News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Introducing the AARoads Wiki

Started by Scott5114, September 07, 2023, 06:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Quote from: vdeane on September 16, 2023, 04:24:11 PM
I can't help but wonder if the "reading a map is original research" thing is being at least partly fueled by the fact that such is a skill that is dying out in the era of GPS navigation.

Reading a map is a 1st-or 2nd Grade skill; it is literally taught in public schools from the moments after left/right/up/down is understood and basic compass directions. So if even children have these things as required two-dimensional steps to get a grade, they're only a few steps away from basic reading skills.

odditude

Thanks to all involved in setting this up - backend, frontend, and content.

chrismarion100

Anyone else can't sign up because of this "Incorrect or missing CAPTCHA." bug thing

rschen7754

Quote from: chrismarion100 on October 02, 2023, 04:22:19 PM
Anyone else can't sign up because of this "Incorrect or missing CAPTCHA." bug thing

The question is there. If you can't see it can you post a screenshot?

andrepoiy

Same. Can't sign up due to missing CAPTCHA.

Bruce

I can confirm the new account creation is working (as I just created an alt account for myself). Just be sure to do the captcha correctly.

andrepoiy

I figured out the captcha, it certainly wasn't intuitive

cahwyguy

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 07, 2023, 09:34:46 PM
While I'm kind of busy with my own projects on GN I would encourage anyone wanting to write something for California highways to rip the public documents they need from our page.  I purposely embed hyperlinks and add scans for pretty much everything in the public domain.  The way I see it, reference materials should be easy and free for everyone to use:

https://www.gribblenation.org/p/golden-state-highways-version-30.html?m=1

Just a note that I've had a love/hate relationship with the Wiki pages on California highways (perhaps because I've been working so long to be an authoritative resource. That said, I don't mind borrowing WITH CREDIT, and I welcome corrections to my pages from the Wiki team. We're all one big family, and we should be saying the same thing (but perhaps with slightly different focus).

(but I was there first  :-D )
Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cahwyguy on October 03, 2023, 12:27:46 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 07, 2023, 09:34:46 PM
While I'm kind of busy with my own projects on GN I would encourage anyone wanting to write something for California highways to rip the public documents they need from our page.  I purposely embed hyperlinks and add scans for pretty much everything in the public domain.  The way I see it, reference materials should be easy and free for everyone to use:

https://www.gribblenation.org/p/golden-state-highways-version-30.html?m=1

Just a note that I've had a love/hate relationship with the Wiki pages on California highways (perhaps because I've been working so long to be an authoritative resource. That said, I don't mind borrowing WITH CREDIT, and I welcome corrections to my pages from the Wiki team. We're all one big family, and we should be saying the same thing (but perhaps with slightly different focus).

(but I was there first  :-D )

I'm tempted to create an AAroads Wiki account to clarify the western terminus history of US 66 in California.  That item (7th and Broadway) in particular is something hard to look at and not edit when I stumble upon it on Wikipedia. 

But yes, both our sites are chock full of information regarding California that would never been acceptable on regular Wikipedia.  It seems crazy to me that DOT sources in particular would ever been a reference issue.

rschen7754

Quote from: andrepoiy on October 03, 2023, 12:26:47 AM
I figured out the captcha, it certainly wasn't intuitive

Maybe it's a generational thing? If all else fails you can Google it.

WillWeaverRVA

I can't seem to create my own user page for some reason, it says I don't have permission.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

rschen7754

Quote from: andrepoiy on October 02, 2023, 10:04:32 PM
Same. Can't sign up due to missing CAPTCHA.

A line break has been added to make the captcha question more obvious.

D-Dey65

For those who don't have trouble signing in, I just started adding info on the realignment of Florida SR 40 and extension of SR 44 on Wikipedia. Those on the AARoads Wiki should follow up on that, and add further info when they can get it.

I'm also working on a sandbox for the new description of Florida State Road 60, and I've updated the future projects for Florida State Road 50.

rschen7754

D-Dey65

The Florida State Road 60 page on Wikipedia has been updated. I see that FL 33, 40, 44, and 50 still need to be worked on at the AA Roads Wiki, and the SR 33 page still needs SR 33A shields for both versions.

Did anybody else know that the Pan-American Highway was blown up by communist guerillas in El Salvador during the 1980's?

rschen7754

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 11, 2023, 09:03:50 AM
The Florida State Road 60 page on Wikipedia has been updated. I see that FL 33, 40, 44, and 50 still need to be worked on at the AA Roads Wiki, and the SR 33 page still needs SR 33A shields for both versions.

Did anybody else know that the Pan-American Highway was blown up by communist guerillas in El Salvador during the 1980's?

