News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highway viewing vantage points

Started by briantroutman, April 17, 2018, 03:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

briantroutman

I don't know if I'm alone in this regard, but I've always enjoyed casually sitting back and watching (and listening to) broad expanses of highways–similarly to the way you might sit on a beach and watch the waves coming in while you read a book or have a picnic. But good highway viewing vantage points, particularly ones that are publicly accessible, seem to be hard to find.

About ten years ago, I had an apartment on the top floor of a building overlooking the Union Deposit Road interchange on I-83 in Harrisburg, and it offered a tremendous view of the interchange area and an accompanying soundtrack I could turn on anytime just by opening the sliding balcony door. However in recent years, the trees have grown taller to the point that there's probably no view during the foliage months at all. Notice in this view from 2011, the top of the building is just barely visible above the trees, and in the same point in 2017, the building isn't visible at all.

In my hometown, there is public road leading to a quarry (appropriately named Quarry Road), that offers a pretty broad view of I-180 and the ramps of Exit 23A. Here's a Street View, although it's taken from the opposite side of the road and doesn't do justice to the view of I-180 that you get from there: https://goo.gl/maps/4et6uLdTSrK2 Like the Harrisburg example, this view is slowly being chipped away by growing trees and brush, although much more slightly and more slowly.

Overpasses often afford great views, but they're usually spoiled by not offering anywhere to pull over. For example, this rural overpass offers a nice view of the Kittatinny Mountain Tunnel and the PA Turnpike traffic passing by, but there's no shoulder on the overpass itself, nowhere to park with a view, and I think you'd be more likely to be hassled by police hanging out on an overpass for no specific reason.

What about the rest of you–have you discovered any places where you can stop and enjoy a good view of a highway? You can share examples of private places like residences, but publicly accessible spots would be better (since the rest of us might have a chance to visit them).

Rick1962

One came to mind right away, the dead end of N. Frisco Ave. off Easton St. in Tulsa. The cul-de-sac is above the NW corner of the downtown loop, and has great views of the interchange, as well as downtown Tulsa. It's a short street, less than a block, and the only building on it is Fire Station No. 2.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.160455,-96.0018573,3a,75y,142.41h,82.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1saDlVyNjAn2mktVKo015hpg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

AsphaltPlanet

I like viewing highways from overpasses as well, and have amassed a large collection of photographs taken from overpasses.  A nitpick about a lot of US overpasses is that the fencing that is used often doesn't allow a photographer to take a photo through it with anything larger than a smartphone.  That fencing ruins some great viewpoints in my opinion.

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/CA/I/405/I405_CA_cl_62_north_NB_Apr17_24x16.jpg

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_11_images/11_cl_289-5_north_Jun12_24x16.jpg
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

froggie

Quote from: AsphaltPlanetI like viewing highways from overpasses as well, and have amassed a large collection of photographs taken from overpasses.  A nitpick about a lot of US overpasses is that the fencing that is used often doesn't allow a photographer to take a photo through it with anything larger than a smartphone.  That fencing ruins some great viewpoints in my opinion.

You can thank a combination of stupid kids throwing rocks off overpasses (sometimes killing vehicle occupants) and others who jump off of overpasses in an attempt to commit suicide (and occasionally succeeding) for the fencing.

briantroutman

Quote from: Rick1962 on April 17, 2018, 03:49:26 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.160455,-96.0018573,3a,75y,142.41h,82.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1saDlVyNjAn2mktVKo015hpg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Great spot–with a nice view of downtown, too.

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on April 17, 2018, 04:00:43 PM
I like viewing highways from overpasses as well, and have amassed a large collection of photographs taken from overpasses.

Overpasses are generally good for a quick view or photo opportunity (excepting the fencing issue, as you mentioned), but getting back to the scenario in my original post, they're really not conducive to "hanging out"  for a while. Everyone's different, but personally, I wouldn't want to set up a folding chair on the sidewalk of Mulholland Drive to read a book or have a picnic.

Now the Ontario example you posted looks more promising. Obviously, that's a photo of ON 11 at this point, but where were you–at the dead end of Mill Road? That's the kind of place I would want to check out.

TheHighwayMan3561

Duluth's Rose Garden situated on top of one of the I-35 tunnels offers a great view of some of the final stretch of I-35 leading to its northern terminus where it emerges from the final portal.

The original garden was removed during the I-35 tunnel project; MnDOT provided space for a new garden to be built on top of the freeway that was three times larger than the old one.

Indeed this is one of my favorite spots in all of Duluth.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Bruce

The best way to see a freeway is from a tall office building. A better view, but none of the noise and none of noxious fumes.

