News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The Wildfires thread

Started by bing101, September 08, 2022, 10:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

triplemultiplex

Been getting smoked out bad last couple days in the upper Midwest.  Seems hazy just looking across the street.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

JayhawkCO

First of any size in Colorado this year sparked up this weekend south of Parachute. https://www.denverpost.com/2023/06/27/spring-creek-colorado-fire-burning-white-river-national-forest/

Not sure if that article can be previewed by non-subscribers or not as I am one.

ET21

Been terrible across Chicagoland, the city was ranked the worst AQI multiple times in the last 48-72 hrs. We're hopefully gonna get some rain/wind that should disperse the smoke today/tonight.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Dough4872

Getting more Canadian wildfire smoke here in Pennsylvania, hazy skies and air quality alert but nowhere near as bad as earlier this month.

Rothman

Quote from: Dough4872 on June 29, 2023, 04:23:42 PM
Getting more Canadian wildfire smoke here in Pennsylvania, hazy skies and air quality alert but nowhere near as bad as earlier this month.
Yep.  AQI got up to 175 here, whereas it got close to 500 with the last round.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bing101

bing101

bing101

Bruce

Sourdough Fire has closed SR 20 through North Cascades National Park (and beyond). I went up there Friday and got quite the view from a trail:

bing101

Max Rockatansky

Laihaina was basically destroyed.  That was the capital of the Kingdom of Hawaii circa 1802-1845.

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 09, 2023, 06:55:54 PM
Laihaina was basically destroyed.  That was the capital of the Kingdom of Hawaii circa 1802-1845.
Oof.  Wonder if their banyan tree survived.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: bing101 on August 09, 2023, 06:49:35 PM
https://apnews.com/article/hawaii-wildfire-maui-dora-winds-ec23c16abfbeb6ba689f1a98263720db
Update Hawaii is reporting a wildfire in Maui so far 6 people are reported killed in this fire.
https://abc7.com/hawaii-wildfires-strong-winds-maui/13622866/

Sounds like a hurricane to the south and a huge high pressure system to the north at the perfect distance apart created a massive wind tunnel right over Hawaii.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on August 09, 2023, 07:10:47 PM

Didn't look optimistic, there is heavy smoke just inland from Laihaina Harbor visible in the first 10 seconds of the second video in this article:

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2023/08/09/coast-guard-joins-brush-fire-response-lahaina-where-crews-continue-battle-wind-whipped-flames/

gonealookin

That Maui scene is awful.  On the mainland, we can send equipment and personnel to assist from hundreds of miles away and have them on scene in 8, 12, 16, whatever hours.  In Hawaii, they can put crews on airplanes and move them between islands, but as to equipment, Maui has what it has to work with and anything else is going to arrive too late to make a difference.

jakeroot

Quote from: Rothman on August 09, 2023, 07:10:47 PM

It is still standing; whether it survives I do not know (see 1:24 in the video below)...

https://twitter.com/justin_hart/status/1689388982449352707

More footage. I can see how the death toll is 36 as of writing; seems like almost nothing has been left standing. Just unthinkable devastation...

https://twitter.com/WxNB_/status/1689384898958917633

bing101

DriverDave

It must have hit a heavily populated residential area, the death toll was 6 yesterday.

Rothman

Quote from: DriverDave on August 10, 2023, 09:26:48 AM
It must have hit a heavily populated residential area, the death toll was 6 yesterday.
After hitting and destroying Lahaina, I'm sure it was just a lag due to needing time to confirm the deaths (i.e., did people get out and run off to somewhere safe while being unable to check in with others, or did they actually die?).

triplemultiplex

It's even worse than it looked yesterday.  The whole town is basically gone.  Just wow.
And just like Paradise, there are very limited evacuation routes, so I shudder thinking about the folks who got cut off from their only direction of escape.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Max Rockatansky

Maui County Route 340 lapping around the north side of Maui is largely one lane cliff roadway.  Undoubtedly that pushed most of the evacuation south on Hawaii Route 30 towards Kihei. 

bing101

I never thought of this one parts of Maui have conditions that resemble stuff that sounds like the Santa Ana Winds hitting the area.

Max Rockatansky

The winds around parts of Maui can be horrendous normally.  You have two volcanic peaks in close proximity which wreak havoc on the weather patterns.  This phenomenon with the fires was fueled more so by a hurricane passing close by. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.