News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoePCool14

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on August 17, 2021, 06:28:44 PM
I never saw a sign like this before.

Decently common in Mexico.  Here is the one I'm most familiar with, but there are plenty of others down there.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Speed Electrically Timed on PA 534 between I-80 and Hickory Run State Park.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

6a

Urbana, Ohio. Guess they wanted to match the stop sign on the other side. 

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/dUmLhfEcDDfQEW4W8
U And Left Turns is posted for the ramp to NJ 23 South. However there is no left turns on Route 23 back the opposite way. The sign is to guide those from NJ 23 North back to NJ 23 south who would also use this particular ramp.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ErmineNotyours

Wasn't there a thread for flashing lights outlining signs?  Anyway, I finally went past this one at dusk.  This sign replaced one showing a sharp curve, even though it isn't.  It has to crest over a water pipeline and it has low visibility, so the engineers thought lying about the road geometry was better than a sign that spelled out "limited vision distance."  The sign facing the other direction shows a different intersection configuration.  Whatever.

vdeane

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on August 25, 2021, 12:38:13 AM
Wasn't there a thread for flashing lights outlining signs?  Anyway, I finally went past this one at dusk.  This sign replaced one showing a sharp curve, even though it isn't.  It has to crest over a water pipeline and it has low visibility, so the engineers thought lying about the road geometry was better than a sign that spelled out "limited vision distance."  The sign facing the other direction shows a different intersection configuration.  Whatever.

Looks like each sign just warns about whatever intersection is beyond the hump in each direction.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Bruce

A map posted on WA 221 right before a major downhill section showing the nearest runaway truck ramp:

J N Winkler

Quote from: Bruce on August 25, 2021, 05:44:20 PMA map posted on WA 221 right before a major downhill section showing the nearest runaway truck ramp:

(Photo snipped for brevity)

Thanks for this--it's going on my hill descent map sign list.

It turns out this is a recent replacement, the original (as of 2018) having an all-yellow background.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Bruce

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 25, 2021, 05:54:33 PM
Quote from: Bruce on August 25, 2021, 05:44:20 PMA map posted on WA 221 right before a major downhill section showing the nearest runaway truck ramp:

(Photo snipped for brevity)

Thanks for this--it's going on my hill descent map sign list.

It turns out this is a recent replacement, the original (as of 2018) having an all-yellow background.

I'm glad it was changed. The yellow would blend in a bit too much with the background at a glance.

jakeroot

Spotted this in Lakewood, Colo:

"Left Turn Arrow Displays M-F 6-9a"

I am aware of many places that disable the green arrow during off-peak hours for various reasons, but I cannot recall seeing this sort of operation signed before.

roadman65

Oregon here copies the NJ Turnpike Authority on I-5 near Eugene.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/51405167051/in/dateposted-public/

That is the overhead exit tab that usually is in the gore.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Neat idea for those exiting a driveway where a wye split is just ahead.

Sheryl Crowe

plain

Quote from: roadman65 on August 28, 2021, 11:01:54 PM

Neat idea for those exiting a driveway where a wye split is just ahead.

I like it. I'm sure this would be especially helpful at truck stops, at least the ones on multi lane roads.
Newark born, Richmond bred

jakeroot

I'm not personally sold on the concept. Drivers really should not be pulling out into anything but the closest lane unless they are turning immediately. If that sign, for example, said "right lane", is that encouraging cars to turn immediately into the far lane? Assuming, in most situations, drivers should turn out into the closest lane, signs along the arterial should be sufficient to get traffic into the correct lane from there-on.

roadman65

I like the font on this sign for US 199.

Northern terminus of US 199 at I-5 near Grants Pass, Oregon.

Sheryl Crowe

machias

I found the lettering on this new guide panel on I-10 NW of Downtown Tucson interesting. I believe it's Series D (the earlier Georgia variant). ADOT specs allow for Series D to be used if Series EEM is going to result in an extra large sign.  Photo taken today.

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

plain

Quote from: roadman65 on September 01, 2021, 03:36:39 PM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/51416028766/

A great highway guide, but not standard and not state installed either.

Is that the furthest away the Golden Gate Bridge is mentioned?
Newark born, Richmond bred

roadman65

Quote from: plain on September 01, 2021, 05:19:26 PM

Thinks so.

On another subject, I believe this is supposed to be a reassurance sign, however the fact that both Willits and Fort Bragg are both separated by horizontal ruling, it is not necessary IMO.

BTW both cities are served by the very same CA 20 here. This sign is on CA 20 after splitting from US 101.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: plain on September 01, 2021, 05:19:26 PM

It's a pretty famous sign amongst roadgeeks.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

thefraze_1020

Quote from: Bruce on August 25, 2021, 05:44:20 PM
A map posted on WA 221 right before a major downhill section showing the nearest runaway truck ramp:

Put that one in the hill signage thread!
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: thefraze_1020 on September 01, 2021, 06:50:18 PM

That looks like a lot to take in at 65 MPH!!!!

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: roadman65 on September 01, 2021, 05:26:47 PM

On another subject, I believe this is supposed to be a reassurance sign, however the fact that both Willits and Fort Bragg are both separated by horizontal ruling, it is not necessary IMO.

BTW both cities are served by the very same CA 20 here. This sign is on CA 20 after splitting from US 101.

Maybe it's the unnatural evolution of a sign that was there before the Willits Bypass was built.  Before the Willits Bypass was built, 101 also ran along this section of road.  I could see Caltrans updating an old sign by removing a 101 shield but doing nothing else to update the sign.

1995hoo

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on September 01, 2021, 06:55:09 PM
Quote from: thefraze_1020 on September 01, 2021, 06:50:18 PM

(Photo deleted)

That looks like a lot to take in at 65 MPH!!!!

There may be a pullout at which it is mandatory for trucks to stop. I haven't looked at Street View (if available) to confirm whether that's the case, but often when you see these sorts of signs there's a spot where truckers have to stop and check their brakes and that's where you find this sort of sign.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.