News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Fútbol chatter

Started by mgk920, June 19, 2013, 11:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

If SKC gets through to the finals against Colorado, I guarantee you the stadium is filled with more KC fans than Rapids' fans.

Chris

Bruce

A home World Cup qualifier in Ohio against Mexico?

There was only way it could have ended. Long live Dos a Cero.

(Also, Mexico continues to play the dirtiest form of the sport and get all the leeway from referees.)

NWI_Irish96

CONCACAF absolutely get VAR into its competitions. If other countries can't afford it, then CONCACAF needs to provide it. My guess is that Luis Rodriguez doesn't even try to poke Aaronson in the eye if he knows VAR can review it.

In any case, with half the matches played, its' pretty clearly 4 teams for 3 spots + the playoff spot. I don't see any of the bottom four getting enough points to move up. US plays at Jamaica Sunday, and the best outcome for the US in the Canada-Mexico match in Edmonton is a draw.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

1995hoo

USA at Jamaica is Tuesday, FWIW, not Sunday.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Bruce

Canada moves to the top of the World Cup qualifying table with their 2-1 win over Mexico at the frigid Estadio Iceteca in Edmonton. The US draw in Jamaica, which is an acceptable result given how lucky the team was to get away with a favorable no-call goal.

Bruce

NBC has won the rights to the Premier League until 2028, at a cost of $2.7 billion.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2021/11/18/premier-league-broadcast-rights-nbc-usa-tv

Apparently the Fox-Amazon-Warner bid was higher, but the PL decided to go with the network they knew best.

thspfc

Quote from: Bruce on November 18, 2021, 07:40:34 PM
NBC has won the rights to the Premier League until 2028, at a cost of $2.7 billion.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2021/11/18/premier-league-broadcast-rights-nbc-usa-tv

Apparently the Fox-Amazon-Warner bid was higher, but the PL decided to go with the network they knew best.
I'd say this is good news. NBC's EPL coverage hasn't really blown me away over the last seven years, but they've at least made it a clear priority among their programming. I feel like ESPN would have shoved it way to the bottom of their totem pole, especially during the first third or so of the season when college football is also going on. With Fox it would be a power struggle between the EPL and MLS/USMNT.

Bruce

The MLS Cup Final is set for Saturday, December 11 at 12 Pacific / 3 Eastern.

The Portland Timbers are hosting New York City FC. The Timbers last won in 2015, while NYCFC only entered the league in 2015 and are playing in the final for the first time.

This is the seventh straight year where the Western Conference champion/cup participant is either Seattle or Portland. This year's playoffs didn't feature a single team from California or Texas, despite each having 3 teams and the playoffs featuring 7 of 13 teams in the conference. Pleasingly, they finished clumped together at the bottom by state:

Alps

Quote from: Bruce on December 07, 2021, 02:24:55 AM
The MLS Cup Final is set for Friday, December 11 at 3 Eastern / best time.
FTFY. Go NY!

Bruce

NYCFC win their first ever MLS Cup title.

This means they've won the league before the New York Red Bulls, who had a 19-year headstart.

https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/1469809040188268547

Alps

Quote from: Bruce on December 11, 2021, 06:52:07 PM
NYCFC win their first ever MLS Cup title.

This means they've won the league before the New York-New Jersey Metrostars, who had a 19-year headstart.
FTFY

Buck87

This year saw first time winners of both the MLS Cup and Supporters Shield.

Of the 27 teams currently in MLS, there have now been:

- 14 teams that have won an MLS Cup
- 13 teams that have won a Supporters Shield
- 19 teams that have won at least one of the two trophies
- 8 teams that have won both trophies
- 5 teams that have won both in the same season (2 of which have done it twice)

note: the total number of SS winners is actually 15, but two of those winners are defunct franchises

thspfc

New Zealand womens' national team defender manages to score three own goals in one match: https://youtube.com/watch?v=iCQy8nfbizQ

First one is an excellent cross and mistimed kick.

Second one is another excellent cross, but her positioning was bad, you never want to be running back towards your net while the ball is played in. And an awful header.

Third one is embarrassing.

1995hoo

Did she have to throw hats into the crowd?

Bruce

MLS has kicked off with its 27th season. Charlotte FC has joined as the 28th team and the new schedule means that the regular season should wrap up in early October, followed by an earlier playoffs to make room for the 2022 World Cup.

All of the goals for Week 1:

Bruce

The 2020 Canadian Championship Final, originally scheduled for September 2020, will finally be played on June 4 of this year.

