News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Non-standard signage (waaay non-standard)

Started by Michael in Philly, November 21, 2011, 01:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael in Philly

Ladies, Gentlemen, I draw your attention to this, from a Guess the Highway contest on Skyscrapercity:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=85889621&postcount=3291

When it appeared, I assumed it was, um, some place other than Brighton, Colorado ( http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=39.986952,-104.822938&spn=0.000033,0.021887&t=h&z=16&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=39.986998,-104.823049&panoid=yLCcFQDm7qjkpjSzon_sKQ&cbp=12,314.5,,0,0 ).  Some place on the far side of an ocean, or at least of an international border.

What gives?
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

1995hoo

I've always rather liked that sort of arrow-shaped sign at an exit (be it from a roundabout, at a gore point on the Interstate, whatever) because it's about as close to idiot-proof as you can get. "If you want this road to this city, go this way." It's a lot more useful than just the word "Exit."

Very odd to see that sort of sign, especially in that color scheme, in use in the USA, though.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Truvelo

Those signs wouldn't look out of place over here. We use the arrow shaped ones all the time. Even the black on white colour scheme would be correct for a lower class of road here.
Speed limits limit life

agentsteel53

various towns off I-70 in Colorado use those.  but I did not remember a white/black one - just a lot of green/whites, but with arrow shapes as in Europe.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Michael in Philly

Exactly, Truvelo.  It screamed "British" to me except for being on the wrong side.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Michael in Philly

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 21, 2011, 02:42:25 PM
various towns off I-70 in Colorado use those.  but I did not remember a white/black one - just a lot of green/whites, but with arrow shapes as in Europe.

With route numbers that have no shields?  That's very Massachusetts.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

corco

There actually is a shield- it's a regular big green sign US-85 shield, so it blends in to the point that it looks like there's no shield. I have a picture of it that allows you to make out the shield shape, if I can find it. Give me a few minutes

corco

Boom- here's the highest resolution crop I have

Larger-area shots

Why I didn't photograph any other signs in the roundabout the two times I was there is beyond me.

J N Winkler

What a wretched attempt at copying Chapter 7 standards--the chevron is too thin, the stub arms are like pencils, etc.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Ian

Quote from: J N Winkler on November 21, 2011, 05:29:59 PM
What a wretched attempt at copying Chapter 7 standards--the chevron is too thin, the stub arms are like pencils, etc.

Besides some of the flaws like this, I rather like those signs.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

I would like the signs more if the 85 shields were properly delineated with a correct black outline.  white-on-white looks ridiculous - how did this ever pass muster?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

corco

In fairness, it's a lot easier to distinguish the shield from the sign in person, but I agree that a black outline would be nice.

Alps

Who put these up, and who in the FHWA got a stroke when they found out?

Zmapper

I want to know that too. I do remember taking a picture last time I was through the Brighton roundabouts; have to see if I can find them. White on white is hard to discern, even if you aren't driving.

usends

I checked with Matt Salek about this: his recollection is that CDOT put up these signs when they converted these offramps to roundabouts, back in about 2005.  So technically they weren't out-of-spec back then, since roundabout signage rules weren't laid out until the 2009 MUTCD... but it does seem strange that CDOT didn't use the same signage style that they already had installed elsewhere by then (in Vail and other places).
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

Dr Frankenstein

It looks like they looked at European roundabouts and just copied the designs.

ClarkE

This sign was put up earlier today in Manchester, Kentucky. As far as I can tell, it's not meant to be an honorary sign. The town legally changed the name of the street, and put up this sign to honor a football player that played for the local high school. The guy's parents live on the street:

In case you can't read it, the left side has the Morehead State University logo, the bottom says "KHSAA Career Leader in Passing Yardage" and the top has his yards and the word PASS (as in Zach Lewis Pass)

Edit: IDK if this is the right thread to post in, but this is definitely non-standard...

Scott5114

A street named for a high school football player?  :eyebrow:
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 21, 2011, 08:08:01 AM

You got a point there. Being in Kentucky, I would have expected a street named for a high school basketball player instead.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Scott5114

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on December 21, 2011, 10:30:53 PM

You got a point there. Being in Kentucky, I would have expected a street named for a high school basketball player instead.

:banghead:

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2011, 01:33:38 AM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on December 21, 2011, 10:30:53 PM

:banghead:

Your loss.

vtk

Yeah, naming a street after a high school football player sounds like an Ohio thing.  Specifically, some small town in the 740 area code.

Seriously, that sign is way too busy.  And what bonehead decided yellow on white is a good idea?  The thin black outline makes the text visible but probably not from a distance.  I'd have gone with a plain, standard sign, and an informational plaque mounted lower and facing away from the intersection for curious pedestrians.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Scott5114

Quote from: vtk on December 23, 2011, 12:11:49 AM
And what bonehead decided yellow on white is a good idea?

Probably the school colors or some similar idiotic shit.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: vtk on December 23, 2011, 12:11:49 AM
Yeah, naming a street after a high school football player sounds like an Ohio thing.  Specifically, some small town in the 740 area code.

Massillon is in the 330 area code, not 740.

Brian556

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.