News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

State-named interstate shields

Started by Mergingtraffic, May 06, 2014, 09:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

route17fan

John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

TheCatalyst31

I found another Wisconsin one, an I-43 shield on US 141 in Green Bay. It's still standing as of today.

Takumi

I saw several non-cutout state-name shields around Hampton Roads the other day. Here's an I-64 on a black square on VA 172 northbound at VA 171 in Poquoson:
http://goo.gl/maps/MjX44

There are several state-name white squares for I-264 on eastbound VA 337 in Portsmouth (these two are at Elmhurst Lane):
http://goo.gl/maps/LMHxv
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

SignGeek101

Found a couple in Vermont. I haven't seen many of them there.

http://goo.gl/maps/Vk6eM

http://goo.gl/maps/n0zmF

andy3175

Quote from: SignGeek101 on January 03, 2015, 09:54:49 PM
Found a couple in Vermont. I haven't seen many of them there.

http://goo.gl/maps/Vk6eM

http://goo.gl/maps/n0zmF

My how things change. When I last visited Vermont in 2007 and 2000, there were state-named shields aplenty. But in the 2007 visit, I saw the replacement shields going in on I-91 ... and they all lacked the state name. The guide signs were also being replaced at that time, with roughly the southern half of I-91 with new, reflective signs and the northern half of I-91 with older, non-reflective guide signs.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

StogieGuy7

Quote from: freebrickproductions on July 16, 2014, 11:24:45 PM
Here's another I-565 one in Huntsville. This one's along AL 255, IIRC.

I-565 sheild by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

I was just in Alabama on a business trip and did quite a bit of driving through the state and it appears that Alabama is a state where the vast majority of Interstate shields have the state name on them.  Even new ones. Very nice to see, by the way. 

freebrickproductions

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on January 04, 2015, 11:50:38 AM

I-565 sheild by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

I was just in Alabama on a business trip and did quite a bit of driving through the state and it appears that Alabama is a state where the vast majority of Interstate shields have the state name on them.  Even new ones. Very nice to see, by the way. 
It is nice. I only know of one I-565 shield in Alabama (it's also the only one in my area) that is neutered.

EDIT: I found another neutered I-565 shield over in/near Madison a few days ago.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

cl94

Quote from: freebrickproductions on January 04, 2015, 10:30:29 PM
[pic snipped]

It is nice. I only know of one I-565 shield in Alabama (it's also the only one in my area) that is neutered.

Can you send some of those up north? We in New York would love to have some more, as NYSDOT has a thing for replacing anything more than 10 years old
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Zeffy

Quote from: cl94 on January 04, 2015, 10:32:52 PM
Can you send some of those up north? We in New York would love to have some more, as NYSDOT has a thing for replacing anything more than 10 years old

You can just ask your neighbors to the south too.  ;-)  Most of New Jersey's Interstate shields are state-named, and new installations generally contain the state name as well.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

ajlynch91

Alex

Quote from: freebrickproductions on January 04, 2015, 10:30:29 PM

Likely a contractor based shield, but a new neutered I-10 shield popped up in Mobile during the most recent six-laning project of the freeway:

It used to be a hunt to locate all of the non-state named shields in Lower Alabama. One still stands along I-65 northbound from the early 2000s, when it was thought ALDOT was going all-neutered. Not many of them posted otherwise.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Hoss6884 on January 02, 2015, 08:23:34 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 10, 2014, 08:58:27 AM
I-579 use to be the last remaining Interstate in PA that had it's entire route posted with State Named shields.  However, with all the new BGS's installed, every last mainline state named shield bit the dust.  Only good thing that came out of that was that we now have a Southern 'END' shield that we didn't have before.  We once had a Northern 'END' shield, but it disappeared ages ago, and has never been replaced, even though the 'END' banner still remains.  Only one state named I-579 remains, and it's the one shown in the Shield Gallery, unless there's one hidden somewhere else that I don't know about.

I-279 state named shields are easier to find if you know where to look, but, none are posted along the mainline itself, but there are less of them because of I-376 taking over part of it's route a few years ago.

As for I-79, only one state named shield on the mainline comes to mind at this time, and it's on the Neville Island Bridge.  In fact, I think the 'SOUTH' banner that it has is original to when the bridge opened.  Too bad the shield isn't, but still, a state named on the mainline in PA is a rare sight nowadays. http://goo.gl/maps/Oqcc7

I came across this beauty while driving in Downtown Pittsburgh during the holidays.  This might be the only I-376 shield left in the wild.

There are a few other state-named I-79 shields located around the Campbells Run Road ramp to the Parkway West (Example #1 and Example #2).

I'll take back my comment about I-579 now not having any state-named shields on the mainline.  One did survive (not counting the surviving one at Mario Lemieux Place).  And it's even paired with a state-named I-376. http://goo.gl/maps/SmDZi

And Hoss6884, that one on Cowan Road seems to be a brand new one that was posted when I-376 was added to that section of the Parkway.