Interstate 5 in Seattle at night by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Beltway

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Max Rockatansky

Always dug looking cars trying to ascend.descend the Merced River Canyon on CA 49 just north of Bear Valley:

IMG_1168 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

kurumi

Office building beats a helicopter for stability, but there's no skyscraper at 101/280

US 101 at I-280, San Francisco by therealkurumi, on Flickr
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

sparker

Speaking of S.F. views -- back in the early '80's I worked with a fellow whose wife was a Navy JAG officer stationed on Treasure Island -- and they had an on-base home on Yerba Buena Island directly above the west Bay Bridge tunnel portal.  It was about level with the center truss of the bridge suspension towers; you could sit on their front porch and look directly through the four towers and, of course, with the WB I-80 lanes in full view below.  Unfortunately, she was transferred to D.C. early in '82, so they had to give up the house with the view, eventually moving to Laurel, MD. -- ironically to a house on a hill overlooking the Baltimore-Washington Parkway near the MD 197 interchange.  We still keep in touch -- they were in the Yerba Buena house for about 5 years and recall that spectacular view quite fondly! 

WillWeaverRVA

I used to work in the James Monroe Building in Richmond, VA, and it has a large outdoor mezzanine area that offers some pretty nice views of I-95, including the interchanges with US 250 and VA 195.

Quote from: Beltway on April 17, 2018, 11:39:51 PM
VA-5 east of Richmond, looking toward the downtown --
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5037606,-77.4103775,3a,30y,326.97h,93.89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slQ7CfYoGqlj5nO-UDNKYJQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Speaking of VA 5, I kind of like the view of VA 5/US 60 headed into Shockoe Bottom:
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: froggie on April 17, 2018, 05:15:24 PM
Quote from: AsphaltPlanetI like viewing highways from overpasses as well, and have amassed a large collection of photographs taken from overpasses.  A nitpick about a lot of US overpasses is that the fencing that is used often doesn't allow a photographer to take a photo through it with anything larger than a smartphone.  That fencing ruins some great viewpoints in my opinion.

You can thank a combination of stupid kids throwing rocks off overpasses (sometimes killing vehicle occupants) and others who jump off of overpasses in an attempt to commit suicide (and occasionally succeeding) for the fencing.

Sure... but considering all the ways that Americans can still injure themselves or each other, do you really think it was necessary or effective to fence practically every overpass in the country?
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: briantroutman on April 17, 2018, 06:01:31 PM
Quote from: Rick1962 on April 17, 2018, 03:49:26 PM

Great spot—with a nice view of downtown, too.

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on April 17, 2018, 04:00:43 PM
I like viewing highways from overpasses as well, and have amassed a large collection of photographs taken from overpasses.

Overpasses are generally good for a quick view or photo opportunity (excepting the fencing issue, as you mentioned), but getting back to the scenario in my original post, they’re really not conducive to “hanging out” for a while. Everyone’s different, but personally, I wouldn’t want to set up a folding chair on the sidewalk of Mulholland Drive to read a book or have a picnic.

Now the Ontario example you posted looks more promising. Obviously, that’s a photo of ON 11 at this point, but where were you—at the dead end of Mill Road? That’s the kind of place I would want to check out.

I actually just walked up the rock cut from the interchange south from Highway 124.  But there are other locations that are more accessible like that in this area.

I agree with your premise though, I enjoy watching the world go by on the highway as well.  As much as I have been on many overpasses, it would freak passing motorists below to just sit on an overpass and watch the world go by, even if there was a shoulder or something to park on.

For a few years I lived in Hamilton, ON, and there was a great vantage point of Highway 6 going down the Niagara Escarpment where you could sit on a rock outcrop just off the Bruce Trail and watch the world go by with the city in the background.  It's been a few years since I have been out that way.

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_3-9_images/6_cl_79-5_south_Aug09_lg.jpg

Henry

Go to any overpass that spans the Dan Ryan (looking north/westbound), Kennedy (looking south/eastbound) or Eisenhower Expressway (looking eastbound), and you'll be guaranteed an awesome view of both the expressway and the Chicago skyline simultaneously. That is, unless there's fog or snow to obscure your view.

Dan Ryan:

Kennedy:

Eisenhower:
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Beltway

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on April 18, 2018, 09:11:21 AM
I used to work in the James Monroe Building in Richmond, VA, and it has a large outdoor mezzanine area that offers some pretty nice views of I-95, including the interchanges with US 250 and VA 195.

I was working there in 1997 when I took these photos --
http://www.roadstothefuture.com/Richmond_Aerial.html
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

briantroutman

Some great examples here!

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 17, 2018, 09:54:29 PM
Duluth's Rose Garden situated on top of one of the I-35 tunnels offers a great view of some of the final stretch of I-35 leading to its northern terminus where it emerges from the final portal.

I like the little promontory point MnDOT provided at the far eastern edge–almost as if they expected people would want to look out at I-35 (which, of course, I would). I noticed this VR panorama on GSV that shows the view of I-35. Definitely something I'll want to check out whenever I finally make it to Duluth.

Quote from: Rothman on April 17, 2018, 09:56:51 PM
From my office:

I-87 just north of NY 5, right?