Hi, if you want the AARoads Wiki updated, I would suggest that you create an account and update it yourself. We simply do not have the resources to chase down forum posts and figure out what needs to be updated.

seicer

Hi Rschen7754 - It's good to see you on the AARoads wiki. I remember you from many years ago when I was active on Wikipedia. I haven't edited there in any major capacity in years because of disagreements in its direction, but saw your last Center Line newsletter about the changes. I was wondering what the deal was with the AARoads wiki and now understand the why.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Interesting notion that road fans/roadgeeks aren't interested in anything but immediate history.  Can't say that's something I agree with. 

seicer

The perspective offered in the article is intriguing, but I find myself in disagreement. In the United States, railfans have traditionally focused their passion on the historical aspects of railroading, particularly the early 20th century. The decline in the rail industry during the latter half of the century has garnered less attention, as the narratives from that period tend to be more somber. There is also a tendency in historical accounts to overlook key developments in railroading during the late 20th and early 21st centuries. An exception to this trend is the Brightline service, which represents a notable success in renewing interest among railfans in contemporary rail initiatives.

Contrastingly, in countries like China and Japan, there is substantial enthusiasm for modern rail infrastructure, fueled by significant investments in this area.

The history of highways, conversely, tends to focus on more recent developments. There was scant literature on road infrastructure prior to the creation of the interstate highway system, with only sporadic mentions of bridge and road improvements. Comprehensive documentation generally began during the WPA era, subsequently followed by other government-funded programs. This correlated with the rise in commercial photography for the sake of preservation and documentation.

This backdrop poses unique challenges for documenting niche subjects, where secondary sources are scarce. Such was the case in a debate I engaged in over the use of materials from the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway Historical Society. While a *few* considered this a primary source due to its direct connection to the subject, in many instances, it's the most reliable documentation we have. Where else are you going to find scans, track layouts, and schematics? Secondary documentation is next to nil for the railroad.

The phrase "It's bureaucracy for the sake of bureaucracy" encapsulates my experience as a Wikipedia administrator. Over time, the platform has become bogged down with controversies over minor issues, excessive bureaucracy, and declining participation. This has led to outdated content, broken links, and references that diminish the utility of the resource.

Max Rockatansky

Scant in the past?  If anything there is more information available regarding highways the further back in time you go.  The problem is that it often comes from primary sources like State Highway Departments or AASHO (which Wikipedia doesn't like). 

Off the top of my head here is a list of State level publications on highways I'm familiar with which pre-date the Interstate system that I'm aware of:

-  California Highway Bulletin (1912-1916)
-  California Highways & Public Works (1924-1967)
-  Arizona Highways (1920-current) (note, the magazine isn't really "road" centric anymore)
-  Florida Highways (1924-1950)

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 08, 2023, 03:55:57 PM
The AARoads Wiki made Slate: Why Wikipedia's Highway Editors Took the Exit Ramp

Is this where I announce that the AARoads Wiki is a sham; we sent ourselves out here because we're trying to take over the Empire, but first we have to defeat the forces from Anacreon Wiki, the Thespis'wiki, and Korellian State Policipedia before starting out on the creation of a New Galactic Wikipedia (keep an eye out for a user called TheMule360, just a hunch).

rschen7754

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 08, 2023, 06:07:48 PM
Scant in the past?  If anything there is more information available regarding highways the further back in time you go.  The problem is that it often comes from primary sources like State Highway Departments or AASHO (which Wikipedia doesn't like). 

Off the top of my head here is a list of State level publications on highways I'm familiar with which pre-date the Interstate system that I'm aware of:

-  Arizona Highways (1920-current) (note, the magazine isn't really "road" centric anymore)

Well, before around 1900 there's a sharp drop-off and many of us do really stop caring.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: rschen7754 on December 08, 2023, 08:07:10 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 08, 2023, 06:07:48 PM

Well, before around 1900 there's a sharp drop-off and many of us do really stop caring.

I mean hey, transportation corridors are rarely fully developed in the vacuum of the post-1956 Federal Highway Aid Act era.  It does the reader a disservice to not hit on full history of a corridor if there is something tangible prior to the 20th century to address.  Digging for stuff that old is hard, but often not impossible.

seicer

I remembered pursuing the transportation libraries in Kentucky and West Virginia back in college and there wasn't that much old stuff pre-WPA era to pursue. While the state did have records, it wasn't in a way that was easily digestible and not as easily accessible. Very little was online or in a database. In other words, worthless to Wikipedia. Both states have since added highway plans to a geo-coordinated map but that is still considered a primary source and an interpretation of a map, so it would still be worthless to Wikipedia.

I'd be curious if other states had developed publications on the line of California, Florida, and Arizona.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.