News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

"Isolated" freeways

Started by getemngo, June 12, 2014, 07:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getemngo

In metro Detroit, M-53 has a freeway portion that does not connect to any other freeways - not at its north end, not at its south end, no interchanges. The closest it comes is with M-59, whose freeway section ends a mile west of M-53. M-53's freeway will likely never touch another freeway, unless traffic volumes someday justify extending it north to I-69.

How many other freeways out there have no connections with any other freeways?

Isolated freeway "systems" also count - for example, PA 611 and US 202 around Doylestown, PA have an interchange, but you can't reach any other freeways from the two. Essentially, these are freeways from which you can't access the Interstate Highway System without using surface roads somewhere.
~ Sam from Michigan

SteveG1988

Would NJ90 count, Without crossing the bridge you have only NJ73, a county road, US130 to connect to. NJ 33 has an isolated freeway section that only connects to US9
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Doctor Whom

Many bypass routes.  Also, the US 40 freeway in Baltimore wasn't supposed to be this, but it is.

Revive 755

Perhaps the category should be narrowed to exclude freeways that continue on in expressway/semi-expressway form on one or both ends.  That said:

* The Elgin-O'Hare Expressway in Illinois, although construction is currently underway on the eastward extension that will connect it to I-290.

* The Amstutz Expressway/IL 137 in Waukegan - Originally intended though to connect to I-94 at the IL 137 interchange, although the east-west section along the east-west part of IL 137 didn't survive the EIS process.  The isolated north-south section was supposed to be much longer though.

* IL 8/IL 116 from Washington Street in Peoria to Main Street in East Peoria

Ian

US 1 from just north of the Maryland state line to Kennett Square, PA.

Also, US 1 between Brunswick and Bath, ME.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

vdeane

NY 13 in Ithaca
NY 5S
Actually, pretty much every freeway in Region 2 is a partial example (due to the Thruway/I-790 interchange; also: the arterial)
Part of the Lake Ontario State Parkway if you're being anal
US 209/NY 199
US 4 west of Rutland
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadrunner75

There's quite a lot of these - many bypass routes as mentioned above, including freeway segments with two lane roads on each end - Kutztown bypass (US 222) in PA for example.

thenetwork

US-20 in Norwalk, OH
US-62 and it's unnumbered segment US-62B in Alliance, OH
US-40/I-170 in Baltimore.

froggie

- Several outstate Minnesota bypasses.
- US 3/NH 11 Laconia, NH
- If we're including Super-2's, NH 101 Milford, NH
- US 7/VT 279 around and north of Bennington, VT

andy3175

In California, we have the SR 29 bypass of Lakeport and the SR 20-49 bypass of Grass Valley/Nevada City. Neither of these short freeways connect to any other freeway.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

wxfree

As mentioned, there are many such roads along bypasses.  The most interesting to me is the bypass around Seymour, Texas.  It's built as a freeway, although it carries fewer than 3,000 vehicles per day and is in an isolated area that's losing population, which makes it seem like it may have been a bit overdesigned.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Duke87

For Connecticut:
- Willmantic bypass on US 6
- CT 2 bypass of Mohegan Sun
- CT 78 (teeechnically)

The Kensington bypass was a former example but it is now hooked into CT 9.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alex

US 123 in Upstate SC - Easley to Clemson
Rome, GA bypass
Griffith, GA bypass
Monroe, GA bypass
MidBay Connector around Niceville, FL
Amstutz Expressway - IL 137 north of Chicago.

pianocello

Quote from: Revive 755 on June 12, 2014, 08:53:27 PM
* IL 8/IL 116 from Washington Street in Peoria to Main Street in East Peoria

I never considered that to be a freeway, although I can see it now.

An isolated system that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned is I-2, I-69C, and future(?) I-69E in South Texas.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

getemngo

It's not surprising that most of these are bypasses. A fun one will be Georgia's Athens Perimeter once its last traffic light is removed, since it's essentially a beltway example of this!

Quote from: SteveG1988 on June 12, 2014, 08:35:07 PM
Would NJ90 count, Without crossing the bridge you have only NJ73, a county road, US130 to connect to.

Why wouldn't you count the bridge? Because it crosses a state line? It's still a freeway that has a full interchange with I-95.

Quote from: Revive 755 on June 12, 2014, 08:53:27 PM
Perhaps the category should be narrowed to exclude freeways that continue on in expressway/semi-expressway form on one or both ends.

Yeah, there's too many expressway examples to list, and I'd prefer to stay away from those. (I guess my first post breaks this rule, since M-53 has an expressway section at the northern end of its freeway section... but it doesn't break the spirit, since it is a surface highway when it reaches both I-696 and I-69.)
~ Sam from Michigan

roadman65

The Humelstown Bypass in PA for US 322.  At both ends it connects to expressway segments of either US 322 or US 422 with also US 322 exiting at its east end for a two lane road.

US 202 between the Delaware River and NJ 31 in New Jersey.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

TheStranger

Quote from: andy3175 on June 13, 2014, 12:04:36 AM
In California, we have the SR 29 bypass of Lakeport and the SR 20-49 bypass of Grass Valley/Nevada City. Neither of these short freeways connect to any other freeway.

Other California examples I can think of:

- Route 65 in Porterville

- La Cienega Boulevard (was to have been part of Route 170) through Kenneth Hahn Recreation area

- Route 1 between Castroville and Monterey

- Route 99 in Chico

- Route 29 in Napa

- Route 70/149 through Oroville

- Route 99 in Yuba City
Chris Sampang

dfilpus

All American Freeway - Fayetteville NC -  Until  I 295 (Future) connects to it, it continues as city streets on both ends.

Pete from Boston

MA 116 in Hadley, Mass.  Pretty much serves to divert move-in/move-out/commencement traffic for UMass.

hbelkins

Virginia has a lot of these. US 23 between Norton and Big Stone Gap (basically, the Alternate US 58 concurrency) is the closest one to me.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bugo

US 70/270 and US 70B in Hot Springs, AR.  The 70/70B interchange is not quite a freeway to freeway interchange as it has one ramp from EB 70 to WB 70B that has an at-grade at 70B.

roadman65

US 31 at Kokomo, IN definitely qualifies as one until Indiana upgrades the rest of US 31 between Indy and South Bend.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alex4897

The US 13/50 bypass around Salisbury MD is one.
👉😎👉

bugo

The topic really should have been one that said "Isolated freeways that aren't bypasses" because there are literally hundreds of freeway bip-asses that don't connect to any other freeways.

AsphaltPlanet

In Ontario, near Sudbury, there are sections of both ON-17 and ON-69 that have freeway segments that do not connect to any other freeways.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.