That means the entire 2021 Canadian Championship and most of the 2022 edition will have been played before the 2020 edition had finished.

https://forgefc.canpl.ca/article/forge-fc-to-host-2020-canadian-championship-final-at-tim-hortons-field

Bruce

New MLS attendance record set by Charlotte FC in their home debut. 74,479 at Bank of America Stadium.

https://twitter.com/ashstro/status/1500277324545236995

Bruce

Canada have qualified for the 2022 FIFA World Cup, their second-ever berth (the first being 1986). John Herdman is now the first coach to bring a women's and men's team to their respective World Cups.

https://twitter.com/FIFAcom/status/1508224429121482755

The United States can qualify tonight with a win against Panama AND Costa Rica's draw/loss to El Salvador.

Big John

^^ Costa Rica won and US is up 4-0 at Half Time.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Big John on March 27, 2022, 08:07:12 PM
^^ Costa Rica won and US is up 4-0 at Half Time.

As it stands now, Costa Rica would have to beat the US by 5 goals Wednesday to keep the US from qualifying directly and even then they'd be in the playoff against probably New Zealand.

1995hoo

So with the final score of 5—1 tonight, the US goal differential is +13 and Costa Rica's is +3. So Costa Rica need to win by six to send the US to the playoff–they'd be at +9 and the US would be at +7. If Costa Rica were to win by five, both teams would be at +8, so you go to the second tiebreaker, which is goals scored. The US have 21 and Costa Rica have 11, so in that scenario the US would qualify and Costa Rica would head to the playoff.

I can't tell which channel is airing this game. YouTube TV lists both NBC Universo (Spanish) and CBS Sports Network, but most other sources say the CBS English feed will only be on Paramount+.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 27, 2022, 09:59:15 PM
So with the final score of 5—1 tonight, the US goal differential is +13 and Costa Rica's is +3. So Costa Rica need to win by six to send the US to the playoff–they'd be at +9 and the US would be at +7. If Costa Rica were to win by five, both teams would be at +8, so you go to the second tiebreaker, which is goals scored. The US have 21 and Costa Rica have 11, so in that scenario the US would qualify and Costa Rica would head to the playoff.

I can't tell which channel is airing this game. YouTube TV lists both NBC Universo (Spanish) and CBS Sports Network, but most other sources say the CBS English feed will only be on Paramount+.

I think the English feed is only on Paramount+. The game at Mexico was the only one they showed on CBSSN.

1995hoo

As long as I can watch it without subscribing to another service, I don't much care which language it is. I suppose it bugs me more that it's a US network shunting it off to their pay service–in past years, FIFA's rule that the home country controls the foreign TV rights for a given game has meant US games landing on channels like beIN Sports and some other weird ones. That's a pain, but it's life. A domestic network pulling a stunt like this is sort of like a middle-finger gesture to viewers. They think it'll get them more subscribers because people will sign up and then not cancel, but that seems questionable.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 27, 2022, 10:24:24 PM
As long as I can watch it without subscribing to another service, I don't much care which language it is. I suppose it bugs me more that it's a US network shunting it off to their pay service–in past years, FIFA's rule that the home country controls the foreign TV rights for a given game has meant US games landing on channels like beIN Sports and some other weird ones. That's a pain, but it's life. A domestic network pulling a stunt like this is sort of like a middle-finger gesture to viewers. They think it'll get them more subscribers because people will sign up and then not cancel, but that seems questionable.

Champions League and Europa league games all the way up through the quarterfinals are also on Paramount+ so a large number of soccer fans in the US already subscribe.

I ended up going ahead and getting it because in addition to the soccer, they have a couple new Star Trek series that I like. Before that, I ended up watching most of the US away matches on Spanish language stations.

Bruce

I'm just glad to be beyond the days of relying on BeIn Sports for away qualifiers. The clearly-remote-recorded commentary was painful to listen to, at least some of the Paramount+ commentators are on-site or with no noticeable audio delay.

The new TV contract for U.S. Soccer (2023 to 2030) will have all home qualifiers (only applicable to the women's team and 2029 for the men), all friendlies, and U.S.-organized tournaments (such as the SheBelieves Cup) on TNT, TBS, and HBO Max. The World Cup will remain on Fox for the next cycle, as will the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

The new MLS contract is also set to take effect in 2023 and is being shopped around to a few networks, rumored to be Turner Sports and ESPN. These would include streaming rights for all local broadcasts too, which would be helpful for some markets but worse than the status quo for others; my dear Sounders have their local matches on Amazon Prime Video and it's worked out decently well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.