News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Pa.-N.J. bridge toll hikes delayed

Started by Alex, December 10, 2009, 11:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Pa.-N.J. bridge toll hikes delayed

QuoteCAMDEN, N.J. – The Delaware River Port Authority gave motorists a 10-month reprieve Wednesday by postponing a toll hike on its four bridges until July 2011.

Instead of raising tolls for passenger cars from $4 to $5 in September 2010, as planned, the new rate will kick in July 2011.

Alex

DRPA may delay bridge toll hike

PENNSAUKEN, N.J. – After two hours of heated debate, the Delaware River Port Authority agreed Wednesday to refer a resolution to postpone a $1 increase in bridge tools to its finance committee.

In what was clearly a move to quell negative publicity about its spending habits, the board also agreed to apply the $1.9 million remaining in a so-called special projects fund to the bistate authority's $1.4 billion in debt.

Chairman John Estey said he supported the resolution to close out the fund because "it has no real use."

About 35 members of the public attended the board meeting at the Camden County Boat House on Park Drive. This is believed to be the first regular board meeting conducted at night in South Jersey.

Pennsylvania member John Dougherty introduced a controversial resolution to postpone a toll increase that is slated to take effect in July for one year. The authority could afford to wait, he said, because it was sitting on an estimated $50 million in unspent economic development funds.

At the meeting the Authority produced a list of economic projects dating back to February 2001 that totaled $98 million. Of that amount, $52 million remains unspent or in reserve.

How much of the reserve is contractually obligated to projects was the subject of interminable debate. CEO John Matheussen said the best number based on current information is $24,291 million.

Dougherty accepted the new number and proposed that the reserve be used to defer the toll hike for six months, but the vote failed.

When Dougherty spoke about the board's failure to do the right thing or its lack of empathy for commuters who are struggling financially, the crowd cheered.

As a compromise, the board voted unanimously to remove $1.8 million from discretionary spending and apply it to debt service.

Vice Chairman Jeffrey Nash, who has been on the board since 2002 and has been responsible for selecting many of the projects in South Jersey to receive DRPA funding, said he supports postponing a toll increase and a PATCO fare increase which is scheduled to take effect in January, but in a "responsible manner."

The lion's share of the unspent funds on DRPA's list are for South Jersey projects.

Nash said he believed Gov. Chris Christie would support postponing the increases if the decision does not cost the authority more money in the long run.

Chief Financial Officer John Hanson said rating agencies could take a dim view of the board's decision to postpone the toll increase. At the same time, those agencies would be "glad to see the authority paying down debt."

"Nobody really knows how the rating agencies will react, but there is a risk. They believe DRPA will do what's politically expedient, rather than protect the bond holders," said Hanson.

SteveG1988

Meanwhile... the Burlington County Bridge Commission has announced no toll hike, It has not raised tolls from the current two dollars in ten years.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

mightyace

^^^

Do you know if the Burlington-Bristol bridge has gotten more traffic that can be directly attributed to the lack of toll hikes?
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

SteveG1988

The bristol bridge probably has not had any issues like that, due to the proximity of the NJ turnpike bridge that probably absorbs the overflow. The tacony bridge probably has higher traffic counts now.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Alex

Tolls go up $1 this week on bridges between Philly, NJ

QuoteThe Delaware River Port Authority toll increase to $5 will take effect Friday.

The $1 toll increase will apply to cars on the Commodore Barry, Walt Whitman, Ben Franklin and Betsy Ross Bridges.

After July, only senior citizens will retain their discounts.

PATCO fares will increase 10 percent Friday as well, with a one way fare from the farthest distance in New Jersey to Philadelphia costing $3, a 30 cent increase.

Information on PATCO fares can be found on PATCO's website at http://www.ridepatco.org

PAHighways

It's going to cost more come July 1 to cross the Delaware:  http://www.drjtbc.org/default.aspx?pageid=2282.

Alps

Quote from: PAHighways on June 27, 2011, 11:01:38 PM
It's going to cost more come July 1 to cross the Delaware anywhere (except at the Scudder Falls Bridge):  http://www.drjtbc.org/default.aspx?pageid=2282.
If by "anywhere" you mean US 1, US 202, I-78, US 22, I-80, or US 206. Dingmans Ferry stays the same and there are plenty of free crossings besides Scudders Falls - and then two different agencies not raising rates south of Trenton.

Roadgeek Adam

Dingmans doesn't count, since that's still private. Of course they would choose the weekend that we drag the trailer camping to raise the fares. How fun.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on June 28, 2011, 12:35:32 AM
Dingmans doesn't count, since that's still private. Of course they would choose the weekend that we drag the trailer camping to raise the fares. How fun.
You're saying it doesn't count as "crossing the Delaware anywhere?"

SteveG1988

Effective  1 July 2011 The DRPA Bridges are 5 dollars, that is the (from south to north) commodore barry,walt whitman, ben franklin, and the betsy ross bridge. the DRBA Has raised the toll on the delaware memorial bridge to 4 dollars. All other bridges are the same

Ref:

DRBA: http://www.drba.net/DelawareMemorialBridge/CurrentTolls.aspx

DRPA: http://www.drpa.org/commtrav/bridge_fares.html

Roads Clinched

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.