a simple cloverleaf.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

lepidopteran

Two examples around Columbus, OH

The ramp from the I-270 outer loop to I-670 WB splits in the middle.  Both ramps lead to the same highway, same direction.  But one ramp puts you on the left lane of I-670 (the original configuration, when the highway was only known as US-62 and was much shorter), and the other leads to the right lanes.  The latter ramp is signed for the airport, since there is an exit for the airport access road or "International Gateway" about a half-mile away on the right.

Another example may be found on I-70 WB at SR-315 NB.  Here, a right exit puts you on 315's right lane, and a left exit puts you on the left.  The right exit is only signed for Rich St. and Town St. (US-62/SR-3) a right exit that comes almost immediately.  Note that the I-70/SR-315 interchange, which also connects I-71 to the south, is undergoing major reconstruction at this time.  As such, I'm not sure if this exit ramp configuration will remain.

newyooper

Northbound 395 in Arlington VA to South Hayes Street.  Three straight exits.  First one (exit 8A) takes you to South Hayes (and Washington Blvd westerly).  Second (Exit 8B) takes you to Washington Blvd (northerly).  Third (Exit 8C) takes you to South Hayes.

7/8

Two examples in my area:

There are two on-ramps from Ottawa near Homer Watson to Highway 7/8 EB (Sat. view). With the two roundabouts in this area, you can use either ramp.

Authorized vehicles have two options to exit from Highway 8 WB to Maple Grove EB. (Sat. view)
1) The standard exit ramp signed "Maple Grove Road EAST" (GSV)
2) Take the exit for "Sportsworld Drive WEST", then use the left turn lane designated for "authorized vehicles" (GSV)

Bickendan

Westbound I-84 can be done by taking southbound I-205 and then exiting at the next exit, or by staying in the 84 mainline.

RZF

Camarillo, CA - Carmen Dr to US-101 South. There's an entry ramp off Carmen and an entry ramp off Ventura Blvd just west of the In-N-Out. If you make a mistake of turning left onto Carmen from Ventura and meant to get on the freeway, you have a second chance:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.2171279,-119.0512296,1074m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu

Ventura, CA - Victoria Ave to US-101 South. Entry ramp off Valentine Rd (serving southbound Victoria Ave traffic) and entry ramp off Victoria Ave (serving northbound Victoria Ave traffic). There's a median separating NB/SB traffic at the Victoria ramp, and there is typically a lot of traffic on this street, so I assume that's why there are two entries.
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.2516827,-119.2123562,1082m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu

D-Dey65

Quote from: Rothman on November 19, 2023, 07:20:10 PM
I-10 EB to I-95 NB in Jacksonville.  Either ramp can be used at the end of I-10.
True, but the outermost ramp includes ramps to other local roads.

And really, those exits should be renumbered for I-10.

Evan_Th

I-405 NB to SR 520 EB in Bellevue.  The ramp splits, with the left fork signed for "124th Ave NE."  That actually joins SR 520, in the right lane, just before that right lane becomes an exit for 124th Ave NE.  Then, the right fork - which was signed for "SR 520 East" - joins 520, also in the right lane.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.