News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Tom958 on August 03, 2021, 05:29:11 AM
This master-blaster overhead is unfortunately located just beyond and is obstructed by the Perimeter Center Parkway bridge, which impedes the already-difficult task of interpreting it. It also introduces exits 27A and 27B, replacing exit 27 for both directions.

I bet whoever decided those pavement shields were good enough also decided the return of Frankensign was fine. Oh, wait–they did.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

roadman65

At I-105's eastern terminus in Eugene, OR. the sign bridge over the highway is interesting that it lacks a guide sign for Exit 4A.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

machias

Part two, crossposted from the Georgia thread:

(snip)

This master-blaster overhead is unfortunately located just beyond and is obstructed by the Perimeter Center Parkway bridge, which impedes the already-difficult task of interpreting it. It also introduces exits 27A and 27B, replacing exit 27 for both directions.

But everyone can now compare Georgia D and the newer FHWA Series D in mixed case side by side!  I still find Georgia D to be more legible than today's Series D.

Tom958

Quote from: vdeane on August 03, 2021, 12:47:31 PM
Spinning the view around, that "exit only" panel with an up arrow is kinda interesting!

They're all over the place on this project. I find them easy to understand. Perhaps non-roadgeeks do, too.

hbelkins

Quote from: roadman65 on August 03, 2021, 09:30:08 PM
At I-105's eastern terminus in Eugene, OR. the sign bridge over the highway is interesting that it lacks a guide sign for Exit 4A.

Looking at that sign bridge, it appears that there's a space where a sign used to be.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Kniwt

Quote from: hbelkins on August 04, 2021, 11:54:48 AM

Looking at that sign bridge, it appears that there's a space where a sign used to be.

Street View says it's been that way since at least 2008. The sign for Exit 4A is just before this, though. Looks like the beginning of the off-ramp might have been moved back a bit at some point.

jakeroot

Quote from: Kniwt on August 04, 2021, 12:02:54 PM
Looks like the beginning of the off-ramp might have been moved back a bit at some point.

That is basically correct. The 105 in Eugene was widened to 3x3 (from 2x2) e/o Coburg Rd in the mid-2000s, and the exit to southbound I-5 received a dedicated exit lane. In the process, to smooth out the exit, the divergence point was moved about 400 feet west.

The old sign bridge was a bit wider than necessary on the southern side of the eastbound carriageway, so it was able to remain in place when the roadway was physically widened to allow for the dedicated exit lane. But the Southbound I-5 exit sign had to be moved upstream as the old sign bridge was well past the new exit point.

MikeTheActuary

Bruce

A helpful sign at the Boeing Everett Factory's east entrance:

kphoger

What's up with the stippled arrow losing its stippling just before the bend?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

noelbotevera

penndot why

Doesn't help that this replaced a perfectly good sign seven years ago.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Bruce

Quote from: kphoger on August 05, 2021, 09:11:02 PM
What's up with the stippled arrow losing its stippling just before the bend?

Must be some lazy manufacturing. The ramp in question does remain dual lane through the whole movement.

1995hoo

I'm just chuffed to see something like this being retweeted by a sports blogger (@UniWatch).

https://twitter.com/KasselMedia/status/1423609921652760580
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

Street View says it's been that way since at least 2008. The sign for Exit 4A is just before this, though. Looks like the beginning of the off-ramp might have been moved back a bit at some point.

I am aware. I took a picture of both assemblies.  I still think it's odd that they removed the actual diverge and didn't use both.

Sheryl Crowe

DRMan

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on August 05, 2021, 07:40:46 PM
Found on Reddit:

Wondering if that's in honor of this weekend's Nashville Grand Prix. Rinus Veekay is one of the IndyCar drivers.

Very clever sign if that's what it is -- looks like a legit standard speed limit sign, other than the 240! I think I see another sign in back which might indicate the usual speed limit.

wanderer2575

Similar on northbound M-10 at I-94 in Detroit.  The sign for exit 4A (eastbound I-94) was removed from the gantry and replaced upstream.  No realignment; the original placement was just too far downstream.
https://goo.gl/maps/oTYqeoRSHVQgxcyb9

1995hoo

Quote from: Tom958 on August 01, 2021, 07:23:22 PM
Pretty self-explanatory. I think these appeared within the past couple of days.

The upside-down "8" there just makes it that much better.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 06, 2021, 02:08:54 PM
Quote from: Tom958 on August 01, 2021, 07:23:22 PM
Pretty self-explanatory. I think these appeared within the past couple of days.

The upside-down "8" there just makes it that much better.

Oh my god, it gets worse and worse. It's baffling, really.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

jay8g

Wait, so there are non-colored-in "US" 285 pavement shields in addition to the red-and-blue ones? This just keeps getting more bizarre.

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

Stephane Dumas

Not exactly a road sign, but this is a good way to recycle a old railroad crossing signal into a trail crossing signal.
https://goo.gl/maps/QZGjahqPtgAep7eJ8

interstatefan990

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on August 08, 2021, 01:45:15 PM
Not exactly a road sign, but this is a good way to recycle a old railroad crossing signal into a trail crossing signal.

"TrailTrail Crossing"
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: interstatefan990 on August 08, 2021, 03:09:28 PM
"TrailTrail Crossing"

How funny.  But, in some states, the presence of flashing light signals (FLS) on the former railroad crossing may still require school buses and hazmat trucks to stop and look both ways.  The presence of the "Trail Crossing" sign certainly creates a legal justification to avoid stopping there (except in states where pedestrians have the right-of-way at marked crosswalks).

roadfro

Except that, near as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be any sort of detection or button activation in use, and thus not an active warning mechanism. So this appears to be a case of leaving the old rail crossing infrastructure up, changing part of the crossbuck sign, and installing pedestrian crossing signs at substandard height.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

mrsman

Quote from: Dirt Roads on August 08, 2021, 03:34:56 PM

Quote from: interstatefan990 on August 08, 2021, 03:09:28 PM
"TrailTrail Crossing"

How funny.  But, in some states, the presence of flashing light signals (FLS) on the former railroad crossing may still require school buses and hazmat trucks to stop and look both ways.  The presence of the "Trail Crossing" sign certainly creates a legal justification to avoid stopping there (except in states where pedestrians have the right-of-way at marked crosswalks).

This is certainly unique, but I don't find it amusing.  Drivers react differently to a trail crossing than to a rail crossing.  This could actually be dangerous to the pedestrians and bicyclists crossing.

The R/R shuck should be removed.  The R/R lights should be replaced either with nothing, a flahsing yellow beacon, or some type of ped crossing signal if warranted.  The RXR should also be fully removed from the pavement.  To the extent they can make this more conventional, yet still recycle the existing equipment for the RR crossing, kudos.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.