News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Why do some maps refer to FL 821 (or the Homestead Extension) as the West Dade Expressway? 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on March 17, 2012, 10:20:43 PM
Why do some maps refer to FL 821 (or the Homestead Extension) as the West Dade Expressway? 
I'd teach you to fish but the mods won't let me.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on March 17, 2012, 10:27:35 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 17, 2012, 10:20:43 PM
I'd teach you to fish but the mods won't let me.
And I still think deprecation is a valuable part of this forum. Answer to the question: Google the terms you asked.

formulanone

Bit of a moot point, since nobody calls it that. I've seen some old maps from years ago use it, but I've never heard anyone describe it as such since living in the area since 1982.

jwolfer

Quote from: formulanone on March 20, 2012, 04:55:21 AM
Bit of a moot point, since nobody calls it that. I've seen some old maps from years ago use it, but I've never heard anyone describe it as such since living in the area since 1982.

for continuity I would like to see the HEFT along with the mainline FL turnpike signed as TOLL 91 from Homestead to Wildwood.  It isprpbably only known to roadgeeks and GPS as SR 91.  But I like the idea and it would make the mile-based exits all on the same State Road

realjd

Quote from: jwolfer on March 20, 2012, 03:24:10 PM
for continuity I would like to see the HEFT along with the mainline FL turnpike signed as TOLL 91 from Homestead to Wildwood.  It isprpbably only known to roadgeeks and GPS as SR 91.  But I like the idea and it would make the mile-based exits all on the same State Road

They'd have to go replace all of the Turnpike signs. That's expensive. Like you said, only road geeks care about the hidden state designations. There are much better ways to spend our tax dollars IMO. Besides, everyone knows it as the Turnpike. It was bad enough when Orlando switched expressway signage to numbers; this would just cause unnecessary confusion for everyone who isn't a road geek (i.e. almost everyone).

jwolfer

Quote from: realjd on March 20, 2012, 04:38:20 PM
Quote from: jwolfer on March 20, 2012, 03:24:10 PM
for continuity I would like to see the HEFT along with the mainline FL turnpike signed as TOLL 91 from Homestead to Wildwood.  It isprpbably only known to roadgeeks and GPS as SR 91.  But I like the idea and it would make the mile-based exits all on the same State Road

They'd have to go replace all of the Turnpike signs. That's expensive. Like you said, only road geeks care about the hidden state designations. There are much better ways to spend our tax dollars IMO. Besides, everyone knows it as the Turnpike. It was bad enough when Orlando switched expressway signage to numbers; this would just cause unnecessary confusion for everyone who isn't a road geek (i.e. almost everyone).

There are tons of confused people here in Jax with the change from SR 9A to I-295 East Beltway.  But why not just change the HEFT to SR 91.  Or we could go nuts and have a Southern I-91

Alex

Drove the recently decommissioned SR 290 today from end to end. Shields are still in place for the route along U.S. 90, after SR 291 in both directions and on both directions of SR 291, and on CR 95A north and south. Missing are the first west and eastbound reassurance markers, though those have been gone for years now. Oddly the SR 291 shield assembly on Olive Road east disappeared some years ago too.

The extended SR 750 has shields posted after SR 289 and SR 291 in both directions, but still nothing at U.S. 29.

FLRoads

In the planning stages of working on some Interstate 75 pages in Florida, I came across this change I forgot to mention about in my travel back to lower Alabama from southwest Florida:

Until sometime in mid-2011, signage approaching this interchange reflected Exit 229 as being Mantaee County 6, not Manatee County 683. Photo taken 12/26/2011 by ABRoads.

Until sometime in mid-2011, signage at this interchange reflected Exit 229 as being Mantaee County 6, not Manatee County 683. Photo taken 12/26/2011 by ABRoads.

However, there was no visible signage indicating Manatee County 683 at the bottom of the off-ramp, nor on eastbound Moccasin-Wallow Road.

NE2

Huh. They finally changed CR 6. FDOT actually inventories it as CR 675 except for the westernmost 3/4 mile (west of Gillette, where old SR 683 turned south).

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

formulanone

Always wondered why it was CR 6. Just a long-time error, or completely intentional?

Geez, it's been that way to my eyes since 1992.

florida

Quote from: formulanone on March 21, 2012, 04:39:05 PM
Always wondered why it was CR 6. Just a long-time error, or completely intentional?

Geez, it's been that way to my eyes since 1992.

I think it's intentional as there's been a CR 10 on Erie Road, shown on Manatee County highway maps.
So many roads...so little time.

