News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mefailenglish

Quote from: Alex on April 15, 2012, 02:36:23 PM
Yes, verified that was gone in December 2011. As mefailenglish reported, none of the US 19-27A-98 colored shields are left.
If it's any consolation, I found a couple of "new" (to me) Green 27 shields this weekend while roading around Glades, Hendry, and Highlands Counties.

Instead of taking 27 up the whole way, I decided to drive CR 720, which loops much closer to Lake Okeechobee than US 27.  It's a narrow two-lane road with a rather sharp (for Florida standards) dropoff on either side.  This was the only shield I saw in either direction along the entire route.  I almost hit a baby gator who was lying half on the shoulder/incline and half in my lane.  He moved out of my way in time.

The only Glades CR 721A shield on the route.  It's a spur of CR 721 in the middle of the Brighton Seminole reservation.  I took this route on my way back south; it turned into a dirt road (Red Barn Road) and ends at the bizarre stub of CR 74 (which is signed North despite running due east/west) in Lakeport.

This C-721 shield is posted just south of SR 70.

Here's one of them.  On CR 17 north of Lake Placid (the piece of CR 17 that runs between US 27 and US 98).

Here's the other.  This one is on CR 29, south of Lake Placid.

roadman65

Is FL 56 ever going to go beyond Bruce B. Downs Boulevard in Pasco County?  FL 54 is too congested from I-75 to Zephyrhills and there is hardly any ROW to widen it, and extending FL 56 as a four lane expressway with it zoned for no businesses would be best all the way to FL 39.  Right now from Orlando to Pasco County you need to either go west on SR 50 to I-75 or I-4 to either US 98 or SR 39 or all the way to I-75 to reach there. 

If you went all the way to the New Port Richey area having FL 56 to FL 39 would be a godsend as you would have a nice clean run if this corridor was completed to here at least.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

CR 720 is not to be fooled with in Glades County; zero run-off for much of the route. It used to be in really poor shape (no guardrails, very bumpy) until recently.

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on April 15, 2012, 10:54:44 PM
Is FL 56 ever going to go beyond Bruce B. Downs Boulevard in Pasco County?
It already does. It's planned to go farther to SR 39. See page 11/38 of the summary report here: http://www.pascocountyfl.net/index.aspx?NID=327
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

D-Dey65

Quote from: NE2 on April 15, 2012, 11:39:50 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 15, 2012, 10:54:44 PM
Is FL 56 ever going to go beyond Bruce B. Downs Boulevard in Pasco County?
It already does. It's planned to go farther to SR 39. See page 11/38 of the summary report here: http://www.pascocountyfl.net/index.aspx?NID=327
Right now it only goes to Meadow Pointe Boulevard, but I thought the eastern terminus was supposed to be at US 301.

florida

Very interesting...

SR 160 has been added to the SHS on March 26th. It consists of Timberlane Road between SR 61 (Thomasville Rd) and SR 261/US 319 (Capital Circle NE) for a total of 0.114 miles.

So this is SR 162's (Raymond Diehl Rd) little sibling.

EtA: SR 293 from the just north of the Toll Plaza to SR 20 has been turned over to Okaloosa County (1.676 miles), and a tiny section near the toll plaza where the realigned portion is has been physically removed with the r/w retained per a realignment (0.139 miles).
So many roads...so little time.

NE2

Quote from: florida on April 17, 2012, 12:21:40 AM
SR 160 has been added to the SHS on March 26th. It consists of Timberlane Road between SR 61 (Thomasville Rd) and SR 261/US 319 (Capital Circle NE) for a total of 0.114 miles.
Is this signed for any movements? Seems that they could close the left from SR 61 north onto I-10 west by using this.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

florida

Quote from: NE2 on April 17, 2012, 01:07:56 AM
Quote from: florida on April 17, 2012, 12:21:40 AM
Is this signed for any movements? Seems that they could close the left from SR 61 north onto I-10 west by using this.

Now, it's just a single, stand-alone 'TO I-10' trailblazer. I'm pretty sure previous to the additional I-10 interchange on US 319 itself it was signed for I-10 West if you were coming north on US 319. [Will locate some photos of mine to see if I took any.]

rickmastfan67

FL-392A seems to be having an identity crisis.  At both of it's ends @ FL-30, it's posted at FL-392 (1, 2, & 3).  However, I've found the following two+ shields (1 & 2) in the middle of the route that have the "A" in them.  I know, the GIS data shows the route as 392A, but FDOT needs to post it properly as 392A or just renumber it as 392.

NE2

Or make it part of 30.

florida

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on April 22, 2012, 06:57:24 AM
FL-392A seems to be having an identity crisis.  At both of it's ends @ FL-30, it's posted at FL-392 (1, 2, & 3).  However, I've found the following two+ shields (1 & 2) in the middle of the route that have the "A" in them.  I know, the GIS data shows the route as 392A, but FDOT needs to post it properly as 392A or just renumber it as 392.

There's also a couple of Keys shields on a side road stating 392.
-----------------------

Took a trip to the Jacksonville area earlier today.

Things that have been removed:
-The C-110 shield on Duval Road
-Former US 17's routing on Roosevelt, now street-signed as Old Roosevelt, between US 17 and SR 129. All four lanes of concrete have been completely ripped up. Also, part of Post Street between McDuff and the former one-way pair split has been completely ripped up. Any traffic signals facing in either of those directions have been body-bagged.
-SR 9A shields on the East Beltway. It's all signed as I-295 [except the signs have not been changed on I-95 NB at Exit 337]. Heading south on I-295 from Orange Park, the I-95 exit is listed as Exit 61A-B even though you just passed Exit 3 (Old St. Augustine Rd).

