News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

vtk

Cropping the photo would be nice, for multiple reasons: it's more obvious what's being featured in the photo, and the cropped photo will have a much smaller file size.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

architect77

Is this Central North Carolina shot on US-64 good enough for the "Best of" thread?

national highway 1

Quote from: architect77 on November 01, 2014, 09:58:17 PM
Is this Central North Carolina shot on US-64 good enough for the "Best of" thread?

Nah, cause I-74 in NC is an egregious violation of the interstate grid and it is located too far south.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

SignGeek101

I don't know how many "olde" style Quebec signs are left (the ones with the older exit arrow on them), but there can't be that many. Sign has a lot of extra green space though.

Not my pic.

Alex

Good photo. Those signs look decent enough too.

vtk

All I see (on this mobile device) is a question mark box.  On my desktop machine, Firefox tends to warn me about security certificates not being quite right when I view photo-heavy threads like this one, so maybe that's the problem with this image (or, rather, its host site) and this device just refuses to load the image when there's a problem like that.

hbelkins

^^^ The image is hosted on Photobucket.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

Quote from: SignGeek101 on November 01, 2014, 11:29:36 PM
I don't know how many "olde" style Quebec signs are left (the ones with the older exit arrow on them), but there can't be that many. Sign has a lot of extra green space though.

Not my pic.
There are a few.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

Quote from: vdeane on November 02, 2014, 04:07:07 PM

Not my pic.

There are a few.

Why in the world would they drop those? They're brilliant!

SignGeek101

Quote from: jakeroot on November 04, 2014, 01:09:15 AM
Quote from: vdeane on November 02, 2014, 04:07:07 PM

Not my pic.

There are a few.

Why in the world would they drop those? They're brilliant!

I agree, I think they're clearer than the ones now. I dont know why on earth they would scrap the idea.

Zeffy

This baby is still holding strong, but I fear it's days are limited:

Sorry about the window glare, but it's not like I was using anything special anyway (iPhone 6 camera) to take it.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

vtk

Back when the only two sizes of text you needed for a BGS were 10.67" D and 16" EM...

Darkchylde

Found these along I-29 North, near KCI.

Edit: There's your crop and zoom.

jakeroot

Quote from: Darkchylde on November 10, 2014, 01:42:19 AM
Found these along I-29 North, near KCI.

What am I are we supposed to be looking at here? Perhaps a zoom and crop is in order, Darkchylde.

Darkchylde

Check the edited post above, Jake.

roadfro

^ Yeah...not sure why this would be "best of"...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Darkchylde

Quote from: roadfro on November 11, 2014, 02:24:39 AM
Older specs and still perfectly serviceable. Believe me, if something so faded it's hardly legible during the day can count as "best," that can too.

roadfro

Quote from: Darkchylde on November 11, 2014, 02:29:54 AM
Quote from: roadfro on November 11, 2014, 02:24:39 AM
Older specs and still perfectly serviceable. Believe me, if something so faded it's hardly legible during the day can count as "best," that can too.

Old or new, it's gotta look good. I think a sign that is old and a bit faded, or one that is brand new, can be best of...as long as the sign is designed well.

Sorry, I don't think that these signs are particularly attractive looking. To each his or her own.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Kacie Jane

The yellow on the bottom is too narrow, making the EXIT ONLY look a little squished. Also, the white border extends all the way around the sign, instead of having a black border around the yellow. I'm not a fan of the exit tabs, but if that's a standard in that state, I wouldn't take points off for it.

The second point in particular would be enough for some people here to put it in "worst of". For me it's just a run of the mill sign. Certainly not best of though.

Zeffy

Discussion on airport identification codes has been moved to:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=13953.0

Please keep the discussion focused on the actual signs themselves. Thanks!
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Scott5114

The exit tabs are old MO standard. More recent signage includes standard right-aligned exit tabs flush with the panel, like every other state.

Is that button copy or early reflectorization?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Darkchylde

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 14, 2014, 02:12:25 PM
The exit tabs are old MO standard. More recent signage includes standard right-aligned exit tabs flush with the panel, like every other state.

Is that button copy or early reflectorization?
They looked reflectorized, though I haven't been up there at night to see.

Mergingtraffic

original NJ Tpke signage.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

jakeroot

Quote from: doofy103 on November 22, 2014, 09:36:44 PM
Tpke signage.

Tip-key. That's how I read that. Good find, though. I like the square corners. That's a NJ Turnpike thing, right?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.