News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

"Creepiest" Suburbs?

Started by CapeCodder, July 01, 2022, 11:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeCodder

My choices: Metro-west Boston. Seems like Stepford but on a much, much larger scale. Although not a suburb, but Cape Cod's been getting creepy in spots. As for the ultimate choice: The west county area of St. Louis.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Flint1979

Just about any city that butts up to Detroit.

kphoger

Define 'creepy' in this context.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CapeCodder

Quote from: kphoger on July 01, 2022, 11:45:36 PM
Define 'creepy' in this context.
To me it's the artificiality of everything contained within the boundaries. I avoid most low-hanging fruit, such as the inner ring suburbs. Take for example those middle to outer 'burbs that contain a large housing stock that tries hard to maintain a theme.

Max Rockatansky

Colma, California given the semi-spooky cemeteries can have a certain creep factor for some.  How many cities much less suburbs are founded as a Necropolis?  If I recall correctly the population of the dead is about 1,500,000 to about 1,500 living.

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 02, 2022, 12:15:01 AM
Colma, California given the semi-spooky cemeteries can have a certain creep factor for some.  How many cities much less suburbs are founded as a Necropolis?  If I recall correctly the population of the dead is about 1,500,000 to about 1,500 living.
"Glad to be alive in Colma"

Thought the living pop was a little higher than that.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SkyPesos

Road Hog

I saw the Stepford Wives (OG 1975 version) as a kid and didn't get it much when I saw it, but suburbia was much the same in the 1970s as it is today.

CapeCodder

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 02, 2022, 12:51:32 AM
St Louis North County

Which part? I'd nominate Wellston because of how much has vanished.

kevinb1994

Anywhere south/west of the inner-ring neighborhoods of Jacksonville (via I-10 and Roosevelt and Blanding Boulevards). Has to be within Duval and maybe Baker County. Don't know if anywhere in Columbia County qualifies, OTOH.

SectorZ

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SectorZ on July 02, 2022, 06:59:31 PM
Salem Massachusetts.

Just watch Hocus Pocus, that will fix that creepy factor for you. 

NWI_Irish96

Any suburb that's stuck in the 1950's with an entirely old, white school board that's afraid of kids being taught the truth about racism is creepy to me.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

JayhawkCO

SectorZ

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on July 02, 2022, 08:32:37 PM
Any suburb that's stuck in the 1950's with an entirely old, white school board that's afraid of kids being taught the truth about racism is creepy to me.

Stop.

hotdogPi

Quote from: SectorZ on July 03, 2022, 08:05:06 AM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on July 02, 2022, 08:32:37 PM

Stop.

No, this is a serious thing. It might not be as much the case here because Massachusetts has the #1 schools in the nation, but it's definitely the case in other parts of the country. Including claims that the Civil War wasn't about slavery. Even I, in Massachusetts, was taught in my earlier classes (before AP US History, when they told us the truth) that the relationships with Europeans and Native Americans during first contact and expansion of the colonies/US were better than they actually were.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

TheHighwayMan3561

I'll go another way: ultra rich, small suburbs where they know by social appearance who's not from there.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

amroad17

Avon Lake, OH.

Nearly 20 years ago I had a delivery to the Ford plant in Avon Lake.  I had my wife and kids with me on this run, however, I was not sure that I could have them accompany me onto the plant grounds.  So, I dropped them off at a nice shopping center in Avon Lake.  I completed the delivery and drove back to them.  When my wife got into the truck, she said that she was creeped out by the area.  She said that there was plenty of activity going on, then at 8 pm (it was summertime) it was like everything stopped.  She and the kids were practically alone.  She said that the cars stopped driving by and things got real quiet--there weren't any birds chirping either.  It really unnerved her and the kids, not to the point where they were fearing for their life, but it was just something they did not expect.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Bruce

Medina, WA is pretty open about their surveillance camera network and general hostility to outsiders. No wonder they're home to several of the world's richest people.

skluth

Quote from: CapeCodder on July 02, 2022, 04:29:22 AM
Quote from: SkyPesos on July 02, 2022, 12:51:32 AM
St Louis North County

Which part? I'd nominate Wellston because of how much has vanished.

I left STL four years ago so my opinion is dated. St Louis definitely has its share of creepy suburbs. IMO, Pine Lawn to the north is creepier than Wellston (though not by much) and the creepiest on the Missouri side is Kinloch. I'd say the creepiest St Louis burb is Fairmont City across the river. Brooklyn is also pretty creepy.

US 89

Whatever is right off I-70 about halfway between downtown STL and the airport definitely gave me the creeps when I exited there for gas several years ago.

GCrites

Powell, Ohio. Tries to be kitschy but fails due to trying too hard and lacking the substance that its neighboring competitors Dublin, Worthington and Westerville all have in their cores.

golden eagle

Madison, MS. Stepford Wives-ish.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.