Truman Parkway: Future Part of the Interstate Highway System?

Started by Morriswa, April 29, 2012, 06:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morriswa

Could the Truman Parkway, in Savannah, Georgia, eventually be turned into an Interstate?

I thought I'd heard once of a proposal to extend I-516 around the eastern part of Savannah.

I know that another poster on here (I don't remember which one) has envisioned a re-imagined I-99 down the east coast.  Could either of these proposals work?

Alex

Quote from: Morriswa on April 29, 2012, 06:36:35 PM
Could the Truman Parkway, in Savannah, Georgia, eventually be turned into an Interstate?

I thought I'd heard once of a proposal to extend I-516 around the eastern part of Savannah.

I know that another poster on here (I don't remember which one) has envisioned a re-imagined I-99 down the east coast.  Could either of these proposals work?

No and no.

It is a county-built freeway for one, and the I-99 down the coast concept is just a pipe dream from the fictional highways section.

Morriswa

NE2

No such thing. I-516 is part of the I-238 extension.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

I've never heard of an I-516 extension.  Would it run down DeRenne?  They would have to demolish a lot of buildings to shoehorn it through there.

Morriswa

I only heard it once, so I don't know if any possible route was mentioned.

Could it be extended from its western terminus to loop through the southern part of SC?

texaskdog

Morriswa

I was thinking it could go northeast toward Beaufort/Hilton Head Island.  It wouldn't go to those cities; it would just head in that direction.  It could intersect I-95.

Alex

Quote from: Morriswa on May 01, 2012, 05:02:21 PM
I was thinking it could go northeast toward Beaufort/Hilton Head Island.  It wouldn't go to those cities; it would just head in that direction.  It could intersect I-95.

This is purely fictional in origin, please take this train of thought to that section of the forum.

CarolinaPaladin

I thought Harry Truman Parkway would be extended westward to terminate at Abercorn Street.  To make a complete loop with Veterans Parkward miles westward, the Truman Parkway would have to go through some sensitive wetlands.

Alps

To be fair, both ends of the Truman are designed for extension - seems like it could eventually make a full loop around Savannah as I-495. (295 being in JAX, too close to reuse) Ask Las Vegas about a county-built freeway becoming an Interstate.

CarolinaPaladin

I do not know how far north Truman Parkway can be extended.  I guess it could be routed northward into South Carolina, carrying US-17 if there are no plans to widen the Talmadge Memorial Bridge to 4 or 6 lanes.

mgk920

The latest Google aerial images shows construction activity at its south end, with that activity running due west across that river to feed into surface streets on the other side (Abercom St/GA 204).  BTW, from those aerials, it looks like Abercom is a total traffic zoo, at least as far north as I-516.

Mike

Morriswa

mgk920

Quote from: Morriswa on May 11, 2012, 11:39:42 PM
So, could extensions make more sense, then?

I don't know if I'd say that, as that area is pretty heavily urbanized (ROW $$$$), and you also have the issue of that very close by military base.

Mike

alex5793

The Truman Parkway Phase V will tie to Abercorn by crossing the Vernon River - it is all under construction.  The Savannah MPO was looking into some concepts that would extend the freeway across the mall area by constructing a toll viaduct down the middle of Abercorn.  The bridge would be similar to one built in Tampa for the Crosstown Expy.  I saw this info in 2011, not sure if Chatham County / MPO is still studying it or not.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.