Regional Boards > Northeast

I-83 Improvements

(1/2) > >>

roadman65:
I see right now a big plan is underway to make I-83 more interstate than the pre interstate freeway of US 230 Bypass, itís former route before the Interstates came into play.

If you live in the area you have seen the replacements of both US 22 and Union Deposit Road overpasses to allow for more lanes on the freeway.  The original bridges looked like the Derry Street overpass over US 322 which were built for only four lanes, but now six lanes plus auxiliary lanes are needed for I-83. 

The project is in five phases as more is to come including possibly building a toll bridge in place of the South Bridge across the Susquehanna River instead of giving it a replacement out of tax dollars.  Then there are other widening concerns that will soon be addressed as well. 

My interest in it is what about the Eisenhower Interchange which I do not see as part of this as with a six lane I-83 through there would need a complete overhaul to handle the extra lanes.  Maybe itís included but not worth talking about, so that is why. Anyway glad to see PennDOT moving into the future instead of the past.

74/171FAN:
PennDOT - District 8 News: SB I-83 Traffic to be Placed in Final Configuration at Widening and Reconstruction Project Near Harrisburg

RevZimmerman:

--- Quote from: roadman65 on September 27, 2021, 09:33:34 AM ---I see right now a big plan is underway to make I-83 more interstate than the pre interstate freeway of US 230 Bypass, itís former route before the Interstates came into play.

If you live in the area you have seen the replacements of both US 22 and Union Deposit Road overpasses to allow for more lanes on the freeway.  The original bridges looked like the Derry Street overpass over US 322 which were built for only four lanes, but now six lanes plus auxiliary lanes are needed for I-83. 

The project is in five phases as more is to come including possibly building a toll bridge in place of the South Bridge across the Susquehanna River instead of giving it a replacement out of tax dollars.  Then there are other widening concerns that will soon be addressed as well. 

My interest in it is what about the Eisenhower Interchange which I do not see as part of this as with a six lane I-83 through there would need a complete overhaul to handle the extra lanes.  Maybe itís included but not worth talking about, so that is why. Anyway glad to see PennDOT moving into the future instead of the past.

--- End quote ---

The I-83 Beltway website [https://www.i-83beltway.com] has some information on the Eisenhower Interchange that will have to be redesigned and rebuilt as part of the larger project.

Some links below will be helpful:
https://www.i-83beltway.com/projects/east-shore-section-2.php  (That is the section of the project involving the Eisenhower Interchange.)

https://i-83beltway.com/docs/SR_0083_Section_078_Environmental_Assessment_Report_Appendices_November_2019.pdf  (In that document, look at Pages 12Ė21 for Eisenhower Interchange design that was being evaluated for environmental assessment.)

Roadsguy:
After the 2018 public meeting, they posted detailed diagrams of Section 2 and Section 3. There's also a revision to Section 3, particularly to the proposed alignments of Paxton Street and the 19th Street ramps.

roadman65:
Iíd like to know also why they didnít construct both US 22 and Union Deposit Roads into SPUIs? It could have easily been done when the overpasses were replaced.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version