AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 on: Today at 02:15:13 AM 
Started by tolbs17 - Last post by Scott5114
I generally prefer dogs, but one of our cats has really taken a liking to me in a way that I've never had a cat do, so I'm starting to like them both equally.

on: Today at 02:14:07 AM 
Started by mcarling - Last post by Bruce
The FHWA has revoked their FONSI, so a new environmental assessment has to be made.

https://www.opb.org/article/2022/01/19/feds-direct-odot-to-complete-new-environmental-assessment-for-i-5-rose-quarter-project/

For reference, the last approved plan is Hybrid 3:

on: Today at 02:00:13 AM 
Started by roadman65 - Last post by lepidopteran
Two other reasons I've heard.
  • Locating the wires above the tree line.  This is important, since a frequent cause of power outages in ice storms is heavy branches falling on the conductors.
  • Increased capacity.  Since new power line routes are typically subject to NIMBY opposition, the solution to greater power demands is often to upgrade the existing lines.  Higher voltages require more spacing out of the wires.  Sometimes, a double-circuit is installed where a single circuit used to be, or perhaps the new structures are build with a provision for future doubling.
Based on my own observation, it seems that for new construction nowadays, lattice structures are pretty much only used for 500kv and higher (maybe 345kv), and sometimes monopoles are used even then.

on: Today at 01:21:21 AM 
Started by tolbs17 - Last post by Scott5114
NOTE TO ALL: THIS THREAD IS NOT MEANT FOR TRYING TO DATE SOMEONE. PERIOD

9/4/1972
7/12/1976
9/19/1983
9/10/1984

For real, though, I don't think most people really have a "preference" about parts of another person's body unless they want to have sex with them. Hell, I don't even notice or care about most people's eye color. I know my wife's eye color, but I'm drawing a blank even trying to remember off-hand what my best friend's is.

For 54 electoral votes in the next Grand Alan election...what do the four dates given have in common?

on: Today at 01:04:25 AM 
Started by COLORADOrk - Last post by Scott5114
Hmm, which leads to the question...Do ZIP codes belonging to dead post offices get recycled?
28335 is used by a former Dunn PO, now it is merged with 28334. Old Post office was 28335 and the new one on Clinton Ave was 28334. Nevertheless, the PO in Dunn uses 28334/5 to maintain this.  :nod:

Not quite what I'm talking aboutóit sounds like the 28335 is simply being served out of a new post office building that also serves another zip. I'm talking about a situation where Bertville, zip 73271, has its button copy factory close down and the town loses enough population for the PO to close. Then later, a new suburb elsewhere in the state called Erniedale merits a PO for the first time, and they assign 73271 to it.

on: Today at 12:54:41 AM 
Started by tolbs17 - Last post by dlsterner
Sequence your DNA and post the results here.

on: Today at 12:50:04 AM 
Started by tolbs17 - Last post by Rick Powell
It's not new, but the Will Rogers Turnpike in OK is a fairly rare case of a rural 4 lane interstate (where land was probably cheap when it was built) being built on the narrowest footprint possible, including a concrete barrier median. Almost all rural interstates have a grass or earth median, except in mountainous areas or where they encounter a river where building directional bridges face-to-face makes economic sense.

on: Today at 12:42:55 AM 
Started by idk - Last post by Rick Powell
I am about 15 minutes driving time from either I-80 or I-39. Next nearest is I-55 at about 45 minutes.

on: Today at 12:25:28 AM 
Started by tolbs17 - Last post by Max Rockatansky
Dogs, I have three of them currently.  Iím open to owning a Cat but my wife isnít a fan of the idea.  Oddly she wants a Pot Belly Pig as some sort of alternative pet.  I should note that she did grow up in Firebaugh around farm/ranch everything.

on: Today at 12:15:09 AM 
Started by roadman65 - Last post by SD Mapman
I think this is pretty common in any city that is built on a grid plan where streets are expected to have a particular number or name based on where they are within that grid.  An example that comes to mind for me quickly is Phoenix.  There are many, many, many discontinuous segments of streets with the same name due to the fact that the name for any stretch of road is determined by its position with the grid.
Omaha, too. The road names downtown will just show up in some random dead-end subdivision 12 miles to the west and then disappear again.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.