FLRoads

Looks like FDOT is going to launch some toll studies for the Tampa Bay area interstates over the summer:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/transportation/roads/idea-of-toll-lanes-to-be-studied-for-tampa-bays-interstates/1221603

If this were to come to fruition, it would add a lot of "Lexus lane" mileage to the interstate system.

jwolfer

Quote from: NE2 on March 17, 2012, 06:19:15 AM
Looks like more 9A signs are being changed to 295: http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2012-03-12/story/9a-steadily-becoming-i-295-beltway

SR 9A will be relegated to the secret knowledge of road-geekdome.  We all know that I-295 IS SR 9A

formulanone

Quote from: jwolfer on March 29, 2012, 09:41:52 AM
SR 9A will be relegated to the secret knowledge of road-geekdome.  We all know that I-295 IS SR9A.

...along with I-95 south of the Golden Glades Interchange.

jwolfer

Quote from: formulanone on March 29, 2012, 11:01:54 AM
Quote from: jwolfer on March 29, 2012, 09:41:52 AM
SR 9A will be relegated to the secret knowledge of road-geekdome.  We all know that I-295 IS SR9A.

...along with I-95 south of the Golden Glades Interchange.

I forgot about that. 

DeaconG

Update on the I-95 widening project in Brevard County:

The new inner lanes are paved and guardrails set up between Garden Street (SR 406) and Fox Lake Road and from the Beachline to Port St. John Parkway.  Grading and preparations for paving are occurring from south of the Fox Lake Road overpass to State Road 50 and from the Port St. John Parkway overpass to just short of the Ranch Road overpass.

Progress is also being made on widening the bridge over the Addison Canal and the widening of the interstate at the SR 50 interchange (the last time I took that exit they were setting pilings for the bridge).

The only areas not yet touched are between north of Ranch Road and south of the Addison Canal, but they seem to be moving at a good clip.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Alex

The recently observed FDOT-installed Clearview sign along Interstate 10.

NE2

FDOT is planning a Baldwin bypass on US 301: http://www.us301northflorida.com/us301northflorida/News/NewsDetail.aspx?NewsID=69
Interesting that they bought right-of-way in the 1970s.

florida

I like the routing of the 1970s ROW since it seems to be less tedious and time-consuming than building a completely new intersection south of town which will (from the looks of it) be controlled by a traffic signal. It also keeps traffic on a straighter path through Baldwin.
So many roads...so little time.

NE2

The new alignment has the advantage of going over the railroad, a major line from Jacksonville west into the Panhandle.

mefailenglish

Quote from: formulanone on March 11, 2012, 03:02:09 AM
Found this three weeks ago...about the only reference to SR 821 in the field:
Before they pulled out the toll booths and replaced the HEFT signage in the last year or so, the BGS's on northbound US 27 near that exit actually had FL 821 shields posted on them.  I thought I had a picture of that assembly but I'll be darned if I can find it now.

formulanone

Quote from: mefailenglish on April 14, 2012, 07:53:15 PM
Quote from: formulanone on March 11, 2012, 03:02:09 AM
Found this three weeks ago...about the only reference to SR 821 in the field:
Before they pulled out the toll booths and replaced the HEFT signage in the last year or so, the BGS's on northbound US 27 near that exit actually had FL 821 shields posted on them.  I thought I had a picture of that assembly but I'll be darned if I can find it now.

Okay, so I know I'm not going nuts...saw that myself back in '93. Maybe it's because  US 27 was the original terminus of the HEFT, or that everything around a US Route always seems to demand a greater level of "precision" in signage.

D-Dey65

Quote from: florida on March 16, 2012, 12:09:03 AM
^^I like that!

On Sunday, I tracked across North Florida to get some last keys shields photographed.

-ALL colored shields along Alt 27 in Levy County are gone. The only holdout may be CR 241.
Even this one on Southbound Levy CR 341?

That sucks. It also sucks that I can't get a bigger version posted on Image Venue.

Alex

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 15, 2012, 12:04:52 PM
Quote from: florida on March 16, 2012, 12:09:03 AM
^^I like that!

On Sunday, I tracked across North Florida to get some last keys shields photographed.

-ALL colored shields along Alt 27 in Levy County are gone. The only holdout may be CR 241.
Even this one on Southbound Levy CR 341?
That sucks. It also sucks that I can't get a bigger version posted on Image Venue.

Yes, verified that was gone in December 2011. As mefailenglish reported, none of the US 19-27A-98 colored shields are left.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.