Newly discovered items:
-The Clark Road on-ramp indeed has a button-copy BGS for I-95. All of it is button-copy except for the shield.
-Not one, but TWO S-125 shields tucked away in Baker County. The dates on the back looked to be stamped 1968 and they haven't changed any bit since then.
-The two C-15A shields in Nassau County. Probably because the road itself is not signed properly  at its termini.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: florida on April 26, 2012, 03:08:26 AM
Things that have been removed:
-The C-110 shield on Duval Road

Dang it, I wanted to get a new shot of it the next time I was down there with my new camera. :(

-SR 9A shields on the East Beltway. It's all signed as I-295 [except the signs have not been changed on I-95 NB at Exit 337]. Heading south on I-295 from Orange Park, the I-95 exit is listed as Exit 61A-B even though you just passed Exit 3 (Old St. Augustine Rd).

It's been posted as 61A/B since the entire interchange opened once reconstructed. I have pictures from at least '06 showing the numbers.

Alex

I wrote FDOT about the lack of CR 399 signage on US 98 at Navarre Beach Causeway (there is only one sign, and it is an eastbound JCT shield) in December. Received a copy of a traffic operations request evaluation/recommendation yesterday for the installation of the missing signs.

CR 399 was FL 399, but maintenance of the roadway was turned over from the state to the county in 2004 when tolls were removed from the Navarre Beach Bridge. State road signage was still in place until sometime in 2006, when all shields disappeared. More at https://www.aaroads.com/guide.php?page=c0399fl

mefailenglish

-The two C-15A shields in Nassau County. Probably because the road itself is not signed properly  at its termini.
I stumbled on one of those just by pure accident.  Caught it out of the corner of my eye while driving up 301.

-Not one, but TWO S-125 shields tucked away in Baker County. The dates on the back looked to be stamped 1968 and they haven't changed any bit since then.
NICE.  Looks like I need to head to Baker County.  Maybe in two weeks.

florida

Some highlights from the past month.

florida

This is on Clark Road in Jax.

florida

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on April 26, 2012, 03:26:06 AM

It's been posted as 61A/B since the entire interchange opened once reconstructed. I have pictures from at least '06 showing the numbers.

I didn't realize it was posted like that. Hadn't been on that stretch of I-295 since it was connected with SR 9A.

roadman65

I see a new overpass being constructed across I-4 in the Lake Buena Vista area.  The project takes place between Central Florida Parkway (Exit 71) and SR 535 (Exit 68).   Piles are now driven in to the ground for the retaining walls, but I was wondering what road this will be when completed.

Of course it is a developer to the east side of the interstate flipping the bill for his development.  Will it go between two major roads when completed, or is it just a spur of Palm Parkway where I assume it will connect west of I-4?

Also, new signage has been erected EB on I-4 at SR 528 with the airport logos with the International Airport along with the two full gantries removed.  Now the two at exit signs are on half gantries and up to date and with the airplane logo it should help international tourists out better.  I have not been this way in months, so I assume it was done earlier this year sometime.  Around Christmas last year the old signs were still up when I visited there last.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on May 07, 2012, 06:41:38 PM
I see a new overpass being constructed across I-4 in the Lake Buena Vista area.  The project takes place between Central Florida Parkway (Exit 71) and SR 535 (Exit 68).   Piles are now driven in to the ground for the retaining walls, but I was wondering what road this will be when completed.
http://www.ocfl.net/TrafficTransportation/RoadwayProjects/WildwoodAreaRoadNetworkIIRCA.aspx
The road will be named Wildwood Avenue.

Ace10

New State Road 429 Toll shields with the yellow banners are making their appearances in Orlando. These are at the intersection of FL 429 and Orange CR 535.

There are still some green-bannered trailblazers posted closer to the actual on/off-ramps. The original green-bannered signs that these yellow-bannered ones replaced seemed to be in good condition (at least last time I saw them in October of last year), so ... I guess there goes the assumption that the old signs are being replaced as they wear out.

formulanone

Florida enjoys replacing perfectly good (or even great) signs with new ones. In about 5 years, the orange border will fade...although I kind of like the orange border.

agentsteel53

Quote from: formulanone on May 09, 2012, 01:14:04 PM
Florida enjoys replacing perfectly good (or even great) signs with new ones.

even the counties are getting into it now ... but luckily there still remain signs as old as the late 1950s if you know where to look.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

realjd

I liked the orange outline with the green banner, but am I the only one here who doesn't like the look of the orange outline with the yellow banner?

At least they seem to be keeping the green for reassurance markers.

Ace10

I think the orange state outline with the yellow toll banner looks funky too. The two colors don't really go together in my opinion. The green and orange sort of reminds me of an orange tree (now that I think about it) which is very appropriate for Florida. But the black state outline with the yellow toll banner signs are really growing on me and I'm starting to like those more and more.

Also, I'm expecting them to replace the shields on directional signs on BGSs (they did some in Miami) but those are of course more expensive than simple trailblazers or standalone directional signs/reassurance markers.

florida

Quote from: formulanone on April 15, 2012, 11:04:17 PM
CR 720 is not to be fooled with in Glades County; zero run-off for much of the route. It used to be in really poor shape (no guardrails, very bumpy) until recently.

Surprising since it was a Primary State Road and was the last SR decommissioned in the early 80s, down in Glades County.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.