News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York City standard sign designations

Started by Alps, December 22, 2014, 07:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Making this post for a friend (route17fan here on the forum) who is trying to assemble NYCDOT's sign designations. His message to me:

The emerging pattern I've noticed is as follows:

Guide signs: begin with S, SD, SI, and SR
Parking signs:               SI, SP, and R
Regulatory signs:          SI, SP, SR, and R
Warning signs:              SI, SW, and W

Guide signs, specifically BGS, will have the SI number and a letter corresponding with the boro- 
Q- Queens
K- Brooklyn
B- Bronx
M- New York

I have not seen (yet) what Staten Island/Richmond county would be - I presume R for Richmond

I had thought there was an actual listing of all of these signs, albeit an internal/unreleased one. Does anyone know of such a listing? I also thought I was able to find sign design templates for some of them online but had no luck retracing my steps. IIRC it was in some appendix to another document. Barring any of that, does someone have a more comprehensive or precise definition of NYCDOT signs?

Side note - I'm thinking some of these designations are deprecated, particularly SI. I would imagine SW = warning, SP = parking, SR = regulatory, SD = guide.

route17fan

I thank you Steve. :)  I have posted 'galleries' of individual sign graphics in NYCRoads.com and Northeast Roads on Facebook so that individuals can add images. I have been also trying to gauge how 'useful' something like that would be.

Do many of you wonder what the NYCDOT inventory number is for the sign "TRUCKERS use expwys not pkwys (low clearance sign) IT'S THE LAW"? Does anyone care?

I had started gathering the information around the time the video of the NYCDOT sign shop surfaced and they showed an image of the school crossing sign and its' corresponding inventory number. I then scoured my NYC photos and created graphic representations of them (as opposed to a photo, which I would think would detract with the surrounding clutter of the sign) as the intent is making a resource that one and all could use.

Not to mention, with over 2 million signs, I would never get it all logged (laughs) so I resorted to Flickr photos which I manually drew in a notebook and transferred it to a graphic - which some might recognize as graphics. The intent is to see if, for example SI-12345B in the Bronx would be a similar sign as SI-12345Q in Queens. Probably not, but just curious about how the numbering scheme works.

I welcome feedback. Is this a waste of time or something that could be eventually a catalog that road enthusiasts could use?
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

NJRoadfan

Quote from: Alps on December 22, 2014, 07:13:13 PM
I have not seen (yet) what Staten Island/Richmond county would be - I presume R for Richmond

That is correct: http://goo.gl/maps/ge0ar

route17fan

route17fan

I have a theory - NYCDOT makes over 2 million signs. Fair enough. I have to figure that while there are at least that amount of individual signs out there, I have to figure that most of them are stop signs and street name signs, followed by general regulatory (including parking) and warning signs; leaving the rest of them boro-specific (whether it's regulatory or guide).

Example: Manhattan has its' own turn restrictions and vehicular restrictions and signed as such. The other four boros sign accordingly with their own individual traffic situations and specific sign(s) designed for it and given a designation.

So my theory is essentially out of 2 million+ signs, I would guess half are stop signs and street name signs, leaving approximately 1,000 (give or take) individual boro signs making for about 5,000 or so signs to 'catalog' - I am taking in to account guide signs on parkways and expressways state-DOT maintained.

Is this a valid theory? I know a lot could care less, and I understand and respect that, but of those (few) who do, am I way off base? I welcome feedback.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.