News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Alabama

Started by codyg1985, November 02, 2011, 07:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BamaZeus

I take 82 because there's less traffic.  65 has way too many shutdowns/construction zones to be efficient most of the time.  Yes, there are a slew of traffic lights on South Blvd. in Montgomery, but with the new peripheral road being built, ideally that will go away as well.

codyg1985

A joint venture between S.T. Bunn Construction and APAC-Mid South was the apparent low bidder for the widening of four miles of I-20/59 from southwest of Buttermilk Road (Exit 77) to east of US 11 (Exit 79) at the end of the current six-lane. The bid came in at $57.3 million. This inches the six lane portion closer to Tuscaloosa proper.

A low bid of $18.5 million from APAC Mid-South also came in for the base and pave along 8.9 miles of AL 24/Corridor V west of Russellville. This section will complete Corridor V in Alabama as it was originally planned.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

ShawnP

Was looking on the I-22/I-65 Interchange on Google maps and noticed a lot of trees down to the west of the Interchange. Was this from the 2011 Tornado's?

Alex

Quote from: ShawnP on September 06, 2013, 12:49:28 PM
Was looking on the I-22/I-65 Interchange on Google maps and noticed a lot of trees down to the west of the Interchange. Was this from the 2011 Tornado's?

Yes the one on April 27, 2011.

The tornado also did this to a high mast light fixtured:

codyg1985

The last remaining project to finish the Anniston Eastern Bypass is up for the September ALDOT letting. Internally, the road is known as AL 901. Looking at the signage plans for this project, the road will indeed be signed as AL 901, at least in the vicinity of the AL 21 interchange and where US 431 will turn off of it. Also of note, the signage plans also call for "hidden" AL 1 to be signed along side of US 431.

When completed, the bypass will feed directly into US 431 west of the US 431/AL 21 intersection.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Charles2

I wonder why Alabama is deviating from its previous practice of creating new state route numbers in cardinal order?  The three most recently designated routes that I know of have been 604 (unsigned in Lee County), 605 (status unknown in Houston County) and now 901.

formulanone

I was wondering about it too, I thought this was supposed to be a "county shield upgrade"-error, but apparently not:

Edit: Image location

Eth

Quote from: Charles2 on September 10, 2013, 08:37:22 PM
I wonder why Alabama is deviating from its previous practice of creating new state route numbers in cardinal order?  The three most recently designated routes that I know of have been 604 (unsigned in Lee County), 605 (status unknown in Houston County) and now 901.

Maybe Alabama has some kind of strange aversion to the 3xx, 4xx, and 5xx series. From what I can tell, every odd number up through 299 has been used (though even numbers as low as 214 are still available, so that wouldn't explain 604).

Was AL 605 formerly CR 203? I was just on that segment of US 231 back in December, but I don't recall seeing any mention of the state route.

Alps

Fun challenge: Name all of the states that adhere to numbering rules.

Answer: Hawaii.

NE2

Quote from: Steve on September 14, 2013, 12:26:47 AM

Wyoming? Not sure - does 89 fit? Is there a system for the routes not numbered by counties?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on September 14, 2013, 12:29:22 AM
Quote from: Steve on September 14, 2013, 12:26:47 AM

Wyoming? Not sure - does 89 fit? Is there a system for the routes not numbered by counties?
Does Wyoming have any exceptions to the rule?

NE2

Quote from: Steve on September 14, 2013, 12:53:27 AM
Does Wyoming have any exceptions to the rule?
I don't think the by-county routes do.

If you consider Alabama to have an actual rule that's being broken by 605, how about Georgia? I think everything there fits the "choose the next number" rule.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

froggie

QuoteFun challenge: Name all of the states that adhere to numbering rules.

Mississippi.

NE2

Quote from: froggie on September 14, 2013, 02:12:06 AM
Mississippi.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_state_highways_in_Mississippi#Exceptions_to_the_numbering_scheme says no.

But what rules does Hawaii have? Is it just first digit means island? Because that's a pretty weak rule. It wouldn't surprise me if they started out with more rules and gradually relaxed them when new routes were added, like basically every other state.

froggie

Leave it to you to find an exception to everything...

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on September 14, 2013, 02:37:00 AM
Mississippi.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_state_highways_in_Mississippi#Exceptions_to_the_numbering_scheme says no.

But what rules does Hawaii have? Is it just first digit means island? Because that's a pretty weak rule. It wouldn't surprise me if they started out with more rules and gradually relaxed them when new routes were added, like basically every other state.
There's that, and there's the "2 digits primary, 3 digits secondary", which Oahu expands to 4 digits because Oahu.

NE2

It wouldn't surprise me if Hawaii's numbers match the old federal aid numbers, including four-digit for federal aid urban. Nevada switched to a similar match in about 1980.

bdmoss88

The base and paving of the Centreville bypass is on the letting list in November.
http://alletting.dot.state.al.us/WEBPROPS/2013/NTCNov0813.htm#CALL014

NE2

QuoteFun challenge: Name all of the states that adhere to numbering rules.

Mississippi.
No room was left in the grid for expansion, leading to stuff like 30 between 4 and 6. Indiana made a grid several years earlier than Mississippi and left room (though not always enough).

froggie

Their grid was originally designed that way.  Go through a first round of the PRIMARY highways, then go back through a second route from north to south of slightly less important highways.

NE2

Quote from: froggie on October 31, 2013, 06:35:34 AM
Their grid was originally designed that way.  Go through a first round of the PRIMARY highways, then go back through a second route from north to south of slightly less important highways.
You may be right, but what about 50? Why wasn't 10 renumbered something like 36? Answer: they no longer adhered to numbering rules.

NE2

Quote from: Eth on September 11, 2013, 10:11:55 PM
Was AL 605 formerly CR 203? I was just on that segment of US 231 back in December, but I don't recall seeing any mention of the state route.
Yes, except that it swings around the west side of Dothan. CR 203 was, incidentally, former SR 203.

Other numbering violations in Alabama:
SR 216 (former CR 116, ex-SR 116) when there's never been a 214
SR 248, numbered because it's near SR 249

msunat97

What is the big interchange East of Montgomery on I-85?

NE2

Quote from: msunat97 on December 02, 2013, 09:33:17 AM
What is the big interchange East of Montgomery on I-85?
The Montgomery Outer Loop (future relocated I-85). http://www.montgomerychamber.com/page.aspx?pid=1467

Charles2

...and the former I-85 will be redesignated as I-685.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.