Regional Boards > Northwest

I-5 Columbia River Crossing (OR/WA)

<< < (33/35) > >>

jakeroot:

--- Quote from: kernals12 on May 19, 2022, 08:23:15 PM ---And I don't know what you mean about extreme weather, less density reduces the urban heat island effect.

--- End quote ---

Generally speaking, impervious surfaces are not helpful in extreme rainfall events. This goes for both urban and suburban areas, of course.

kernals12:

--- Quote from: jakeroot on May 19, 2022, 08:54:59 PM ---
--- Quote from: kernals12 on May 19, 2022, 08:23:15 PM ---And I don't know what you mean about extreme weather, less density reduces the urban heat island effect.

--- End quote ---

Generally speaking, impervious surfaces are not helpful in extreme rainfall events. This goes for both urban and suburban areas, of course.

--- End quote ---

Denser areas have a larger impervious percentage of land area.

1:
A lot of pavement is parking lots. These are found more in suburbs.

That said, the back rows don't get used often maybe use a different material that isn't impervious but isn't a problem if it doesn't last as long in terms of number of vehicles used?

Here's a really bad example of three adjacent (and unconnected!) parking lots with that are empty in Google Satellite View four if you include the Home Depot.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3954114,-71.26583,299m/data=!3m1!1e3

Scott5114:

--- Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 19, 2022, 08:33:17 PM ---
--- Quote from: Bruce on May 19, 2022, 08:09:11 PM ---
Adding more sprawl that requires more driving would not help anyone. Homes would be just as expensive, commutes would be longer, more forestland would be forever gone, and the effects of extreme weather would be intensified.

--- End quote ---
But yet housing in cities like OKC that are more sprawled out than most cities are the cheapest.

--- End quote ---

Housing (and everything) in OKC is cheap because of low demand relative to other cities.

Plutonic Panda:
Update:

--- Quote ---The final design is scheduled for mid-2025, with construction beginning by the end of 2025. Construction is expected to take five to seven years to complete.
--- End quote ---

- https://www.columbian.com/news/2022/jul/14/initial-i-5-bridge-plan-earns-final-votes-of-endorsement/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version