News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Full service vs. Self Serve.

Started by BigMattFromTexas, August 10, 2010, 04:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

Topic guys - Start a new thread about Pizza -- ms
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

BigMattFromTexas

The Pizza Hut HQ is in Addison, Texas, but it was founded in Kansas.

But back on topic. I've only been to a few full service station here. So yeah. I'll stick to self serve.
BigMatt

Post Merge: December 31, 1969, 07:59:59 PM

Oh, and I'm not saying I don't trust the pump jockey, I usually don't trust a lot of people with my stuff...
BigMatt

[--BigMatt - please use the "Modify" button to edit your previous post instead of double posting.  --ms]

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 14, 2010, 01:01:25 AM
Quote from: The forum software on August 12, 2010, 01:43:10 PM

Post Merge: 1969-12-31, 19:59:59

What the hell is this.

looks like the default unix date of -1 when it cannot parse the accurate date.  (hey, it even adjusted it for time zone!)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 14, 2010, 01:01:25 AM
Quote from: The forum software on August 12, 2010, 01:43:10 PM

Post Merge: 1969-12-31, 19:59:59

What the hell is this.

A small bug in that addon.  As long as the post isn't modified once merged, this doesn't happen.

Scott5114

Ah. I see. Please assign the other Scott to Detention Area 3.

SSOWorld

Sure blame me for a bug :P [/off topic]
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 14, 2010, 11:20:33 AM

good heavens no, not the Prison Planet Delaware!

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

Quote from: Master son on August 14, 2010, 01:06:00 PM
Sure blame me for a bug :P [/off topic]

Not a bug. You edited the post after merging! That's what ruined it.

Your capriciousness is unbecoming. Detention Area 3 is too good for you. Jake, see to it that he goes to Detention Area 5.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 14, 2010, 01:50:17 PM

Your capriciousness is unbecoming. Detention Area 3 is too good for you. Jake, see to it that he goes to Detention Area 5.

good heavens!  we've managed to divide the Prison Planet Delaware into five areas now?  Are any of them larger than a thimble??

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 11, 2010, 04:16:11 PM
my stop at Sheetz in 2007 or so:

pull up to pump.
swipe card, start pumping gas.
note food options. 
order hot dog directly from gas pump.
finish pumping gas. 
go inside and get food.
hit the freeway.

this definitely takes less than the average stop for food in other places!

I haven't found a Sheetz that offers food ordering at the pump yet, but I would love it if I did. I usually get the same thing everytime I stop at a Sheetz so that would be a pretty handy option to have. They don't have this option at the newer Sheetz stores in western West Virginia.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mightyace

^^^

I don't recall having seen any.

But, I have found a few Mapco locations here in middle Tennessee that have that option.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

US71

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 11, 2010, 06:46:48 PM
pizza is pretty hard to screw up. 

Hunt Brothers is slightly better than Hot Stuff Pizza, but I've never had a decent Noble Roman's or Piccadilly Pizza. Pizza Pro is a crap-shoot. I always look to see if the pizza appears fresh or if I can find a time on the package. More than an hour in the warmer, it starts to dry out and get kind of nasty... then I generally won't touch it.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

J N Winkler

Sticking my oar in on the issues both of self-service and pizza:

*  I have driven cars where the tank develops sufficient backpressure while being filled to trigger the pump shutoff prematurely.  The gas jockey does not know how close to empty my tank is or how great its total capacity is, and so has no way of knowing that the shutoff is crying wolf.  It is much faster for me to pump my own gas than to try to teach the jockey about the peculiarities of shutoff behavior.  For this reason I prefer to pump my own gas.  I appreciate that this is illegal in Oregon and New Jersey but it is my firm belief that the mandatory full-service laws in both states are stupid and long overdue for repeal.  I don't care that gas is cheaper in NJ than in neighboring states--the real reason is NJ's gas tax, which is far too low and has nothing to do with mandatory full-service.

*  It is indeed possible to ruin pizza.  One way to do it is to microwave store-bought frozen pizza when the directions call for reheating it in the oven (often this is the only way to heat the pizza at all when an oven is unavailable, as often occurs at youth hostels and other types of budget accommodation with bare-bones self-catering facilities).  The crust is usually doughy, tough, and underdone.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

agentsteel53

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 15, 2010, 10:27:27 AM
*  I have driven cars where the tank develops sufficient backpressure while being filled to trigger the pump shutoff prematurely.  The gas jockey does not know how close to empty my tank is or how great its total capacity is, and so has no way of knowing that the shutoff is crying wolf. 

what I really dislike are the pumps whose backpressure indicator seems to have gone completely off the rocker, and they shut off after a few squirts.  The only way to get those to continue to work is to assert precisely 86% pressure on the trigger, which is of course an exercise in dexterity - 85% and it shuts off because it is not triggered; 87% because it is overtriggered.