Quote from: Bruce on April 17, 2018, 11:13:07 PM
The best way to see a freeway is from a tall office building. A better view, but none of the noise and none of noxious fumes.

I don't think anyone wants to listen to ear-shattering jackhammers or a constant cacophony of horns blaring, but for me anyway, the constant, echoing sound of cars driving off into infinity is an attraction, not a nuisance. Admittedly, the noise levels are likely more bearable and serene in a suburban/rural setting than in an urban center.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 17, 2018, 11:55:13 PM
Always dug looking cars trying to ascend.descend the Merced River Canyon on CA 49 just north of Bear Valley:

I recall a couple of spots like that in the Headlands that I'd visit when I lived in Marin–although not as dramatic.

Quote from: kurumi on April 18, 2018, 01:44:49 AM
Office building beats a helicopter for stability, but there's no skyscraper at 101/280

Well, if you're sitting stationary in a helicopter for a couple of hours as you while away a lazy afternoon, you have some rather deep pockets!

Quote from: sparker on April 18, 2018, 05:59:43 AM
...they had an on-base home on Yerba Buena Island directly above the west Bay Bridge tunnel portal.

Are you talking about one of the homes on Forest Road here? It looks like the trees have grown taller to the point that the view is probably gone. But I assume based on your description that it was on-post housing owned by the government, so they couldn't have stayed even if they wanted. What a fantastic short-term gift but how terrible to have to give it up!

I used to work in the James Monroe Building in Richmond, VA, and it has a large outdoor mezzanine area that offers some pretty nice views of I-95...

Is it open to the public–or do you have to be an employee of one of the tenants? Looks like a fantastic view.

Quote from: Henry on April 18, 2018, 10:00:58 AM
Go to any overpass...

But again, while that might be fine to walk out and snap a few photos, it's not an inviting environment to hang out for a while. Great photos you got there, though.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: briantroutman on April 18, 2018, 02:23:26 PM
I used to work in the James Monroe Building in Richmond, VA, and it has a large outdoor mezzanine area that offers some pretty nice views of I-95...

Is it open to the public–or do you have to be an employee of one of the tenants? Looks like a fantastic view.

The building interior is not, but that mezzanine area is. Photographers go there all the time.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

roadman

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on April 18, 2018, 09:27:56 AM

Sure... but considering all the ways that Americans can still injure themselves or each other, do you really think it was necessary or effective to fence practically every overpass in the country?
Perhaps if people weren't so eager to sue the government when these sorts of things happen (and if we didn't have a "justice" system that makes it so easy for them to sue the government, we wouldn't have such an overreaction on the part of DOTs.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: roadman on April 18, 2018, 07:22:51 PM
Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on April 18, 2018, 09:27:56 AM

Perhaps if people weren't so eager to sue the government when these sorts of things happen (and if we didn't have a "justice" system that makes it so easy for them to sue the government, we wouldn't have such an overreaction on the part of DOTs.

Do you know where to find the specific case law that warranted that decision?

Flint1979

I have one I tried out last week. It's at the dead end of a road that use to just end there and an overpass took you over I-75. The overpass is no longer there though, the dead end is the dead end of Two Mile Road (actually Venoy Road since it's in Saginaw County) where it would meet Crane Road if the overpass was still there. It's at about mile marker 156-157 on I-75 in Michigan.

That was the first time I drove all the way to the dead end of the road since it became a dead end a couple of years ago. Google Maps has the roads in this area all messed up though, Crane Road dead ends on the west side of I-75 and does not go east of it, Freeland Road never resumes on the east side of I-75, Euclid Road is a dead end and Amelith Road ends at Two Mile.

briantroutman

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 19, 2018, 12:56:57 AM
I have one I tried out last week...the dead end of Two Mile Road (actually Venoy Road since it's in Saginaw County) where it would meet Crane Road if the overpass was still there.

I assume you're talking about this point marked by the guardrail and the line of short pine trees, right?

Flint1979

Quote from: briantroutman on April 19, 2018, 10:40:57 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on April 19, 2018, 12:56:57 AM
I have one I tried out last week...the dead end of Two Mile Road (actually Venoy Road since it's in Saginaw County) where it would meet Crane Road if the overpass was still there.

I assume you're talking about this point marked by the guardrail and the line of short pine trees, right?
Yes that would be it. Getting there you have to take Amelith Road and turn on Two Mile, it becomes a dirt road after a little ways back and then turns back into pavement before the dead end. The dirt road stretch starts where it says Freeland Road intersects with it which it does not, Freeland ends at N. Michigan on the other side of I-75. You can see the dead end of Crane Road from I-75 it's just a tad bit north and looking to the west from the vantage point you have with Google Maps.

jwolfer

My dad was in Baptist Hospital in Jacksonville several years ago. His room was on the 14th floor.  Great view of interstste 95 and the south downtown interchange with US 1, US 90 and i95.

There is an indoor pedestrian bridge over i95 from Baptist Hospital across the interstate to office buildings

Z981

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.