News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Delmarva Meet: Sunday, March 23, 2014

Started by Laura, February 23, 2014, 11:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

HB...you have my deepest condolences on your loss.

It was a great meet.  One of the coolest things - which I recommend to anyone who may be in the area - is to take the small 2 or 3 car ferry across the small river down there.  Very cool indeed!

oscar

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 25, 2014, 12:30:18 PM
One of the coolest things - which I recommend to anyone who may be in the area - is to take the small 2 or 3 car ferry across the small river down there.  Very cool indeed!

Agreed, as a bit of an auto ferry geek who was one of the people who asked it be kept on our itinerary.  The ferry vessel comfortably fit all three of our cars and the passengers therein, plus several other foot passengers. 

The design of the ferry vessel (cable-guided barge, with a crew member in a small control room) was very familiar to me.  I've been on smaller such barges, across wider rivers, as well as similar but larger barges without cable guides so the captain had to steer them somewhat upstream to stay on course. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Brandon

^^ That makes two weeks in a row that auto ferries have played a part in a road meet.  We wound up taking both the Brussels Ferry and the Golden Eagle Ferry through Calhoun County, Illinois at the St Louis meet.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

oscar

Here are my two group photos from the Delmarva meet, both taken at the north end (inland side) of the DE 1 Indian River bridge.  Froggie took both photos with my camera (we were in a hurry, to take advantage of a break in the drizzle), but there may have been other group shots that include him but not someone else.  H.B. Elkins met us for lunch, but had to skip the tour to start heading back home.

From left to right:

Jeff Taylor [jeffandnicole], Mike Tantillo [mtantillo], Anthony Costanzo [Duke87], Daniel Greenstein, Keith Thomas (behind Laura), Laura Bianca-Pruett [Laura], Mike Pruett [MDRoads], Michael Temme-Solfer [mts83], Oscar Voss [oscar], C.P. Zilliacus [cpzilliacus]

Alex

Did any of you walk on the pedestrian path of the bridge? I wanted to check that out when I stopped by with my sister two years ago, but with her MD tags it was twice the amount to pay at the adjacent lot. So I took photos and we headed out.

Takumi

The four blanks are, left to right, Anthony Costanzo (Duke87), Daniel Greenstein, Keith Thomas (behind Laura), and Michael Temme-Soifer (mts83).
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Duke87

Ahem, there are four blanks... I'm the dude holding the send help sign in photo 1 and being a goofball in photo 2. :sombrero:

Name's Anthony Costanzo.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Takumi

Don't @ me. Seriously.

NE2

Are you sure you want the Nimbyans to have your real names?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

oscar

Quote from: Takumi on March 27, 2014, 07:06:29 PM
The four blanks are, left to right, Anthony Costanzo (Duke87), Daniel Greenstein, Keith Thomas (behind Laura), and Michael Temme-Soifer (mts83).

Thanx.  I usually miss a few (senior moments and all that), but the rain gear also threw me off.

oscar

A quick followup on my pre- and post-meet touring:

I stayed in Pocomoke City MD the evening before.  So while many other participants were making their bleary-eyed drives up the Eastern Shore from the Norfolk area, I clinched MD 366 east of Poc. City (boring, but the number was irresistible), MD 756, MD 413 down to Crisfield, and MD 675 (Princess Anne segment), as well as parts of MD 12 and MD 667.  After the meet, mostly before nightfall, I snagged MD 349 to the Nanticoke area, MD 352, and MD 347.  Not gonna catch up to MDRoads on that state's highways, but at least I can fill in some of the holes in my southeastern MD map.

Brandon

Quote from: NE2 on March 27, 2014, 07:46:15 PM
Are you sure you want the Nimbyans to have your real names?

Dan, they can find out from other means.  Thus, a yawn is rather appropriate, IMHO.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

froggie

To answer Alex's question:  we didn't have time to walk the bridge.

Laura

thank you all so much for attending the meet! It was such a pleasure, and it was awesome that most of the people who came to Saturday's Hampton Roads meet stuck around for Delmarva.

There were lessons learned on my end (have one Pruett write the itinerary, and only write directions one way; don't forget potty breaks; remember that lunch can go over two hours long, especially when everyone is leaving directly after dinner; learn all of the local MD stub routes along the route) but I had a lot of fun and am glad you all did, too!

Takumi

I wanted to come, but simply couldn't fit both meets in financially, with one car due for inspection and my dog's annual checkup this paycheck.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

talllguy

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.