Regional Boards > Canada

Alberta's Highways

<< < (4/18) > >>

Alps:

--- Quote from: oscar on December 14, 2013, 09:12:49 AM ---
--- Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 25, 2013, 12:04:57 PM ---35 up to NWT is the one to drive...

--- End quote ---

Only if you're really into boredom. 

The only thing that keeps AB 35 from being the most boring highway ever is that, if you're lucky, you'll see a train on its way to or from Hay River NWT.

--- End quote ---
Far from. I thoroughly enjoyed my trip up to, through, and down from NWT. I'm not bored by a landscape that vastly different than my own. Now, having to drive more than two days through the outback, that did become boring.

Chris:
The third bridge across the Athabasca River in Fort McMurray opened to traffic recently. The bridge has been expanded to 10 lanes. This would also make it Canada's northernmost freeway.

Highway 63 river bridges in Fort McMurray by Government of Alberta, on Flickr

Truvelo:
I assume the unusual layout in that last picture is because it was originally one bridge and the others have been added piecemeal. Quite why such a remote outpost needs a collector distributor system is beyond me when there are plenty of busier crossings that are crying out for such a luxury.

Brandon:

--- Quote from: Truvelo on December 16, 2013, 04:38:17 PM ---I assume the unusual layout in that last picture is because it was originally one bridge and the others have been added piecemeal. Quite why such a remote outpost needs a collector distributor system is beyond me when there are plenty of busier crossings that are crying out for such a luxury.

--- End quote ---

The far left bridge, from Google Maps, is a truss bridge.  I'm guessing that was the first bridge here.  The middle one is the second bridge, added later when the road was divided.  The third one is the new one.  My guess is that the setup is because of the need to have both freeway and local traffic crossing the only bridge in the area.

dmuzika:
Fort McMurray has a bit of an interesting layout that result in major traffic issues.  There's only one highway (Hwy 63) that goes south and connects Fort McMurray to the rest of the world; it's central business area is located south of the Athabasca River while the majority if its residential area and the Oilsands plants (main employment area) are located north of the river.  With Oilsands plant development, there are a lot of oversized loads that come from the south going north where police have to close traffic and they preveously used the middle bridge.  There are a lot of non-resident workers to there is a lot more traffic than it's population would indicate.

A friend of mine used to work & live in Fort McMurrey.  He told me that there were stores that were located on the north side of the river that were charging more than the southside stores simply because of the convenience of not fighting traffic on Hwy 63.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version