so with those, at some point when you're getting near the end, you will have to assume that the next click off is because the gas tank is really full, not just because your fingers slipped.  I've driven off with 3/4 of a tank of gas before simply because I did not know the capacity of the rental car and the first time I had to refuel, I got one of those balky gas pumps.

jake@aaroads.com

allniter89

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 14, 2010, 01:33:48 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on August 14, 2010, 11:20:33 AM

good heavens no, not the Prison Planet Delaware!
uh, how did Delaware get into this??:-)) I didnt think Dela had anything to where, but I dunno I'll ask her (Alaska).
But seriously folks, what's with the Delaware reference??  :hmmm:, inside joke???. I'm from Delaware, so I'm curious?
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

agentsteel53

Quote from: allniter89 on August 15, 2010, 03:48:09 PM

uh, how did Delaware get into this??:-)) I didnt think Dela had anything to where, but I dunno I'll ask her (Alaska).

I think the joke continues to mention something about a New Mexico... or maybe it's New Hampshire.  I just can't remember.

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 12, 2010, 12:17:21 PM
I personally prefer Wichita*-style pizza, but I'm friggin' weird...

*Headquarters of Pizza Hut

Pizza Hut has gone downhill (as had Godfather's, one of all time favorites)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

realjd

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 15, 2010, 12:57:24 PM
what I really dislike are the pumps whose backpressure indicator seems to have gone completely off the rocker, and they shut off after a few squirts.  The only way to get those to continue to work is to assert precisely 86% pressure on the trigger, which is of course an exercise in dexterity - 85% and it shuts off because it is not triggered; 87% because it is overtriggered.

I always run into problems with those weird vapor capture pumps y'all have out in California. If a gas pump needs instructions on how to insert the nozzle properly, it's too complicated. I shouldn't have to jiggle it up and down in a set pattern and insert the nozzle at an extremely precise angle to get the vapor seal to lock so the pump functions!

agentsteel53

But seriously folks, what's with the Delaware reference??  :hmmm:, inside joke???. I'm from Delaware, so I'm curious?

yes, inside joke.  Alex is from there so when he noted to the other staff that he was going home for a few weeks and not going to have internet, we decided that he was exiled to the Prison Planet Delaware.

jake@aaroads.com

njroadhorse

I am kinda split on the whole self/full debate.  It is kinda nice to have that service done for you when I'm in New Jersey, but anywhere else, I'm fine with pumping my own gas.  Sometimes, I wish self-service was legal in Jersey because I've run into some shady attendants before where I wish I could pump it myself.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

allniter89

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 15, 2010, 05:35:03 PM
yes, inside joke.  Alex is from there so when he noted to the other staff that he was going home for a few weeks and not going to have internet, we decided that he was exiled to the Prison Planet Delaware.

Oh, I see, lol. No internet??? Yikes!!!

[ - Fixed quote.  -rmf67]
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

BigMattFromTexas

Out of all the pizza chains I've eaten at, the only one I really like is Pinocchio's Pizza. They have HUGE slices. At least the one in Wichita Falls, TX does. ;)
BigMatt

exit322

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 12, 2010, 12:17:21 PM
I personally prefer Wichita*-style pizza, but I'm friggin' weird...

*Headquarters of Pizza Hut

While there are other pizza types that are also excellent (I loves me some Chicago Deep Dish), and some local places are excellent...when I want *Pizza Hut,* I want Pizza Hut.  Much like a Big Mac.  If I want a Big Mac, I'm not going to anywhere else that puts 1000 Island Dressing on a hamburger...I'm going to McDonalds.

Back to topic - I like self-serve, because usually when I'm traveling I go to gas stations, fill up, go in, look around, go to the bathroom, come out, look around some more, pick up a motel coupon guide for the state I'm in if I didn't get one at the welcome center already, pick up something to eat if anything looks appetizing (and there are no local places around I'd like to try), and go.  Unless I have to go to the bathroom again, in which case (look, I drink a lot of soda when I'm driving, so you just hush) I'll go back to the bathroom, then look around the store again just in case I missed something.

exit322

Quote from: mightyace on August 15, 2010, 03:19:02 AM
^^^

I don't recall having seen any.

But, I have found a few Mapco locations here in middle Tennessee that have that option.

The Goasis in Ashland OH (it's a TA spinoff) has the order at the pump...I'm not sure which of the stores in the restaurant it entails (there is a Popeye's Chicken, a Pizza Hut Express IIRC and a Taco Bell...basically, it's a TA without the Trucks), but there is the order-at-the-pump option.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.