KG909

Does anyone know if California just decided to get rid of state-name shields? I spotted some neutered I-10 shields, I'll take pics next time.
~Fuccboi

myosh_tino

Quote from: KG909 on January 06, 2015, 06:27:54 PM
Does anyone know if California just decided to get rid of state-name shields? I spotted some neutered I-10 shields, I'll take pics next time.

Did they look like these?

I have seen neutered shields on I-80 and I-5.  I chalk this up to a strange phase Caltrans went through a few years ago where they posted some unusually shaped interstate shields.  Most retained the state name but some of the newer ones did not.  Either way, these angular shields look hideous!
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

KG909

Quote from: myosh_tino on January 07, 2015, 02:26:38 AM
Quote from: KG909 on January 06, 2015, 06:27:54 PM

Did they look like these?

I have seen neutered shields on I-80 and I-5.  I chalk this up to a strange phase Caltrans went through a few years ago where they posted some unusually shaped interstate shields.  Most retained the state name but some of the newer ones did not.  Either way, these angular shields look hideous!
It looked like this

(thank you Gmsv)
Hmm, now that I see those other shields, it probably was a contractor that put them up. I actually kinda like the I-10 and I-5 neutered shields, but I love state-named shields.
~Fuccboi

myosh_tino

Quote from: KG909 on January 07, 2015, 09:59:08 AM
It looked like this

Yep, those are those hideous angular interstate shields and it looks like a newer installation too (using raised-caps in the directional banner is a dead give-away).  I guess Caltrans still have some in inventory.  I wish they'd burn those and go back to the old '57 spec shields.
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

andy3175

Regarding California Interstate shields that lack the state name, the places where I've noticed them the most are:

I-80 in the Sierra Nevada and "over the top" in Sacramento (although that may have changed with the recent ongoing construction project)
I-5 through western Kern County (all angular shields with no state name; travel one county north or south, and the shields are all state named)
I-5 in northern San Diego County (only a few remain, mostly southbound; several were replaced a couple years ago with angular state name shields)
I-10 near San Bernardino heading west toward Pomona (some angular neutered along with some traditional shaped shields neutered)
I-15 in northern San Diego County (just a few remain, just like as on I-5; the wildfires of 2007 helped get rid old signs and bring the neutered signs forward)

I've noticed most recent construction projects such as I-15 Express Lanes in San Diego and I-5 in Orange County have state named shields, so I agree with Myosh that Caltrans seemed to go through a phase with non-state named shields.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

myosh_tino

Quote from: andy3175 on January 08, 2015, 12:24:26 AM
I've noticed most recent construction projects such as I-15 Express Lanes in San Diego and I-5 in Orange County have state named shields, so I agree with Myosh that Caltrans seemed to go through a phase with non-state named shields.

Andy,

Any idea if these new shields on the I-15 Express Lanes and on I-5 in Orange County the "angular" variety or are they the proper '57 spec shields?

andy3175

Quote from: myosh_tino on January 08, 2015, 12:59:19 PM
Andy,

Any idea if these new shields on the I-15 Express Lanes and on I-5 in Orange County the "angular" variety or are they the proper '57 spec shields?

The I-15 Express Lanes freeway entrance shields are traditional proper specs. The I-15 Express Lanes mainline shields seem to vary between state-named angular, neutered angular, and state-named proper spec shields.

I-5 shields in Orange County are all state named, but you will find every possible variation in shield size and angularity. Some are 24", some are 36". Some are the angular variety with large numerals; others are the angular variety with smaller numerals. Some have green NORTH/SOUTH banners. I need to see the newest portion of I-5, from CA 91 north to the county line, to see how the new reassurance shields look.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

TEG24601

I just came across this sign last night in downtown Seattle, near 6th and Union.

They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

freebrickproductions

Here's another state-named I-565 shield in Huntsville:
To I-565 West by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jakeroot

Quote from: TEG24601 on January 15, 2015, 08:01:59 PM
I just came across this sign last night in downtown Seattle, near 6th and Union.

http://i.imgur.com/xD8euHX.jpg

SDOT has installed a surprisingly large amount of state-named shields in the past 5-8 years. Who knows what prompted them to start doing it.

ctsignguy

Quote from: jakeroot on January 18, 2015, 02:02:54 AM
Quote from: TEG24601 on January 15, 2015, 08:01:59 PM

http://i.imgur.com/xD8euHX.jpg

SDOT has installed a surprisingly large amount of state-named shields in the past 5-8 years. Who knows what prompted them to start doing it.

Dont care who prompted them to do it....tell them to keep it up!
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

andy3175

I am aware of at 2 least instances where a state named shield is named for another state besides the one in which the shield is posted. One set is located at the parking garage to the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, where the signs pointing to Interstate 15 show "California" rather than Nevada. Another is here, on Arizona 95 traveling south just north of Needles, CA just before crossing the Colorado River:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.852981,-114.608203,3a,75y,223.66h,91.43t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s9VYzQcLF7WhdzWTCHOuohw!2e0.

Are there other instances in which the state named shield posted shows a different state name than the state in which the shield is posted?
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.