News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom

Started by The Nature Boy, November 28, 2015, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kphoger on April 21, 2022, 09:27:58 AM
Quote from: kurumi on April 20, 2022, 08:29:08 PM
And (though this seems familiar, probably noted before), Felt is closer to Denver and Santa Fe than to its own capital city.

That doesn't seem to "defy conventional wisdom" to me at all, considering I grew up in a Kansas town that's more than 100 miles closer to Denver than Topeka.

Along those lines, though...
Jackson, WY:  closer to Boise, Salt Lake City, or Helena than it is to Cheyenne.

Indianapolis is my closest state capital, but three others are all < 40 miles farther.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on April 21, 2022, 09:27:58 AM
Along those lines, though...
Jackson, WY:  closer to Boise, Salt Lake City, or Helena than it is to Cheyenne.

I imagine there's lots of these in Wyoming, considering that Cheyenne is unusually off-center for a state capital. (Not to imply that state capitals are usually in the dead center of the state like my own is, but they're also not usually down in an extreme corner of the state like Cheyenne is.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JayhawkCO

Vegas is considerably closer to Phoenix than Carson City if we're looking at bigger cities.

Takumi

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 21, 2022, 06:46:54 PM
(Not to imply that state capitals are usually in the dead center of the state like my own is, but they're also not usually down in an extreme corner of the state like Cheyenne is.)
Imagine if Williamsburg was still Virginia's capital. Richmond is a bit off-center, but Williamsburg is a bit more conspicuously so. With Virginia's geographical center being in the absolute middle of nowhere in Buckingham County, a place like Appomattox or Scottsville or even Charlottesville (cue rage from those who have spent years in Blacksburg) would be closer to that.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kphoger

Our nation's capital is rather off-center, isn't it?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on April 21, 2022, 08:46:23 PM

I remember reading an Andy Rooney essay where he advocated moving the national capital to Lebanon, Kansas, not just because it would then be in the center of the country, but also so that, like anyone does when they move, the government would be forced to go through all of the junk it's accumulated over the past 200 years and get rid of a lot of it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

It's pretty central on a north/south axis... but not even close on an east/west axis.

Kansas City would be pretty good location if the capital were to ever move.

tchafe1978

Quote from: webny99 on April 21, 2022, 08:58:37 PM

It's pretty central on a north/south axis... but not even close on an east/west axis.

It was fairly centrally located when the country was founded and the site of the capital was selected, however.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: jlam on October 17, 2021, 10:16:47 AM
Quote from: US 89 on October 16, 2021, 12:30:26 AM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on October 15, 2021, 01:33:44 PM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on October 15, 2021, 12:51:18 PM
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on October 14, 2021, 10:36:42 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on October 13, 2021, 07:57:02 PM

Baltimore is not in Baltimore County.

When looking up transportation maps in Georgia, I found to great confusion that Macon is not in Macon County.

And Richmond, Virginia isn't in Richmond County.

But Baltimore isn't in Baltimore County because it's an independent city that is surrounded by Baltimore County.

Yeah, that's the point.  In Texas there numerous cities that are not in their namesake counties, but it's a naming issue which is a different case.  The Baltimore thing is one of the few instances that I can think of where the namesake county is just outside the city because the city was basically carved out of the county.  Different than a consolidated city/county like St. Louis and Denver.

St Louis is exactly the same thing as Baltimore. In 1877 the city of St Louis seceded from St Louis County to become an independent city.
Denver has two independent cities (Denver and Broomfield, the latter becoming independent in 2001), but none seceded from a county of the same name.

Broomfield was a hot mess before they became their own county. There was a little sliver of it, that had to go to Greeley to register cars etc, because it was in Weld County. Aurora keeps trying to do the same thing since it's in 2 or 3 different counties.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

JayhawkCO

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on April 21, 2022, 09:18:48 PM
Aurora keeps trying to do the same thing since it's in 2 or 3 different counties.

Adams, Arapahoe, and Douglas for the record.

oscar

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 21, 2022, 08:51:27 PM

I remember reading an Andy Rooney essay where he advocated moving the national capital to Lebanon, Kansas, not just because it would then be in the center of the country, but also so that, like anyone does when they move, the government would be forced to go through all of the junk it's accumulated over the past 200 years and get rid of a lot of it.

President Trump tried a super-small beer version of that, moving a small office in the Agriculture Department to Kansas City, expecting that the office could downsize, especially since some employees would quit rather than make the move (for sensible reasons, such as spouses who worked in other Federal jobs that couldn't move to KC).

This was done so late in the President's term that, IIRC, it didn't stick with the change of administrations, though still with some heartburn among the affected employees.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: oscar on April 21, 2022, 10:01:39 PM

President Trump tried a super-small beer version of that, moving a small office in the Agriculture Department to Kansas City, expecting that the office could downsize, especially since some employees would quit rather than make the move (for sensible reasons, such as spouses who worked in other Federal jobs that couldn't move to KC).

This was done so late in the President's term that, IIRC, it didn't stick with the change of administrations, though still with some heartburn among the affected employees.

The Bureau of Land Management was also temporarily relocated to Grand Junction, CO, which was also reversed after the turnover.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: US 89 on April 21, 2022, 12:56:11 AM
I spent a good several hours in Cimarron County last spring. Went to two of those tripoints and hiked Black Mesa, the highest point in Oklahoma (which, perhaps unsurprisingly, is almost on the New Mexico border). It's a fascinating world out there - extremely remote and with terrain you wouldn't normally associate with Oklahoma. Boise City has something like two gas stations, the well known county courthouse roundabout, and not much else.

So did I last summer, and saw all three tri points in one day. It took way longer than I thought.

empirestate

Denver is already essentially the capital of the West. It even feels a bit like DC in spots.

Bruce

Quote from: empirestate on April 22, 2022, 01:08:29 AM

Denver is already essentially the capital of the West. It even feels a bit like DC in spots.

For the Mountain West, maybe. Certainly not for the West Coast.

Rothman

Quote from: Bruce on April 22, 2022, 01:55:13 AM
Quote from: empirestate on April 22, 2022, 01:08:29 AM

For the Mountain West, maybe. Certainly not for the West Coast.
Denver feels a world away from SLC.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 21, 2022, 10:05:13 PM

Quote from: oscar on April 21, 2022, 10:01:39 PM

The Bureau of Land Management was also temporarily relocated to Grand Junction, CO, which was also reversed after the turnover.

You've got to admit:  there's just something that feels right about an Ag office being in the Midwest, and about the BLM being west of the Front Range.

But now I'm wondering:  how often does this type of office relocation happen?  Never?  Occasionally?  Every few years?

It must have stunk for the people who had to relocate twice...
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on April 22, 2022, 06:35:21 AM

Grand Junction feels a world away from SLC.

Yay or nay?
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on April 22, 2022, 09:35:10 AM
Quote from: Rothman on April 22, 2022, 06:35:21 AM

Grand Junction feels a world away from SLC.

Yay or nay?

For that matter, SLC feels a world away from most of central and southern Utah.

webny99

I'd venture that Denver and SLC might not feel so far apart if they weren't 370 miles apart as the crow flies and over 500 miles apart by road.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on April 22, 2022, 09:34:00 AMBut now I'm wondering:  how often does this type of office relocation happen?  Never?  Occasionally?  Every few years?
Within the DMV?  At least once a lifetime, probably.  A friend of mine is a retired Air Force JAG, and in the 8ish years he was located in DC, he had to have had at least four different office spaces - one at the Pentagon, one at Andrews, one at Fort Meade, and one or two leased office spaces in NoVA.

From DC to another part of the country?  Well, doesn't it make the most sense to have, say, the USDA in DC when the head of the agency (the Secretary of Agriculture) is in DC, and their boss (the President) is in DC?

Quote from: kphoger on April 22, 2022, 09:34:00 AMIt must have stunk for the people who had to relocate twice...
I don't think anyone had to move at all.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on April 22, 2022, 09:48:38 AM
I'd venture that Denver and SLC might not feel so far apart if they weren't 370 miles apart as the crow flies and over 500 miles apart by road.

But I think it's more than that.  Earlier, I posited that GJ seems worlds away from SLC, yet it's less than a 300-mile drive.

I haven't spent a huge amount of time in that part of Colorado, though, so I may be wrong in my impression.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

I kind of feel like GJ is the edge of Colorado World™, Fruita is in the borderlands, the Toontown wall is somewhere near Mack, and nothing exists west of mile marker 8.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on April 22, 2022, 10:02:00 AM
I kind of feel like GJ is the edge of Colorado World™, Fruita is in the borderlands, the Toontown wall is somewhere near Mack, and nothing exists west of mile marker 8.

Even GJ feels miles apart from Denver. Basically anything west of Glenwood Springs and north of Montrose has a completely different feel, with the exception of the Grand Mesa and surrounds.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on April 22, 2022, 09:55:16 AM
Quote from: webny99 on April 22, 2022, 09:48:38 AM

But I think it's more than that.  Earlier, I posited that GJ seems worlds away from SLC, yet it's less than a 300-mile drive.

I haven't spent a huge amount of time in that part of Colorado, though, so I may be wrong in my impression.

I don't know, I don't doubt that's true, but it seems like it would also be true of many 300-mile drives. 

Re-reading my post, I can see how it reads like "they're just really far apart", but I was actually meaning to emphasize the difference between the physical distance and the road distance. In other words, would it still feel like such a long distance if there was a direct interstate connection between the two?

There's also the fact that the largest mountain range on the continent lies primarily between those two cities, so it's bound to feel a little different one on side than it does on the other. That doesn't explain Grand Junction, but then again, one could probably make a case that GJ seems worlds away from Denver, too (edit: but don't take it from me  ↓  :))

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 22, 2022, 10:04:10 AM
Even GJ feels miles apart from Denver.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.